Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,874 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Los Angeles to CT. He'll be working in Manhattan so we need to be somewhere close for the commute (up to an hour is fine). What areas are safe and have good schools? Could we buy a home/condo for less than $150,000? And would it be cheaper to live or buy a home in CT instead of NJ? We obviously don't know anything about this area of the country. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,066 times
Hi CalieGirl,

Many people who live in New London (Waterford, East Lyme, Niantic, Old Lyme) or Middlesex (Old Saybrook, Clinton, Westbrook, Essex) county take the commuter rail to NY. We have the beautiful shoreline in Connecticut. When are you planning on moving? As you know housing pricing have been at an all time low, however, I think in that price range you may be better off looking at condos. BUT, that's not to say you wouldn't be able to afford a smaller ranch type home. Good luck! Michelle

Last edited by JayCT; 01-22-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Deleted Advertising

Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
You cant afford anything in Fairfield County for under 150,000, even finding something in CT as a whole will be tough for less then 150K, if you find any condos or homes under that price range, I can almost guarantee they will be in a town with poor schools and may be sketchy areas.

The PP who commented seems to be a realtor and cannot comment on schools by law. Some of the towns she mentioned do have good schools, however you would be priced out of them and they would be OVER an hour commute to NYC.

Last edited by KH02; 01-22-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
You would be surprised that you can get a pretty decent place in that price point. I sold one of my friends a mint condition 2 bedroom 1000 square foot condo in southern New Milford for a little over $150,000 and another friend a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 1300 square foot fixer upper condo in Woodbury for $130,000 in the last couple of minutes.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 AM

269 posts, read 607,535 times
CaliGirl,
You will be moving to one of the most expensive areas in the United Sates. You will not be able to find anything for your budget with an hour or less commute (I'm including NJ, NY and CT). You will have to either increase your budget or increase your commute time.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellemayo07 View Post
Hi CalieGirl,

Many people who live in New London (Waterford, East Lyme, Niantic, Old Lyme) or Middlesex (Old Saybrook, Clinton, Westbrook, Essex) county take the commuter rail to NY. We have the beautiful shoreline in Connecticut. When are you planning on moving? As you know housing pricing have been at an all time low, however, I think in that price range you may be better off looking at condos. BUT, that's not to say you wouldn't be able to afford a smaller ranch type home. Good luck! Michelle
I do not agree with this at all. The are NOT "many people" in southeastern Connecticut commuting into Manhattan. It is just too far. A trip from these towns would take at least two hours or more which is not a reasonable commute.

To answer the OP's original question, the closest part of Connecticut to Manhattan is Fairfield County which is one of the pricest places in the country. It rivals California's major city prices. Stamford is a major city that would be about 45 minutes from Manhattan. It has a wide range of housing options but would have little in your price range. Still though I would check it out and see what it out there. The towns around Stamford are very desirable upscale suburbs where a modest home can easily fetch $1 miilion and starter homes are at least $500,000.

The further you go away from New York the more prices drop. Norwalk would be the next closest moderately priced town and then Bridgeport. Norwalk is a small city too with a wide range of housing. Not sure what you would get there for your price. It would be about an hour from Manhattan. Jay

Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
The OP might be able to find a condo for $150k in Stamford, but it will likely be small. Norwalk might also have something within this price range, but there's fewer condo properties and it's further away. If you do find something in Stamford within that price range, try to get some info about the neighborhood. While most of Stamford is really safe, the West Side and the South End aren't so hot

Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl428 View Post
My husband and I are moving from Los Angeles to CT. He'll be working in Manhattan so we need to be somewhere close for the commute (up to an hour is fine). What areas are safe and have good schools? Could we buy a home/condo for less than $150,000? And would it be cheaper to live or buy a home in CT instead of NJ? We obviously don't know anything about this area of the country. Thanks!!!!
Unfortunately it's going to be tough to find everything that you want in one community, something will have to be sacrificed, and only you know what that is in your minds. You can find a condo in Stamford in the $175-199K range, but it's going to be small, probably a 1 bed/1 bath and it's going to be right in the inner part of the city, where neighborhoods can be dodgy. Many here may disagree but I don't like the Norwalk or Stamford city school systems myself, so I wouldn't live there.

For instance, if schools and safety are the most important to you, you could try Ridgefield (I know I am always waving my Ridgefield flag!). Its a small town about 50 miles from NYC, a one hour train ride from Katonah, Golden's Bridge or Brewster stations in NY state. You can get a condo there in the high $100Ks and even a 3 bedroom house for sale right now for $194,900 in a cute little neighborhood. Schools are absolutely first rate and it's a great small town. BUT if commute is more of an issue for you, you could do Stamford and be closer, but again you give up some things on the safety and schools.

So it's a trade off, I guess if you posted more of what you're looking for, we could help you more. Just FYI The county closest in to NYC is Fairfield County, and it is one of THE most expensive counties in the country.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
You would be surprised that you can get a pretty decent place in that price point. I sold one of my friends a mint condition 2 bedroom 1000 square foot condo in southern New Milford for a little over $150,000 and another friend a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 1300 square foot fixer upper condo in Woodbury for $130,000 in the last couple of minutes.
True. But New Milford and Woodbury are not an easy commute to NYC. They are pretty far.

I would suggest that the OP look into Stratford. Anything closer will be very expensive.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl428 View Post
He'll be working in Manhattan so we need to be somewhere close for the commute (up to an hour is fine). What areas are safe and have good schools? Could we buy a home/condo for less than $150,000?
Okay, now that i've cleaned up the coffee that shot through my nose when i read this..............

Stop and rethink the decision to leave L.A., because your parameters just aren't realistic here. Sorry to be blunt, but i don't think your family is going to be happy with what you'll find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut