Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 14,386 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm 20 years old and live with my 43 year old mother in Greenwich House Apartments. The place is nice, the area is quiet and calm and it's at 900$/m, because it goes by income, but the area is too expensive and our rent is going up. It's too much for what we are paying.

I was wondering are there any place in Connecticut or that you'd recommend outside of CT that are good to live and affordable? We're lookign for a 2 bedroom that isn't in a dangerous or dirty area.

Are there other places that go by income that are in good areas? I hate to be picky, but after living here so long, im used to not having noisy people and not having crazy weather (i.e. hurricanes, tornado's, earthquake's) so a part of me is a bit paranoid of that. I can't convince my mother to look at any other state, it's just a huge mess and any help would be amazing.

Our range would be 800-1000. until I can get a full time job, currently im part time for a bank.
2 bedrooms.
Pets would be lovely, but we know that's not going to happen in an affordable place

Any advice or recommendations would help me and my mother out so much. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Many people from lower Fairfield County move further up the line to either the Bridgeport or New Haven areas. For the type of rent you are currently paying though, you will have to stick with public housing and in those areas the places can get dicey. There are not very many public housing projects like you are living in anywhere! that said, you might want to consider eastern Connecticut which is the lowest priced area of the state. There are many nice places around the New London area but keep in mind, it is definitely NOT Greenwich. Jay

Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Before leaving Greenwich, go to Town Hall and see if you can speak with someone about public housing. If eligible, you may be put on a waiting list to move into Armstrong Court at a rate similar to what you had been paying. An acquaintance of mine was put on a waiting list for a 1 bedroom at Armstrong Court and told that an opening would probably be available in a year. You may have the same kind of luck if you speak with someone in person.

Also, you may want to do a quick check on Realtor.com. I did a quick search for 2 bedroom rentals for $900 or less, and I found 1 listing in Fairfield and 36 listings in Bridgeport. If you are willing to rent in the Bridgeport area, you may want to meet with a realtor representing one of the Black Rock or North End rentals and ask him/her to show you different options in the area. Realtors will occassionally lead you to properties that cannot be publicly listed (i.e. a renter looking to break his/her contract) and you may find a real gem.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Wanting to stay in CT for that price range - you're looking along the 395 corridor primarily for that. New London, Norwich, any the small mill towns northward. Maybe a few of the cities near Hartford.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
You might be able to find something in Milford, though I think you may be limited to towns that lack much of what Greenwich offers. This is not a bad thing though as you will get more for your money. I think Jay hit it spot on when he suggested the Bridgeport/New Haven areas. Everything from Stratford, Shelton, Derby, Ansonia, Seymour, West Haven, Milford, East Haven, Hamden and Branford.

IMO, of the towns I listed, I'd suggest you begin your search in Hamden. Affordable and close to quite a bit.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM

84 posts, read 291,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieAnne View Post
Hi.

I'm 20 years old and live with my 43 year old mother in Greenwich House Apartments. The place is nice, the area is quiet and calm and it's at 900$/m, because it goes by income, but the area is too expensive and our rent is going up. It's too much for what we are paying.

I was wondering are there any place in Connecticut or that you'd recommend outside of CT that are good to live and affordable? We're lookign for a 2 bedroom that isn't in a dangerous or dirty area.

Are there other places that go by income that are in good areas? I hate to be picky, but after living here so long, im used to not having noisy people and not having crazy weather (i.e. hurricanes, tornado's, earthquake's) so a part of me is a bit paranoid of that. I can't convince my mother to look at any other state, it's just a huge mess and any help would be amazing.

Our range would be 800-1000. until I can get a full time job, currently im part time for a bank.
2 bedrooms.
Pets would be lovely, but we know that's not going to happen in an affordable place

Any advice or recommendations would help me and my mother out so much. Thank you.
greenwich is 1 of the nicest places to live in the country. no where u go will be as nice. everyplace will be a step down but almost all of ct is as u say lovely. greenwich people are classy and not all towns have those types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut