Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I think that it is strange that she was shocked. I think that there is a lot more intolerance in the world than people realize. The field of education stresses tolerance and diversity to the point that students and educators seem to think that discrimination doesn't exist and are usually very shocked when they encounter it. I would prefer that the U.S. be portrayed as it really is--a country full of very different peoples with very different, but equally valid, ideas. In fact, isn't that really what teaching diversity is?

I think that one of the things that makes our country great is the diversity of opinions and thought. Even when I don't agree with what some people say, I do believe it is important that they have the right to say it. However, I believe that the person who left the note in her mailbox crossed a line; in fact, I believe that it would be deemed legally as harassment (which was why he/she chose to remain anonymous; otherwise, the teacher could have pressed charges).

Too bad whoever left that note felt that they did not have a public forum in which to express his/her ideas without fear of reprisal. If so, perhaps he/she would not have anonymously targeted this teacher.

You really need to get off this ridiculous argument. Advocating the elmination of the Jewish people through violence is not part of the diversity of opinion that makes this country great.

Of course under your theory, if you're consistent, advocating violence against those with totally idiotic opinions would be kosher too...

Stop it already. Again (for at least the fourth time), no proponent of teaching tolerance includes advocacy of violence, hatred of minorities, or out and out crime in the "diversity" of outlooks and opinions that need to be taught and acknowledged by society.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't remember doing any of those things, and I have been Jewish all my life.

And personally, I think you need a little historical perspective. Or maybe you're just trying to justify your own anti-semitisim.

Very well put!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
I don't remember doing any of those things, and I have been Jewish all my life.

And personally, I think you need a little historical perspective. Or maybe you're just trying to justify your own anti-semitisim.

I 2nd it, great post.....but it appears I already increased your rep points in the past.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
You really need to get off this ridiculous argument. Advocating the elmination of the Jewish people through violence is not part of the diversity of opinion that makes this country great.

Of course under your theory, if you're consistent, advocating violence against those with totally idiotic opinions would be kosher too...

Stop it already. Again (for at least the fourth time), no proponent of teaching tolerance includes advocacy of violence, hatred of minorities, or out and out crime in the "diversity" of outlooks and opinions that need to be taught and acknowledged by society.
I never advocated the elimination of Jewish people through violence, nor have I advocated any violence for that matter, and I have absolutely no idea how you interpreted my post as such.

What I am advocating is freedom of speech, which you obviously do not advocate (ahem, "Stop it already." )

Furthermore, do you realize how hostile and aggressive the tone of your post is? How can you speak out against violence and hatred when you post with such a hostile attitude?

And just so you know, I am not going to "stop it already." I, as well as every person on this forum, have a right to express my opinions, regardless of how you feel about them. I am certainly not going to censure myself b/c of you.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,037 times
Quote:
The field of education stresses tolerance and diversity to the point that students and educators seem to think that discrimination doesn't exist and are usually very shocked when they encounter it. I would prefer that the U.S. be portrayed as it really is--a country full of very different peoples with very different, but equally valid, ideas. In fact, isn't that really what teaching diversity is?
Wrong, wrong, and wrong on so many levels.

NO ONE should be tolerant of hate.

Educators constantly teach the golden rule: treat others as you want them to treat you. Furthermore, they would add get off your butt and stand up for what is right. Do something when people are being bullied and harrassed.

These nazi scum have views that are not valid, sane nor equal. They HATE. I guess you can't see that and so my freedom of speech allows me to say you are just as bad as they are.

You are obviously not a teacher either.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:15 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2rock View Post
I guess you can't see that and so my freedom of speech allows me to say you are just as bad as they are.
Glad someone said it.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
I never advocated the elimination of Jewish people through violence, nor have I advocated any violence for that matter, and I have absolutely no idea how you interpreted my post as such.

What I am advocating is freedom of speech, which you obviously do not advocate (ahem, "Stop it already." )

Furthermore, do you realize how hostile and aggressive the tone of your post is? How can you speak out against violence and hatred when you post with such a hostile attitude?

And just so you know, I am not going to "stop it already." I, as well as every person on this forum, have a right to express my opinions, regardless of how you feel about them. I am certainly not going to censure myself b/c of you.
My suggestion for you to "Stop it already" was not intended to limit your free speech. It was intended for you to stop making an ass of yourself.

You keep siding with Nazis and accuse others of not being tolerant when we don't express sympathy to their views. Yes, you may say want you want. And apparently, myself and others are free to draw whatever conclusions we will from your posts.

I can't explain it to you any simpler or any clearer. No one is denying their right to demonstrate. Demonstration is part of the public discourse. As is denouncing the advocacy of hate and violence. I really don't know how else to explain that no one is being intolerant by denouncing antisemitism (or any hate groups) in the strongest terms. You seem bent on defending these groups for some reason, which makes me wonder about YOUR hostile attitude.

At first when you start posting this, I thought it was a joke, or perhaps a mistake. But now that insist on posting this ridiculous view over and over, I am forced to believe the worst about your intentions.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:01 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
It was intended for you to stop making an ass of yourself.
lol - awesome.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:05 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Posts like this sadden me. It's so wrong.

I will say this, my mom is from Germany and we are German-Jews by heritage but Christian by our religion. My mom was a child during WWII and my grandfather faught on the Germans' side.
It's sad how little people know of the holocaust and I've often had people use the word Germans/Nazis interchangeably. Germany is a very liberal and peaceful country and even mentioning Nazi's over there will get you thrown in jail just like threating to use a terrorist act over here will.

I can remember my grandmother talking about how during WWII Germany, there were a lot of stores that were becoming more and more Jewish owned and they pretty much shut out the Germans. They could not get hired. Then you had hyperinflation. Can you imagine that loaf of bread now costing you $10 or that milk costing you $15? My grandmother said you could beg them for food for your kids and they would not give it to you. So when you have a country that is literally starving and sinking deeper, it's easy for someone like Hitler to rise to the top. He fooled the German people because he was intelligent, well spoken and charasmatic. And by the time people realized what his agenda was and how crazy he was, it was too late. He had too much power. There were 6 million Jews lost in the Holocaust and 11 million others. So it wasn't just the Jews to suffered at the hands of the Nazis. There was a lot of suffering going on. It's a horrible and sad time in history.
Anyway, these people flying their Nazi flags are hateful and evil people. I believe in freedom of speech, however, I wish the use of a Nazi flag would get a person arrested like crying "bomb" in an airport would. We don't have 100% freedom of speech. There are things that you can say that would get you arrested. I wish that flag was one of them.
First off, I heard it was 11 million TOTAL, that is about 5 million others, not 11 million others. There are a lot of websites that give that number (the 11 million total). You are right that it still means there are a lot of non-Jewish victims, but the reason the mostly the Jews are mentioned regarding Holocaust deaths are two-fold:

1) Hitler specifically targeted the Jews for death, whereas other groups were mostly marginalized (the one exception being gays, who were also targeted for death). Many of the 5 million other deaths were Germans brave enough to openly oppose Hitler, or Slavic groups targeted for slave labor who eventually died from that (not to say that that is much/any better than being gassed/shot on the spot).

2) The 6 million Jews killed were 1/3 of the entire Jewish population of the world at the time, and over 90% of Europe's Jewish population, a substantial genocide.

That said, you do make a good point, and a decent explanation of how all this could happen in a "civilized" country (I've said in other posts that people can think wild things and do desparate things and scapegoat like there's no tomorrow when their pocketbook has gone bare for a long time).

I'm pretty surprised you grandfather was able to fight on the German side if you had "Jewish heritage" as in the early days of Nazi Germany, even people with slight Jewish heritage were targeted for the camps and later on were still never really allowed into the army or gov't (I may have this spelled wrong, but I think "mischingle" that was the term the Nazis used for people of partial or remote Jewish heritage regardless of religion). Or did you mean he fought in WW I (which did have Jewish soldiers on the German side)?

I was a little disturbed by the part where you said, "a lot of stores that were becoming more and more Jewish owned and they pretty much shut out the Germans" and do not understand that. While it is likely true that a lot of stores were owned by Jews in German cities, I hardly think they only sold to Jews (unless forced to by the Nazis) nor were the Jews intentionally shutting the Germans out of the business world and it sounded like the kind of propoganda the German people were told in the early days of Hitler's reign.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
First off, I heard it was 11 million TOTAL, that is about 5 million others, not 11 million others. There are a lot of websites that give that number (the 11 million total). You are right that it still means there are a lot of non-Jewish victims, but the reason the mostly the Jews are mentioned regarding Holocaust deaths are two-fold:

1) Hitler specifically targeted the Jews for death, whereas other groups were mostly marginalized (the one exception being gays, who were also targeted for death). Many of the 5 million other deaths were Germans brave enough to openly oppose Hitler, or Slavic groups targeted for slave labor who eventually died from that (not to say that that is much/any better than being gassed/shot on the spot).

2) The 6 million Jews killed were 1/3 of the entire Jewish population of the world at the time, and over 90% of Europe's Jewish population, a substantial genocide.

That said, you do make a good point, and a decent explanation of how all this could happen in a "civilized" country (I've said in other posts that people can think wild things and do desparate things and scapegoat like there's no tomorrow when their pocketbook has gone bare for a long time).

I'm pretty surprised you grandfather was able to fight on the German side if you had "Jewish heritage" as in the early days of Nazi Germany, even people with slight Jewish heritage were targeted for the camps and later on were still never really allowed into the army or gov't (I may have this spelled wrong, but I think "mischingle" that was the term the Nazis used for people of partial or remote Jewish heritage regardless of religion). Or did you mean he fought in WW I (which did have Jewish soldiers on the German side)?

I was a little disturbed by the part where you said, "a lot of stores that were becoming more and more Jewish owned and they pretty much shut out the Germans" and do not understand that. While it is likely true that a lot of stores were owned by Jews in German cities, I hardly think they only sold to Jews (unless forced to by the Nazis) nor were the Jews intentionally shutting the Germans out of the business world and it sounded like the kind of propoganda the German people were told in the early days of Hitler's reign.
I learned in college that the numbers range between 11-17 million total. Nobody really knows the exact number but it's believed to be higher than 11 million. I know Wikipedia is not always accurate but it's another source of that info anyway.
The Holocaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for whether Germans were shut out of working, that is one of those things where the answer is most likely in the middle. There is always some truth to a rumor. Now were the Jews scapegoats for what was going on in the Weimar Republic? Absolutely. They were not 100% to blame as the Germans were led to believe. But it's naive to think that there were not many Jewish owned businesses and that they did not contribute to hyperinflation. Of course they did. Of course not all businesses were soley owned by Jews, but many of them were and the tiny town where my grandparents lived they definitely were.

We are talking about a poor town that could only be compared to towns in the Appalaccians here. So I'm not in any way shape or form even suggesting that Jewish people deserved what happened to them. My gosh no. My ancestors were Jews from Germany as well as Poland! However, for the Nazi's to come into power like they did, there had to be something to go by. They didn't just wake up one day and say "Hey let's go after the Jews!" They took some truth and ran with it. It's very easy for there to be resentfullness toward an ethnic group when you are hurting.

Talk to any economics major and they should be able to disccuss at length hyperinflation and the effect it had on the Germany and how more and more businesses became soley Jewish owned and operated. Why is that so hard to believe?

My point was, it wasn't just Jews that suffered at the hands of the Nazi's. There were a lot of people who lost their lives. And to think that a progessive state like CT could still have people so ignorant to fly a flag sickens me.

Quote:
I hardly think they only sold to Jews
No they were willing to sell to Germans at the inflated rate! Hence the hyperinflation. However they would only hire Jewish people to work. That is what I meant by "shut out" . Many of these businesses would not hire Germans. All of them? No. But many of them. That is pretty much undisputed in any history book or economics class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut