Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

54 posts, read 153,738 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to CT from NC and are looking at homes. I've heard great things about many of the towns we are looking into, but I thought I'd solicit some feedback regarding our choices... priorities are proximity to the interstate/airport for work, good schools, quiet living, open (minded) and friendly people.

We are looking into: Tolland, Willington, Mansfield, Lebanon, Columbia, Hebron, and Marlborough.

I guess the question I have is this: I'd like to be a part of the community and not an outsider, while still being in a area that will not be overrun by "new coloniel home starting in the 300's" developments.

Any thoughts?

Btw... price range 250-350k, 3br, two kiddos, and a darn cat that I'll give away to the best response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
The Airport is located in Windsor Locks, how close would you want to be? Out of all those towns I would say Tolland would be the closest, however none of them are all that close to it.
But those towns do meet your other criteria well.
The airport would be at least 30 min from Tolland if not more..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks, KH. Yeah, I should have specified. I am at peace with a 30-45min commute to the airport, since it will rarely be more than once a week.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceCake View Post
Thanks, KH. Yeah, I should have specified. I am at peace with a 30-45min commute to the airport, since it will rarely be more than once a week.
I'll put my .02 in for Lebanon. We moved here 10 yrs ago from Manchester, CT and it's been fantastic. It's a very interesting town with revolutionary war roots, and the largest town green in New England. The politics are interesting, and the town is well run. Not many services, as we are a very rural, farm town. 45 mins to Bradley is very doable, I do it within that time frame 5 times a month.

All of the other towns you've listed are great towns as well. Out of that list, other than Lebanon, I'd favor Hebron and Marlborough due to their proximity to RT 2 and Hartford.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM

174 posts, read 639,738 times
Hebron, Marlborough, and Colchester are all great towns and right on Route 2 for easy access to Hartford/Windsor Locks.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I should point out that Connecticut does not have a lot (if any) of those large developments of tract homes you want to avoid. Most new developments are small because we just don't have the land available for it.

You might want to add Bolton to your list. It is a very nice rural community and is a bit more convenient to the airport since you could jump on I-384 and I-291 to I-91 up to Route 20 and the airport. Pretty easy ride.

The towns you are looking at are all very nice too but there are some very nice towns closer to the airport. You might want to check out Suffield, East Granby and Granby. Jay

PS - I hope this doesn't win me the cat. My two dogs would not like that.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
Like Jay said, we don’t have any of those massive tract home developments up this way. I moved to Marlborough a couple of years ago and love it. Neighbors are all super friendly and with 2 kids you will find plenty of activities around, even though it’s a small town. I also considered Hebron when moving this way, however Marlborough was just a little closer to what I wanted (access to Rt. 2 and shopping in Glastonbury), though I did see many houses there and would have been completely happy in either town. For what it’s worth, I can be at BDL in 35 minutes, door to door.

With that said, typically for $250K in Marlborough you’ll get a raised ranch style house (3BR, 1.5+ baths, on at least 1.25 acres) that is less than 2,000SF. Go to $300-$350K and you’ll get colonial style homes with 1+ acres and 2 bathrooms. Obviously your miles may vary, especially in the current real estate market.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks for everyone's response. Very helpful.

We like Lebanon for the green, Hebron/Marlborough for the proximity, Tolland is great looking and close to Hartford. Mansfield interests us for the lake and free college activities.

Any thoughts on the elementary schools?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
All the towns you listed are very similar - if you tossed them in a pot and stirred, they would probably taste the same.

Having said that, it seems you've narrowed it down to a handful of good choices. What I would recommend is to visit them all, log your drive times etc and see which one fits your taste the best.

*For me* the list would be Marlborough simply for access, lebanon for the things Tetto said, Hebron for a little of the last two mixed together. Tolland is a nice town, but it's large and depending on where you settle it can be "out there" or "right there". It's also one of the fastest growing towns in CT - that's good and bad.

It might be worthy to check tax rates too as compared to NC they will be much higher...that may sway your decision because in some towns the taxes can be considered a second mortgage. ($500+ per month)

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM

Yeah, the property tax caused us some heartburn.

We're driving the towns Tues and Wed. I'll post some updates for anyone who is interested.

Does anyone want to weigh in on Mansfield? Or on the general receptivity to young families from away, good or bad in any of the towns?

Thanks to all.

RC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut