Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:25 PM

109 posts, read 437,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
I didn't mean to insult Waterbury, but I have formed that impression from many posts and some google street views. I've only ever driven through on 84. Good schools are more of a concern.

It seems like southington may be my best bet. I don't think I want to commute more than 20 minutes (ruling out west hartford). What I don't like about southington is it's suburban sprawly street network - it doesn't seem very walkable.

Maybe I'm spoiled where I live now (Northampton, MA).
it's only a 75 minute commute from here to waterbury w/o traffic!! .. but maybe its worth it? I love Northampton.
Have you checked out Litchfield? It is about 20-25 minutes to the north of Waterbury. Lovely town and has a vibrant downtown area although not urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:00 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolerinCT View Post
Have you checked out Litchfield? It is about 20-25 minutes to the north of Waterbury. Lovely town and has a vibrant downtown area although not urban.
I may be wrong on this, and this may be less true in this economy, but I've heard that Litchfield is relatively expensive for where it is because of lots of wealthy NYers buying 2nd homes (though I do know someone who moved there permanently from Brooklyn who said it's not true in all areas of the county). Beautiful area though.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM

35 posts, read 87,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I may be wrong on this, and this may be less true in this economy, but I've heard that Litchfield is relatively expensive for where it is because of lots of wealthy NYers buying 2nd homes (though I do know someone who moved there permanently from Brooklyn who said it's not true in all areas of the county). Beautiful area though.
you are correct. Drive through the woods / vineyards of western CT and there are more NY plates than CT plates (exaggeration for effect). A good friend of mine grew up in New Milford, and part of their biggest problem there is politicians and voters with the interest in keeping it rural and keeping business out. These are by individuals with 2nd homes there, and it is to the detriment of the working-class resident of that town.

Litchfield can be pricey but does have a nice downtown area. however, towns like that don't have the types of downtowns you "frequent", unless you frequently buy antiques, etc. There is no Palace theater, restaurants are limited, access to the major highways are limited, etc.

To the OP: if schooling is an issue, Southington may not be your "box of juice" either. Although it is technically the "town" of southington, the dirty little secret is that it is so large it is, technically, a city. Southington High School is IMMENSE. whereas Waterbury has 4 Private, 1 Technical, and 3 Public High Schools, Southington has 1 Public, and just recently opened this year 1 Private high school (to my knowledge, thats it). southignton also has a Vocational/Agricultural program which brings in students from different towns as well. It is one of the biggest if not THE biggest high school in CT. I was always raised in a smaller-class, smaller-school environment. If that is what you are looking for, southignton public won't be your ticket. And for the record, if your child does any sports or other after-school activities, they better be incredible because the talent pool is so large there.

75 minutes is a long commute, and this is coming from a guy who Lives in Waterbury, works in Newington, takes classes in Bloomfield, and trains in New Haven - all in one day. I did a bing maps search on Northampton, and you are near Rte91 it seems. I don't know what time you plan on getting through Hartford and onto 84 to take you to Waterbury in 75 minutes, but it better be 5:30AM, 3PM, or 8:30PM. Hartford traffic is a nightmare. For reference, I live on the Wolcott border of Waterbury, and to get to the Windsor Locks border used to take me 45 minutes doing 80-something on straightaways on a clear day with no traffic. 91 through Chicopee/Agawam area is undergoing some construction too right now which will also slow you down. I would suggest you move because that commute would be absolutely attrocious, or if you really truly love Northampton so much, don't take the job in Waterbury.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,037 times
English is a second language for the majority of people living in Waterbury. I use to teach there. Glad I got out of there.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,331 times
I lived in Waterbury for 8 months; I recently moved from the Bronx, NYC. I have mixed feelings because there are many ghetto neighborhoods but the shopping areas are nice especially the mall. I feel alot safer going to most stores than I did in the Bronx and the Bronx is overlysaturated with ghetto people. Warning to all decent working people, make sure you drive out ghetto people out of your neighborhoods

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pshiz View Post
I lived in Waterbury for 8 months; I recently moved from the Bronx, NYC. I have mixed feelings because there are many ghetto neighborhoods but the shopping areas are nice especially the mall. I feel alot safer going to most stores than I did in the Bronx and the Bronx is overlysaturated with ghetto people. Warning to all decent working people, make sure you drive out ghetto people out of your neighborhoods
Waterbury is cheap/undesirable and has lots of state assisted housing. They ain't going anywhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pshiz View Post
HMM, what do they say, the grass is always greener..... (no need to 'bump' a 2 year old thread either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut