Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 06:44 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times

Advertisements

Now that the ground is all clear here in Hartford, wouldn't mind another snow (which would be short-lived anyway). Looks like another waste of cold air next week though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Frame by Frame.... Hour 120 The Low comes from Ohio valley. Hour 126 starts diving south over West Virginia. Hour 132 it exits off Virginia into Atlantic.

Enough moisture is north of the system that falls as snow above the blue line (32 degree line).. This one showing snow for about 12hrs and just 2-3".

NOAA sending in flights tomorrow. Lets keep an eye on this... and FYI... This is the same system that brought snow to Japan yesterday.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Here comes a chance of a snowstorm!!!!

…and there goes the chance of a snowstorm: lol

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
546 PM EDT FRI MAR 18 2011

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
LOW PRESSURE MOVING ACROSS NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND TOWARD
NOVA SCOTIA WILL DRAG A TRAILING COLD FRONT THROUGH MON NIGHT...WITH
BRISK CONDITIONS INTO TUE MORNING. H8-10 THICKNESSES WILL BE A
LITTLE LOWER...BUT RELATIVE LACK OF CLOUD COVER SHOULD RESULT IN MAX
TEMPS ON TUE NEAR OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN THOSE OF MON.
HIGH PRESSURE NOSING DOWN FROM ONTARIO TUE INTO WED AND WEAK RIDGING
ALOFT SHOULD HELP KEEP A WARM FRONT AT BAY TO OUR SW...WITH ONLY
SOME HIGH AND MID LEVEL CLOUDS EXPECTED IN THE NYC METRO AREA...WITH
SUNNY SKIES FARTHER EAST.

THE UPPER LEVEL RIDGING WILL FLATTEN FURTHER WED NIGHT...ALLOWING A
NORTHERN STREAM VORT TO APPROACH FROM THE WEST. THE ASSOCIATED SFC
LOW SHOULD WEAKEN AS IT APPROACHES THE APPALACHIANS AND REDEVELOP
OFF THE SOUTHERN MID ATLANTIC COAST...AND THERE IS A CHANCE OF SOME
LIGHT SNOW LATE WED NIGHT INTO THU MORNING AS THE SECONDARY
REDEVELOPMENT TAKES PLACE. BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPS SHOULD WARM UP
ENOUGH BY AFTERNOON THAT ANY LINGERING PRECIP SHOULD MIX WITH OR
CHANGE TO RAIN. OPERATIONAL MODEL CONSENSUS IS FOR THE HEAVIEST
PRECIP WITH THIS SYSTEM TO REMAIN TO OUR SOUTH...SO ONCE AGAIN WILL
STRESS THAT ANY PRECIP WOULD BE LIGHT...BUT COULD STILL PRESENT SOME
MINOR PROBLEMS FOR THE THU MORNING COMMUTE.
One, they have changed this discussion for a snowier forecast, and two, this is mostly talking about NYC itself and immediate suburbs.

I think this Accuweather piece says it best and agrees with both you and Cambium. It notes the potential for significant snow but also notes that in March it's tough to get it to stick well on the road, both of which I agree with:

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Two Snowstorms in the Eastern US Next Week? (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/47176/two-snowstorms-in-the-eastern.asp - broken link)

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,697 times
I still believe there wont be no chance of snow, sorry even if it did snow it be so little it would melt to the ground like I have predicted before and everyone said it going to be a major snow storm, and I was right they were wrong and I'm sure hell know that I'm going to be right for this one
LMAO hahahahaha

Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Default March 24, 2011 Storm

Looks like they are going with a snow vs a rain event.

Expect 1-2 inches Sunday night interior sections then a shoveable (maybe plowable) snowstorm Thursday.

They are thinking a Norlun trough could setup. Last time that happened was January 7th and we got almost half foot. I dont expect over 5 inches with this one.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM

MARCH 24, 2011 WINTER STORM UPDATE::

Last model (Euro12z) has a January type setup with a strong Surface Low Pressure system (986mb) off the coast and air cold enough to support snow. It also was the most moist with 1" liquid which would make me wrong.... We would get over 5".

But I'm sticking to my first impression of this system. Nobody should be getting more then 5 inches of snow with this.

Bring your Shovels back out.

edit: They flown the winter flights into the storm today and when the data was fed into the models it showed a stronger system next to us with more snow.... Stay tuned.

Last edited by Cambium; 03-19-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 05:34 PM

Quick Update:::: More moisture now showing up, I might be wrong after all...... Lube those snowblowers up and put that plow back on.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I still believe there wont be no chance of snow, sorry even if it did snow it be so little it would melt to the ground like I have predicted before and everyone said it going to be a major snow storm, and I was right they were wrong and I'm sure hell know that I'm going to be right for this one
LMAO hahahahaha
I agree it's a really long shot...and your right what ever would fall would really melt fast this time of year, as soon as the sun came out it would be gone. It will turn cooler this week with temps in the 40's, but then it looks like another warmer pattern by the last week of the month. Typical up/down this time of year I guess.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Half inch to Inch of snow North of Merrit for Monday before it changes to rain...then bigger storm Wed/Thursday. Enjoy the SuperMoon tonight! Post some pics.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormTotalPrecip/StormTotalSnowFcst.png (broken link)

Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I agree it's a really long shot...and your right what ever would fall would really melt fast this time of year, as soon as the sun came out it would be gone. It will turn cooler this week with temps in the 40's, but then it looks like another warmer pattern by the last week of the month. Typical up/down this time of year I guess.
Its the final chapter of the year for snow and heat miser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut