Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,503 times

Advertisements

Just want to know how is the town of Wolcott?? Nice family oriented town?? Do they have a lot of professionals?? Are there a lot of nice stores, restaurants or coffee shops?? Is it an upscale town?? is it growing?? or Is it pretty much an established town?? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
The town is very rural and doesn't really have any stores. You would have to drive to Bristol or Southington for shopping. I wouldn't call it an upscale town, more of a regular middle class town. I've never heard anything bad about the schools, but never heard anything great either so I'm not sure.
In my personal opinion I could never live there because it feels to in the middle of nowhere.
IT has no direct highway access, so you need to drive to southington or through bristol to Farmington to get to a highway system. So I would say it would add about 15 to 20 minutes on to your commute, depending on where you are going.
But it's not a dump town or anything, just a middle of the road place if you ask me.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Wolcott is a nice town. Schools there generally perform above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Here are some links to information on the schools. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I don't really find Wolcott to be rural and remote. It's wedged between Southington and Waterbury, and I-84 is less than 10 minutes away.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't really find Wolcott to be rural and remote. It's wedged between Southington and Waterbury, and I-84 is less than 10 minutes away.
That's the strange part about Wolcott. It's not, but it feels that way.

It's a bit of a mix of "suburb" and small rural town. Lots of Waterburians escaped there so you get the "valley vibe" from some residents.

Plus the easiest way "out" is either going down Southington mountain (Good luck in Winter) or down RT69 - both pretty steep grades.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 AM

73 posts, read 259,335 times
What, precisely, is the "valley vibe" ????

I've been studying the posts about the valley towns for weeks now, and feel like I'm getting more and more confused. Can somebody please post a list of the towns that you recommend living in if you want a peaceful home and area, a place to take a stroll, plus some neighbors who just might wave hello after we've lived there for 2 years and keep our front yard tidy and filled with flowers???

Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siri View Post
What, precisely, is the "valley vibe" ????

I've been studying the posts about the valley towns for weeks now, and feel like I'm getting more and more confused. Can somebody please post a list of the towns that you recommend living in if you want a peaceful home and area, a place to take a stroll, plus some neighbors who just might wave hello after we've lived there for 2 years and keep our front yard tidy and filled with flowers???
You will want to live in Oxford if what you are searching for is a peaceful area with friendly people and a wonderful school district.

We moved from the San Francisco area to Oxford and absolutely love it. Pretty town, nicely kempt neighborhoods and friendly people. Very New England town. I quite a bit of reading on Oxford when we moved here in 2007, and I read the terms "hicks", "white trash" and so on, on boards like these. Our experience is to the contrary ---well traveled, educated and wealthy people, most of whom hold respectable jobs. That goes to show you that posters on message boards are in need of enlightenment.

I hear a lot of folks downtrashing "the Valley" but to speak realistically would mean that many are unpleased with the asthetics of core "Valley" towns of Derby, Shelton and Beacon Falls, thus other Valley areas take offense to being part of "the Valley." There are other areas worse than "The Valley" like West Haven and East Haven, but one rarely refers to these communities in such a manner.

I wish you luck in your search. Shall you have anymore inquiries please contact me over private message. I will FWD you our e-mail from there.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
To answer the question: Valley vibe? Hmm, well it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a very unique "section" of the state with it's own culture and accent. A little frumpy, a little tell it like it is in your face but overall good people.

Tell you what watch this video and at time marker 5 minutes 36 seconds you'll see two "valley dudes" being interviewed. "Noahitimean?"

http://u10videos.com/DEP/Parks/CTPar...ks/CTParks.smi

Last edited by JayCT; 01-29-2010 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Removed Off Topic Quote and Response

Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camefromwest View Post
You will want to live in Oxford if what you are searching for is a peaceful area with friendly people and a wonderful school district.

We moved from the San Francisco area to Oxford and absolutely love it. Pretty town, nicely kempt neighborhoods and friendly people. Very New England town. I quite a bit of reading on Oxford when we moved here in 2007, and I read the terms "hicks", "white trash" and so on, on boards like these. Our experience is to the contrary ---well traveled, educated and wealthy people, most of whom hold respectable jobs. That goes to show you that posters on message boards are in need of enlightenment.

I hear a lot of folks downtrashing "the Valley" but to speak realistically would mean that many are unpleased with the asthetics of core "Valley" towns of Derby, Shelton and Beacon Falls, thus other Valley areas take offense to being part of "the Valley." There are other areas worse than "The Valley" like West Haven and East Haven, but one rarely refers to these communities in such a manner.

I wish you luck in your search. Shall you have anymore inquiries please contact me over private message. I will FWD you our e-mail from there.
I agree with this post 100% we love Oxford as well and JV's valley vibe comment really makes me nuts. If I recall from past posts his main experience with Oxford is attending a kegger here in the 80's.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Please keep this thread on topic. Thanks, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut