Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:36 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Low Pressure System coming from South once again. It'll travel along the gulf coast and then up the east coast. The exact track obviously is uncertain but if air is cold enough, we'll get snow here.

The pattern continues with these systems coming up the coast thanks to El Nino being West bound more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Not good news really. The storm last year decimated many of the First Night Events. A repeat performance may lead to the end of the (really cool) alcohol free alternative on New Years Eve.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:20 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
And the shame being (which I already noted in another forum so I won't re-bore with details), actualy snowstorms/blizzards on New Year's Eve are pretty rare.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
For us New Year's Eve is a day like any other, I wouldn't mind snow. But not another foot like the last storm we had, that was too much of a good thing.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
And the shame being (which I already noted in another forum so I won't re-bore with details), actualy snowstorms/blizzards on New Year's Eve are pretty rare.
How is it more rare on NYE than any other day during the winter season? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How is it more rare on NYE than any other day during the winter season? I'm genuinely curious.
Just luck of the date, not the climatology at all, good question. Kind of like if you look at "records for the date" for any winter month (I'll use Hartford for this example), the record lows for most days are in the "minus teens", but a couple of others are in the "minus 20s" because of unusually historic cold days, yet a couple of others are "only near 0" because by pure chance those dates did not get unusually cold days ever.

In the other thread, I used the ball-drop at Times Square since there's a site I noted there that chronicles the weather. The last time a significant snowstorm occured at the ball-drop was in 1967.

Maybe a more accurate statement is "we're overdue for a New Year's Eve/Day blizzard".

Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
There is now 2 different storms that could hit us. Still early but models are all in agreement.

And there is also a chance instead of 2 seperate storms,...we get hit with 1 major super storm when they collide together.

Stay tuned. Lots of interest on this storm.

You can go here- lots of pros who know about reading models and maps.
Scroll down to particular storm.
AccuWeather.com Forums -> Current Weather - United States

Old 12-27-2009, 08:08 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
CT has the "fortune" of being served by 3 National Weather Service offices...

If you are in Litchfield, your official forecast comes from Albany, NY - National Weather Service Forecast Office - Albany, New York

If you are in Fairfield/New Haven/Middlesex/New London - your forecast comes from NWS NY - National Weather Service Forecast Office - New York, NY

If you are in Hartford/Tolland/Windham - your forecast comes from NWS Taunton (Boston) - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box

Avoid the TV and pay site (Accuweather) hype...they love to play up the holiday storms for ratings. Although I will say Fox in Hartfold has a good track record this past year.

Last edited by alexei27; 12-27-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Just luck of the date, not the climatology at all, good question. Kind of like if you look at "records for the date" for any winter month (I'll use Hartford for this example), the record lows for most days are in the "minus teens", but a couple of others are in the "minus 20s" because of unusually historic cold days, yet a couple of others are "only near 0" because by pure chance those dates did not get unusually cold days ever.

In the other thread, I used the ball-drop at Times Square since there's a site I noted there that chronicles the weather. The last time a significant snowstorm occured at the ball-drop was in 1967.

Maybe a more accurate statement is "we're overdue for a New Year's Eve/Day blizzard".
Interesting. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
CT has the "fortune" of being served by 3 National Weather Service offices...

If you are in Litchfield, your official forecast comes from Albany, NY - National Weather Service Forecast Office - Albany, New York

If you are in Fairfield/New Haven/Middlesex/New London - your forecast comes from NWS NY - National Weather Service Forecast Office - New York, NY

If you are in Hartford/Tolland/Windham - your forecast comes from NWS Taunton (Boston) - Homepage of The National Weather Service Forecast Office in Taunton, MA.

Avoid the TV and pay site (Accuweather) hype...they love to play up the holiday storms for ratings. Although I will say Fox in Hartfold has a good track record this past year.
If you go to any of those NWS sites, there is a "forecast discussion" section where they actually talk about all of their uncertainties with a given forecast. You don't need to be a "weather expert" to understand what is said in their discussion and it's very interesting. Sometimes the "Boston" discussion may have a different take than the "Albany" or "NYC" discussion (sometimes I look at the "Philly" NWS site as well (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi) because of where I live since they cover the entire southern 2/3 of NJ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut