Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

It is definitely closing. Too bad, another electronics place gone. Less competition for Best Buy. Oh well, what are you going to do? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh well, what are you going to do? Jay
Take advantage of their "Going Out of Business Sale!"

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Scanning the article, I don't see wether it's a reorganization or a dissolution. (Chapter 7, 11 etc)

One is a death sentence, but the other means they have a chance to "work it through".
It says all 15 stores are closing at the beginning of the article.

Never knew (until I looked on their site for curiousity) that there was one in Brookfield, near Danbury. Been up there enough in the past that I'm surprised I never noticed. I thought when I saw them this summer that maybe they were only Hartford area (or from there to the north and east).

Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
I went there last night looking for some new appliances. They must have been forced out because they don't have any new appliances at the Enfield warehouse. Only floor models and clearance items that have been around awhile.

This indicates to me that the suppliers were not shipping them any product or took the product back before they filed.

The stuff that is left is not very deeply discounted. I could get new appliances at Holloways for not much more.

That being said, it's too bad they couldn't make it. I've purchased appliances from Bernies for several years and have always found them as a better alternative to the Home Depot/Lowes or Best Buy.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 AM

88 posts, read 221,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Take advantage of their "Going Out of Business Sale!"
I was in Waterford store last night and I think they marked the prices up I went over to lowes and the appliances were cheaper. Alot of people looking but not alot of buying going on. Most things same price they were 2 weeks ago

Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Bernies has turned over their stores to a liguidator which is a company that specializes in selling off merchandise from stores going out of business. It is my experience that once this has been done, there are no bargains to be had at the closing store. The company DOES mark up the prices and then claims to cut them by some ridiculous amount. In actuality you end up paying the same or more as if you went to a regular store. They even bring in merchandise that was not originally in the store to begin with.

I have seen this time and time again. When Hitchcock Furniture went out of business, there were few real Hitchcock pieces in the store and their prices were very high. The good stuff was sold off to a regular furniture store and they brought in cheap stuff to replace. Same thing happended with Linens & Things, Circuit City, Marlborough Barn and Smith & Hawkins. It was a real rip off (Richard Blumenthal - where are you?). Anyway you would be better off just going somewhere else to shop. I avoid these sales completely. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut