Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Of course they get excited over a kill. Do you feel that way about fishermen who are happy they caught a fish? The extremes people go to to rationalize the irrational is truly amazing.
When I catch fish I release them back into the water. As it happens, I do feel guilty about fishing, though. I struggle with the cruelty aspect of it.

We've had illegal hunters around my house lately, I've had to report them to the police. I was out just this morning looking for them. The last time they were here I ran after them and confronted them. If my son hadn't been alone in the house I would have followed them, I think they live nearby and use the water company woods as their personal hunting ground. Losers. They know now that the lady on the hill is keeping an eye out for them. It's dangerous to be hunting with a gun in residential neighborhoods, but some hunters don't have the brain power to consider that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
When I catch fish I release them back into the water. As it happens, I do feel guilty about fishing, though. I struggle with the cruelty aspect of it.

We've had illegal hunters around my house lately, I've had to report them to the police. I was out just this morning looking for them. The last time they were here I ran after them and confronted them. If my son hadn't been alone in the house I would have followed them, I think they live nearby and use the water company woods as their personal hunting ground. Losers. They know now that the lady on the hill is keeping an eye out for them. It's dangerous to be hunting with a gun in residential neighborhoods, but some hunters don't have the brain power to consider that.
Just shoot them, they are tresspassing. Unless its city land then you're doing the right thing reporting them. Yes... I have noticed a correlation betweeen hunters and lack of brain cells for sure ... I'll stereotype and say "most" of them are the type that when conversating with someone they wont pause or stop talking when the other person talks...and its mostly BS coming out.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Heh. Hehehehehehee. And a hearty HAHAHA for kicks. Lemme tell ya about acorns and oak trees. And lawnmower blades. And holes in the ground where the squirrels hide nuts. Do you really want to hear this? Cause it's ugly. We're talking blood and dead things because lawnmower blades really HATE acorns. Or love them, depending on how fresh you like your blood. They suck them under the mower and SHOOT them out like missiles in random directions. Now imagine the lawnmower doing this with HUNDREDS of them, all because you dare to allow two oak trees to stand on your property. That's just two trees, and just your property, and just the part of your property that you happen to have a lawn. We won't count the whole back area of the property behind the fence, where there are 7 more oak trees, but no lawn to mow. A foot deep of acorns.

Lemme tell ya hon. There was no shortage of acorns in 2008-2009. They all fell in my back yard. In 2010, the massive population explosion of new squirrel families in the yard was clear evidence of the prosperity and good health, and acorn-cheeked fuzziness, of squirrels. The only reason the deer didn't show up was because they have to cross the highway, a secondary road, and a senior housing complex just to get to my back yard. The turkey vultures, however, had a field day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Learn about the nuts, much of the animal population decline is about nuts. In the autumn though winter of 2008-2009, the acorn crop failed. Along the entire eastern seaboard from Georgia through Maine, not a single species of oak tree produced much in the way of acorns.

No acorns, no acorns anywhere. And acorns are the primary autumn/ early winter food for wild turkeys and deer ( and of course other furry critters, like squirrels. ) They depend on the acorns as a high fat food to put on weight to get through the winter. Without those fat stores from autumn they can't make it through until spring.

The squirrel population is estimated to have dropped by 90%. The wild turkey population, which was out of control, was absolutely decimated. Deer starved.

Why did this happen/ ? Evidently it is a not unusual. Mother Nature is wise. Too many predators were eating the precious acorns and the oaks could not reproduce . They took revenge by stopping production and drastically reducing the population of animals which feed on them. The next year, acorn production went back to normal. This is considered to be a natural oak cycle.

Wolves predated on deer in colonial times through the early 1800's until the wolves were wiped out. The coyote is just stepping in to fill a predator niche which was unfilled.

And I'm not so sure just what those things are out there we call coyotes. I've seen western coyotes. They're little. Our coyotes are huge in comparison. They're all over my area, as are deer and wild turkeys. But some of the so-called New England coyotes are as big as German Shepherd dogs.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
One must be careful not to interpret scientific data by what is going on in one's own backyard. We're talking Eastern Seaboard, north Florida to Maine and Atlantic Ocean to 250 miles inland in general, not one house.

I have huge white oaks, scarlet oaks & pin oaks on my property. Not an acorn to be found in the " die off " winter. If you think you remember acorns two years ago, so be it.

The scientists are not talking about backyard squirrels. The proliferation of bird feeders and the autumn planting and existing numbers of spring flowering bulbs assures the survival of the city and suburban squirrel. It is the really wild squirrels, out in the deep woods, unaffected by human habitation, that scientists count.

And if you don't have a bird feeder in your yard, does not mean that 20 other homes or more in half mile radius don't. Remember, neither your home nor mine is the center of the universe.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just shoot them, they are tresspassing. Unless its city land then you're doing the right thing reporting them. Yes... I have noticed a correlation betweeen hunters and lack of brain cells for sure ... I'll stereotype and say "most" of them are the type that when conversating with someone they wont pause or stop talking when the other person talks...and its mostly BS coming out.

So your here telling people to commit murder over trespassing & think you have a right to comment on others brain cells? I'v yet to hear an intelligent comment from you on this subject. Most antihunters have little besided selfish rhetoric or insults to offer, you seem to fit the mold quite well.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
But do you label other fisherman as cruel barbarians? Fishing, even catch & release is MUCH more cruell than hunting is. You are tossing food into the water, hooking a living thing thru its mouth or in its guts, dragging it to the surface where it cant breathe & then not even eating it, but dropping it back so someone else can do it again. Boggles my mind that someone can do this & then whine about people killing deer & eating them.

Quote:
I'm not sure how much exposure you have to hunters to form such strong opinions. How do you know they were illegal? There are laws in this state, in order to hunt with a rifle you must be on 10 acres or more, not many neighborhoods have such large lots. Water company land is private property & often the allow hunting with permits. If you really think you have a problem I'd talk to them. They will have a list of hunters useing their land. Also the general firearms season is over anyway, although muzzleloader is open until Dec 31st, you should check game laws & regulations before going off half cocked.
I'v had the misfortune of being targeted by ignorant people more than once, every time I was allowed to continue my hunting & they got educations as to what exactly is legal or not & what exactly is private land. On several ocasions they got arrested for tresspassing or interrupting a legal hunt. Thats right YOU can be arrested for harassing a hunter, so it would pay for YOU to find out whats legal & not. Most of these people thought something was public when it was private, they were useing private property for recreation without permission yet were stupid enough to call the cops on me because I was hunting where they were walking their dogs or jogging or just walking. In CT we are hunting in a fish bowl so to speak. Theres a very good chance you will b e confronted so its wise to know the laws, most of us do. I think I probably know more hunters than you & they are usually respectable intelligent people not at all like the knuckleheads you try to make them out to be. The knuckle heads dont last long.
If those guys were within 500 feet of your house with a loaded gun they were breaking the law. If they were 505 feet from your house but just over the property line then they were perfectly legal. They may have been lost, might have been looking for better acess to the woods they have permission to hunt, or they may have been breaking the law. But you certainly have not presented anything indicateing which it is. Only that you didn't like it.

How much hunting or shooting have you dont that you know whether or not it can be done safely? They have hunts in CT all the time relatively close to residential areas & while people complain & get scared theres rarely any accidents. The guys you saw may have been useing shotguns which have a more limited range and were likely hunting from tree stands & shooting into the ground. I belong to a private club in Southington with a 100 & 200 yard rifle range and 50 yard pistol range. There are neighbors to the left & right as well as across the street, all within a couple hundred yards & theres never been any troubles other than noise. Its not difficult to shoot a firearm safely in a residential area, I'm not advocateing people do it, but I know it can be done.

Some of you act as if its a free for all & nothing could be further from the truth. The reality is that hunting has an extremely low accident rate and accidents involving non hunters are almost non existant. It gets bad publicity from ignorant people with nothing better to do but the fact is its a safe enjoyable sport that gives back much more than it takes away. Its beneficial to the wildlife as well as the states economy and benefits each & every one of us. Even if some are too narrowminded to grasp that tid bit.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 12-11-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
One must be careful not to interpret scientific data by what is going on in one's own backyard. We're talking Eastern Seaboard, north Florida to Maine and Atlantic Ocean to 250 miles inland in general, not one house.

I have huge white oaks, scarlet oaks & pin oaks on my property. Not an acorn to be found in the " die off " winter. If you think you remember acorns two years ago, so be it.

The scientists are not talking about backyard squirrels. The proliferation of bird feeders and the autumn planting and existing numbers of spring flowering bulbs assures the survival of the city and suburban squirrel. It is the really wild squirrels, out in the deep woods, unaffected by human habitation, that scientists count.

And if you don't have a bird feeder in your yard, does not mean that 20 other homes or more in half mile radius don't. Remember, neither your home nor mine is the center of the universe.

You are correct. In areas where nature dictates the availability of food the winter of 08/09 was tough & the number of deer & bear taken in states like NH, VT & ME the following year reflected that. Thats how nature works, things happen & life goes on. Some things die so others can live.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
But do you label other fisherman as cruel barbarians? Fishing, even catch & release is MUCH more cruell than hunting is. You are tossing food into the water, hooking a living thing thru its mouth or in its guts, dragging it to the surface where it cant breathe & then not even eating it, but dropping it back so someone else can do it again. Boggles my mind that someone can do this & then whine about people killing deer & eating them.
And you don't find it cruel that a lot of deer that hunters shoot run off and simply disappear, often dying a slow and cruel death needlessly because the hunter couldn't find it? That's what the hunters were doing behind my house, they had split up and were combing the woods trying to find the deer. I did hear the gun shot, but I don't know if it was a rifle or shotgun. Not sure if they ever found the poor thing or not.

Quote:

I'm not sure how much exposure you have to hunters to form such strong opinions. How do you know they were illegal? There are laws in this state, in order to hunt with a rifle you must be on 10 acres or more, not many neighborhoods have such large lots. Water company land is private property & often the allow hunting with permits. If you really think you have a problem I'd talk to them. They will have a list of hunters useing their land. Also the general firearms season is over anyway, although muzzleloader is open until Dec 31st, you should check game laws & regulations before going off half cocked.
I'v had the misfortune of being targeted by ignorant people more than once, every time I was allowed to continue my hunting & they got educations as to what exactly is legal or not & what exactly is private land. On several ocasions they got arrested for tresspassing or interrupting a legal hunt. Thats right YOU can be arrested for harassing a hunter, so it would pay for YOU to find out whats legal & not. Most of these people thought something was public when it was private, they were useing private property for recreation without permission yet were stupid enough to call the cops on me because I was hunting where they were walking their dogs or jogging or just walking. In CT we are hunting in a fish bowl so to speak. Theres a very good chance you will b e confronted so its wise to know the laws, most of us do. I think I probably know more hunters than you & they are usually respectable intelligent people not at all like the knuckleheads you try to make them out to be. The knuckle heads dont last long.
If those guys were within 500 feet of your house with a loaded gun they were breaking the law. If they were 505 feet from your house but just over the property line then they were perfectly legal. They may have been lost, might have been looking for better acess to the woods they have permission to hunt, or they may have been breaking the law. But you certainly have not presented anything indicateing which it is. Only that you didn't like it.

How much hunting or shooting have you dont that you know whether or not it can be done safely? They have hunts in CT all the time relatively close to residential areas & while people complain & get scared theres rarely any accidents. The guys you saw may have been useing shotguns which have a more limited range and were likely hunting from tree stands & shooting into the ground. I belong to a private club in Southington with a 100 & 200 yard rifle range and 50 yard pistol range. There are neighbors to the left & right as well as across the street, all within a couple hundred yards & theres never been any troubles other than noise. Its not difficult to shoot a firearm safely in a residential area, I'm not advocateing people do it, but I know it can be done.
I am not sure why you feel the need to attack my personally. Get off your soap box before jumping on my case, YOU are the one that's half-cocked. How dare you assume I don't know what I am talking about?! How do I know those rednecks were hunting illegally? Because it's fact. Hmm, perhaps all the no hunting and trespassing signs posted by the water company give an indication, for starters. And the water company does not issue hunting permits on the area behind my house, it is too small. No trespassing of any kind is allowed on that parcel of property, it's common knowledge in my neighborhood because of hunters in the past, and some neighbors have informed the water company. We've also had issues with kids on ATV's that people had to report. Occasionally some idiot puts up a tree stand, but us residents frequently look for them and knock them down. Last but not least, the hunters actually came onto MY property illegally (and ran off when he spotted me, which prompted me to chase him) as well as trespassing onto my neighbors' property. And what an attitude he had when I confronted him, like he had every right to be there, which he most emphatically did NOT. And the police agreed with me. Go shoot your little guns legally somewhere, but when someone is doing it illegally behind my house, I have every right to report them.

This is precisely the type of behavior often exhibited by hunters. They feel it's their right to hunt wherever they wish, and everyone else be damned. They are doing us a favor, with only a small risk of killing us. Talk about being narrow-minded....

Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
And you don't find it cruel that a lot of deer that hunters shoot run off and simply disappear, often dying a slow and cruel death needlessly because the hunter couldn't find it? That's what the hunters were doing behind my house, they had split up and were combing the woods trying to find the deer. I did hear the gun shot, but I don't know if it was a rifle or shotgun. Not sure if they ever found the poor thing or not.
So they were not hunting someplace they werent suposed to be like you said nor hunting illegally it seems. Just a good way to dramatize it eh?

I dont find it cruel because I know that most times the deer dies in sight, though things do go wrong. I also know that many deer are not recivered simply because somebody, like you maybe, discourages a hunter from looking for his game. Nobody wants to lose a deer, in more rural areas its much easier because people are more down to earth. In CT you often run into some holier than thou busybody who thinks its more important to make you feel terrible and do everything possible to discourage you than it is to help you find your deer. If, on the other hand, people such as yourself would actually help many times those deer would be found. If they were tracking a deer that went thru your land & you chased them away its not their fault if they lost it, its yours.

On another note, when a catch & release fisherman heads out, its with the desire to do nothing but inflict great pain on another living thing for their own pleasure. I'm not knocking it, but thats what it is. Is it sport? I think so, its very rewarding. But the fact remains that its only done for your enjoyment at the cost of great pain & trauma to the fish.

Hunters strive to kill quickly & cleanly. I killed a doe yesterday with my bow that didn't even run away. She just jumped & turned to look at my arrow sticking out of the ground then wobbled & fell over. Thats not how it always goes but it is what we strive for.

Quote:
I am not sure why you feel the need to attack my personally. Get off your soap box before jumping on my case, YOU are the one that's half-cocked. How dare you assume I don't know what I am talking about?! How do I know those rednecks were hunting illegally? Because it's fact. Hmm, perhaps all the no hunting and trespassing signs posted by the water company give an indication, for starters. And the water company does not issue hunting permits on the area behind my house, it is too small. No trespassing of any kind is allowed on that parcel of property, it's common knowledge in my neighborhood because of hunters in the past, and some neighbors have informed the water company. We've also had issues with kids on ATV's that people had to report. Occasionally some idiot puts up a tree stand, but us residents frequently look for them and knock them down. Last but not least, the hunters actually came onto MY property illegally (and ran off when he spotted me, which prompted me to chase him) as well as trespassing onto my neighbors' property. And what an attitude he had when I confronted him, like he had every right to be there, which he most emphatically did NOT. And the police agreed with me. Go shoot your little guns legally somewhere, but when someone is doing it illegally behind my house, I have every right to report them.

This is precisely the type of behavior often exhibited by hunters. They feel it's their right to hunt wherever they wish, and everyone else be damned. They are doing us a favor, with only a small risk of killing us. Talk about being narrow-minded....
Oh I didn't attack you, I just defend hunting when I can. Why are you even in this thread? You attacked hunters & are still labeling us all as bad because you think these guys were breaking the law. I hunt on posted land all the time, as long as you have permission the signs are meaningless.
Anyway I guess you guys need to pay better attention if people can come in & set up tree stands hunt with guns etc & you cant catch them.

They probably ran because they knew your attitude was anti hunting. But the fact he stood & argued sure dont make it seem like he thought he was breaking the law.

He didn't have any right to enter your property though. He should have called the DEP or you should have written down his plate & called the cops.
Instead you say the cops were called & they agreed with you but I guess let the men walk. Did you ask them how much they know about the game laws? Wether or not they agree dont matter, the law matters and if they were 500 feet from any houses they were legal, whether the cops like it or not. You already stated you dont even know what they were shooting so nobody there could do anything more than offer an opinion, which means nothing.

Your last sentence is a joke. When was the last time a hunter killed someone you know? Or for that matter when was the last time they killed ANYONE in CT? That sentence, had I read it before typing, screams BS and pretty much nullifies everything you typed. It certainly lays to rest the idea that you have any clue about that which you speak.

I'm not saying theres no bad hunters. There are, but your rant is so full of holes its pathetic, not to mention being way OT.
Start a whiny anti hunter soccer mom thread if you want. This one was started by a POLICE officer looking for a place to hunt.
Might be wise if your neighborhood contacted him & let him hunt there. Legal hunting ends poaching (even where it really exists) real quickly.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
lol. well they come from the "city" to shoot each other in the face just a few miles from me.. I just wish there were more of an intelligence test for a hunting permit... I grew up shooting, it still amazes me that there are so many stupid people shooting when/where they shouldn't be..

Man Injured in Hunting Accident | NBC Connecticut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut