Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,313,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
I'll take this winter so far, after the pummeling we got from end of December through January last winter, and that freak snowstorm end of October this year, I'd say we earned a decent December. Hey, it is still winter like, no leaves on trees, yesterday morning and Sunday were cold, but I can deal without the white stuff for a while, especially as most of probably do, have to travel a little this weekend.

A dusting Christmas morning on the lawns will make it look beautiful, and still safe to travel 7-8 inches of snow will make a mess.
X2 for me.

I’ll take this mild winter so far any day. Although it’s been close to a year since we had any snow down here on eastern Connecticut coast (the Oct 30th storm only gave us a trace of snow/rain)…it nice to not have to deal with the mess they have out west right now. I saw on TV all the car accidents in New Mexico/Kansas/Missouri …etc. Who needs that! If I want to see snow on XMASS day...I'll google some web cams from the Mts out West or up in the Great Lakes/New England- lol.

We should enjoy a mild week and easy travel in the Tri-State area/East Coast right through Christmas Day with only some spotty rain showers on Wed and maybe Sunday. After that, skies will clear and sunshine will be back next week with highs in the 40’s across the Tri-State area (still a bit above normal). Most of the I-95 cities should be dry most of next week it looks like.

The warm pattern has already used up the first month of winter quite nicely. One down, two to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM

83,283 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Friday December 23, 2011 Winter Storm Update:

Is Litchfield Ready for a White Christmas? Maybe even Hartford Tolland & Windham too but I'm leaning more confidence with NW CT..

Well, starting Thursday Night into Friday they should be getting 2-4" of snow.

Thats the first storm. Christmas storm still up in air.

This is the Precip type from the latest data which is on par with the rest. Watches should go out tomorrow night.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,395,826 times
Am I crazy or was it warmer this morning? I was almost giddy when I walked outside to get into my car.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Am I crazy or was it warmer this morning? I was almost giddy when I walked outside to get into my car.
Warm front close by today but I was in short sleeves and it was actually chilly. High never got past 45, but yeah, definetly warmer then it has been past couple days.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,373,454 times
I saw 50s for tomorrow & Thursday. Nice weather to be working in but it's going to hurt when it does get cold.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,068,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
X2 for me.

I’ll take this mild winter so far any day. Although it’s been close to a year since we had any snow down here on eastern Connecticut coast (the Oct 30th storm only gave us a trace of snow/rain)…it nice to not have to deal with the mess they have out west right now. I saw on TV all the car accidents in New Mexico/Kansas/Missouri …etc. Who needs that! If I want to see snow on XMASS day...I'll google some web cams from the Mts out West or up in the Great Lakes/New England- lol.

We should enjoy a mild week and easy travel in the Tri-State area/East Coast right through Christmas Day with only some spotty rain showers on Wed and maybe Sunday. After that, skies will clear and sunshine will be back next week with highs in the 40’s across the Tri-State area (still a bit above normal). Most of the I-95 cities should be dry most of next week it looks like.

The warm pattern has already used up the first month of winter quite nicely. One down, two to go.
It was definitely a warm month...nice

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I saw 50s for tomorrow & Thursday. Nice weather to be working in but it's going to hurt when it does get cold.
Yup.. Warm front lifting North of us. Cold front comes through tomorrow night and Canadien High settles in.

Talk of the hour is the latest data suggest slightly colder for Friday and brings snows further south then the I84 line.

Not a lot of moisture but 3" could get squeezed out for northern tier.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 AM

11,243 posts, read 18,717,750 times
Wow, NWS now showing SUNNY weather for Christmas Eve and Day!

And long range looks like we may actually have that very rare December without even a T of snow (more amazing considering October....)......

Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Temps rising to around 50 today. 8-13 degrees above normal!

Christmas 2011 Storm Update:

Well folks... Good News: The Euro has given into the American GFS. OTS! Its only one run and its still 96hrs away. Lets see what happens. A lot of times within 3 days they meet in the middle.

However, Temps are really cold for Christmas.

My attention turns to Fridays storm for now until the weekend storm is back in picture..

From NWS Boston: going conservative.
Quote:
ANOTHER POTENTIAL UNCERTAINTY RESIDES WITH
DIABATIC EFFECTS AS FALLING SNOW DRAGS COLDER AIR DOWN TO THE
SFC. PRESENT THINKING IS THE POSSIBILITY FOR 1-2 INCHES FOR THE N/W INTERIOR WITH AROUND 1 INCH FOR N CT/RI AND E CENTRAL MA AWAY FROM THE SHORES.

AS WELL AS NLY FLOW AND CAA USHERING LLVL MIXING AND THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT FOR OCEAN EFFECT SNOWS.
From HPC on Fridays Storm. That Low placement is where you want it if you want snow(interior). A little further SE for coast.. Moisture TBD. That High pressure is key for weekend.

Last edited by Cambium; 12-21-2011 at 05:58 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,313,150 times
Saying things is absolutes can always get you in trouble in weather – lol…but it looks like the last chance of a white XMass now has really slipped away in the Tri-State area: This from NWS NYC tow hrs ago:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
414 AM EST WED DEC 21 2011

GFS/ECWMF BEGIN TO RAPIDLY DIVERGE FROM SATURDAY NIGHT ON. ONE THING
THAT IS COMMON TO ALL SOLUTIONS THOUGH IS THAT THE PREVIOUSLY
FORECAST STORM SYSTEM FOR CHRISTMAS...EITHER WILL PASS WELL TO THE S
/ECMWF/ OR IS NOT FORECAST TO EXIST AT ALL /GFS/...AS A RESULT HAVE
LOWERED POPS TO SLIGHT CHANCE SATURDAY NIGHT-SUNDAY NIGHT.

FOR ENTIRELY DIFFERENT REASONS...THE GFS AND ECWMF -AS DOES THE CMC-
END UP WITH NW-WNW FLOW ALOFT OVER THE REGION MONDAY...SO WENT WITH
THE CONSENSUS DRY FORECAST

As far as today, showers should move through –along with balmy 55 F temps across the region. Skies clear tonight, with mild lows around 45 F.

Thursday – sunshine is back with highs 50 to 55 F.

Thursday night (very late) skies cloud up and a light mix of snow/rain changing to all rain.

Friday – Rain in the morning, then partal clearing, highs in the 40’s

Friday night – partly cloudy, lows near 30 F.

Saturday – Sunny, highs near 40 F.

Saturday night (Christmas Eve) – partly cloudy lows near 30 F.

Christmas Day – Partly sunny, high in the lower 40’s.

So at this point, we should enjoy a mild final few days right through Christmas and no travel issues on the East Coast.

Update:

The newest data (6:56 AM) show that the last week of the month should see above normal temps across the region.

(Part 2)
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/west-coast-assault-on-the-way/59310 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut