Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 03:35 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Active pattern. Entire 1980s was way under average. Looks like we're entering a 60s type pattern at this pace...

Looks like NWS Albany ackowledges what I saw on the Euro...but they are leaning towards the GFS... National Weather Service Text Product Display

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

BRIEF PERIOD OF HIGH PRESSURE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...BUT MODELS INDICATE THAT ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL TROF DIGGING SOUTHEAST FROM THE GREAT LAKES WILL INDUCE ANOTHER SURFACE LOW TO DEVELOP ALONG THE BOUNDARY TO OUR SOUTH.

GFS DEVELOPS THIS LOW FAR ENOUGH TO THE SOUTH AND EAST THAT ONLY THE EXTREME SOUTHEAST PART OF THE FORECAST AREA GETS ANY PCPN.

THE ECMWF DEVELOPS A CLASSIC NOR`EASTER WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS THE REGION.

WILL ONCE AGAIN FOLLOW THE LEAD OF THE GFS AND FORECAST CHANCE POPS ACROSS THE REGION ON SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY EVENING...WITH ONLY SLIGHT CHANCE POPS OVER THE ADIRONDACKS. HIGHS FRIDAY WILL BE IN THE UPPER 30S AND 40S...LOWS FRIDAY NIGHT IN THE 20S AND LOWER 30S...HIGHS SATURDAY IN THE 40S...LOWS SATURDAY NIGHT IN THE MID 20S TO LOWER 30S. A LARGE HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL CONTROL OUR WEATHER SUNDAY INTO EARLY MONDAY...WITH
NWS OKX still has the weird forecast for our area of "partly sunny with a chance of rain" but has the chance at 30%. They too note the above in their discussion except they claim the GFS takes it far out to sea enough that no one gets anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
They too note the above in their discussion except they claim the GFS takes it far out to sea enough that no one gets anything!

HPC saying GFS is an outlier...meaning its the odd ball and that the Euro and UKMET have been handling the system better.

The last Euro that came out at 3am has the storm stronger. What is baffling me is that Nor'Easters are not uncommon for October...but the cold air locked in place during the storm is ...

I usually dont see images like the models are showing for another couple months. Is this the pattern that is setting up for winter??

Here are 4 different models... Top left image is the last Euro look at that thing sitting off the coast and the cold air to the West of it.
Then look at the GFS. LMAO! Nothing.

4 of the 7 models show snow happening (Im not saying for entire state yet but a swath in the NorthEast)

Old 10-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Here we go...already. lol If you're travelling north keep an eye on Thursdays and Saturdays storms.

Which of you is voting for Senario #1for Saturday?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Here we go...already. lol If you're travelling north keep an eye on Thursdays and Saturdays storms.

Which of you is voting for Senario #1for Saturday?
NWS OKX says 2 models (EC and UKMET) have the big storm and 2 (HFC and GFS) have it out to sea, but they're now hedging in the storms favor and saying cloudy with 50% chance.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
NWS OKX says 2 models (EC and UKMET) have the big storm and 2 (HFC and GFS) have it out to sea, but they're now hedging in the storms favor and saying cloudy with 50% chance.
Thank you...

Here's the afternoon update after I anazlyzed them all.

Flat OTS (Sunny Weekend) GFS, NOGAPS, CMC
Big NorthEast Storm (Snowstorm, Wind, Rainstorm weekend) EURO, JMA
Just misses off the NE coast (Cloudy weekend) DGEX, UKMET

Which are you guys hoping is right? lol

Each will flip back and forth next few days. lol

Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you...

Here's the afternoon update after I anazlyzed them all.

Flat OTS (Sunny Weekend) GFS, NOGAPS, CMC
Big NorthEast Storm (Snowstorm, Wind, Rainstorm weekend) EURO, JMA
Just misses off the NE coast (Cloudy weekend) DGEX, UKMET

Which are you guys hoping is right? lol

Each will flip back and forth next few days. lol
While part of me would find snow cool (there must be something special about my birthday (this Sat, the 29th) and October snow....the only two October snows recorded in CPK since 1979 were on that day, in 2000 and 2002......in 2008 the same thing happened in Newark and Bridgeport but not the other local airports.....though I think the OKX site doesn't show "daily snow records of a trace" for LaGuardia and JFK because Accuweather in an article about the possible coming snow said they got a T in 2008 on the date), I had some outdoor fall foliage related plans (and have a temporarily super-busy schedule for which nice days outdoors are few and far between even on the weekend) so I'm rooting for the sun this time....

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM

In case you missed it...Jim Cantore's thoughts. He goes over the Euro and the GFS. He said it would be a rare event for a Blockbuster snowstorm in Baltimore/D.C in October and he's not buying a full fledge Blizzard up the coast because there's no Blocking High.

Jim Cantore on October 29, 2011 Snow Storm - YouTube

Last edited by nei; 10-08-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Saturday Storm Update:

Looks like Euro giving into the others... Better agrement now the storm moves up the coast BUT stays offshore enough not to give us anything but light snow/flurries along the coast, nothing interior.

Bundle up the kiddies this weekend. If there's any changes with the models I'll post it.

Thursday Storm Update:

Havent checked the forecast but I believe we'll see out first frozen precip before we see our first frost. LOL If that makes any sense. Im seeing enough cold air thursday night to change the liquid to sleet and even snow north of I-84(no accumulations).

Edit:..Yup

Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Saturday Storm Update:

Looks like Euro giving into the others... Better agrement now the storm moves up the coast BUT stays offshore enough not to give us anything but light snow/flurries along the coast, nothing interior.

Bundle up the kiddies this weekend. If there's any changes with the models I'll post it.

Thursday Storm Update:

Havent checked the forecast but I believe we'll see out first frozen precip before we see our first frost. LOL If that makes any sense. Im seeing enough cold air thursday night to change the liquid to sleet and even snow north of I-84(no accumulations).

Edit:..Yup
Even so, first flakes before Nov 1! Rare...

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Future Radar Reflectivity

This is from the NAM model. I really like this model and it confirms what I think will happen next 60 hours. Watch those blues(snow) fill in.

This is from 9am today to 8pm Friday.

NAM 60hr Reflectivity - YouTube

You can find the recent one with this link. It will update with each model run (4x a day)
http://policlimate.com/weather/wrf/name_cref.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut