U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,250 times
Default Moving to Hartford County, CT from NYC - Clueless on area!!

Hello All - I am new to this community and am very hopeful that someone can provide some direction. We are considering moving to Connecticut from NYC (Queens) for work purposes. We will be working in Hartford County (Berlin) and are totally unfamiliar with the area. We have two small children, so schools are very important. We are looking to buy a nice home. Not looking to break the bank on the house, but we have some wiggle room to purchase something nice(~500K). We are looking for a family friendly area where city folks can get the best of both worlds (safe suburb living with plenty of shopping, restaurants and family activities). In looking at the map, it seems as if this location borders Middlesex and New Haven - Any suggestions on desirable towns that fit this criteria????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 PM

3,183 posts, read 5,707,938 times
Hmm ...

West Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Berlin, Kensington, Glastonbury, Middletown, and Cromwell are the first towns for that area that come to mind.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM

2,600 posts, read 5,788,453 times
Berlin itself is nice and has good schools.
Nearby would be Cromwell, Rocky Hill, Southington and Glastonbury all of which have good schools.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM

14,049 posts, read 21,781,482 times
I agree with the suggestion others have made. These towns have good to excellent schools and are very nice. You can buy a very nice home for your price there. The links below will give you informaiton on the schools. Look for towns with schools that perform above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery Test and Connecticut Academic Performance Test and have class sizes less than 23 students. I hope this helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM

6,472 posts, read 7,790,381 times
I did some work for the Rocky Hill and Middletown school districts this summer so at least of the two I would say Rocky Hill is the better one

Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I did some work for the Rocky Hill and Middletown school districts this summer so at least of the two I would say Rocky Hill is the better one

I did not see that someone had mentioned Middletown. Middletown is actually a small city and it has some typical urban issues. Schools there perform below the state average on the Connecticut Mastery Tests and the Connecticut Academic Performance Test. Many families in Middletown send their kids to private schools particularly for high school.

Of the towns mentioned, West Hartford and Glastonbury probably have the best performing schools. Bu you should know that you will pay more for a home in these than other towns because of the schools. Rocky Hill also has very good schools. JMHO, Jay

Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,875,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I did not see that someone had mentioned Middletown. Middletown is actually a small city and it has some typical urban issues. Schools there perform below the state average on the Connecticut Mastery Tests and the Connecticut Academic Performance Test. Many families in Middletown send their kids to private schools particularly for high school.

Of the towns mentioned, West Hartford and Glastonbury probably have the best performing schools. Bu you should know that you will pay more for a home in these than other towns because of the schools. Rocky Hill also has very good schools. JMHO, Jay
My sister did some student teaching a few years ago in Middletown. Schools here are OK. Not great but not horrible either.

There's nothing egrigiously wrong with Berlin but there are so many other - and better - towns to live in. Schools are good, but of the towns mentioned earlier it would be last on my list -- especially if I had the option to choose between other towns that Jay and others mentioned earlier. Glatonbury schools are great but the town is east of the river and therefore further from Berlin.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Glastonbury is east of the river but that does not make it far from Berlin. I can get to most parts of Berlin in 20 to 30 minutes even during rush hour, so it would not be a bad commute. Jay

Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,875,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Glastonbury is east of the river but that does not make it far from Berlin. I can get to most parts of Berlin in 20 to 30 minutes even during rush hour, so it would not be a bad commute. Jay
Well I didn't mean to say it was far. But unlike Rocky Hill and Newington, it does not share a border with Berlin so it's not right next door. Really, that's what I mean. I probably should have clarified, my bad

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM

6,472 posts, read 7,790,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Hmm ...

West Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Berlin, Kensington, Glastonbury, Middletown, and Cromwell are the first towns for that area that come to mind.
Jay, it was this post where Middletown was mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut