Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Nothing to talk about except the fridgid air next Tuesday-Wednesday. There's talk about a storm developing in that time frame but until I see it show up, I dont believe it.

There's just no big storms in the horizon still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:18 AM

240 posts, read 537,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I’m far from an expert on this (far from), but as I understand it Oaks are native to much of the USA, including the Atlantic states. The big difference is that most of these Oaks are deciduous (meaning they drop their leaf in fall).

However, the American southern Live Oak is evergreen - with deep green leaves on the tree in Dec - Feb. Southern Live Oak is native to the subtropical southeast United States (zones 8 and 9). However, over the last 100 years some specimes have been cultivated in areas like northern Oklahoma, Missouri, Delaware, and coastal areas of the Tri-State (Long Island, coastal NJ/coastal CT). However, SLO is truly only marginally hardy in Connecticut (in terms of evergreen leaves); Anywhere north of the southern half of the 4 southern counties in CT (Fairfield/New Haven/Middlesex/New London) southern Live Oak would have leaf burn in most years. The nights in Dec – Feb are much too colder in most of central and northern CT for SLO to remain evergreen in winter. So the beauty of Southern Live Oak is that in the winter months the leaves are deep green instead of a bare tree.
So the difference between a Live Oak and the Oaks that we have is that the Live Oak keeps its leaves all year round? No thanks, they can keep them. I found out on October 29 what happens when we get a snowstorm when the Oaks still have leaves on them.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 AM

633 posts, read 1,643,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmo View Post
So the difference between a Live Oak and the Oaks that we have is that the Live Oak keeps its leaves all year round? No thanks, they can keep them. I found out on October 29 what happens when we get a snowstorm when the Oaks still have leaves on them.
Actually live oak trees handle strong hurricane winds than the native oak trees that we have here. I have no doubt that they can handle snow like the pine trees... besides I hear live oak can handle the snow on their leafs... lets bring them here!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Last GFS update an hour ago has this for text output for Hartford. Whats crazy is I dont see any moisture unless you count the .01 as "moisture".
I tell you what though... Even if just 1/2" of liquid fell with temps like that it would mean 25:1 snow ratios and 1/2" would mean a foot.

0 Celsius is 32 degrees.

1st column - Date and Time.
2nd column - Surface temps
3rd column - temps at 5000 feet (must be below 0 for snow)
4th column - surface pressure
5th column - surface humidity
6th column - atmosphere humidity
7th column - Liquid amount for 6 hrs
8th & 9th column thickness levels - (540 key for snow)

You can see little moisture for New Years Eve but temps are still warm (near 40). Other then that there's really nothing happening aside from the temps next week.

It does develop a low off South Carolina next week but it goes OTS down there.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Clipper System December 30, 2011

First of a couple Clippers tonight. Reports of snow falling in PA right now from it but very light as its moisture starved.

From NWS Upton.

Quote:
THE AFOREMENTIONED CLIPPER SYSTEM WILL ALLOW WINDS TO SHIFT MORE
TO THE SOUTHWEST AND ALLOW FOR A PERIOD OF WARM ADVECTION
OVERNIGHT. THIS TRANSLATES TO WARMING TEMPERATURES DURING THE
OVERNIGHT PERIOD. SLIGHT CHANCE POPS WILL MOVE IN FOR AREAS
INLAND LATE TONIGHT AS THE WARM FRONT AND LOW HEAD NORTH OF THE
REGION. THESE AREAS WILL SEE SNOW SHOWERS CHANGING OVER TO A MIX
OF RAIN AND SNOW FRIDAY MORNING
. QPF AMOUNTS WILL REMAIN LIGHT AS
MAIN LIFT STAYS TO THE NORTH. LITTLE...IF ANY SNOW ACCUMULATION
INLAND.

THE CHANCE FOR PRECIPITATION WILL INCREASE SLIGHTLY ON FRIDAY AS
THE LOW TRACKS OVER THE GREAT LAKES REGION. WARMING TEMPERATURES
IN THE MORNING SHOULD ALLOW ALL PRECIP TO BE ALL RAIN

Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I guess take accu-weather with a grain of salt, just a few days ago they had posted an article about flurries at the "Ball Drop", but now.... Times Square New Year's Eve Weather Looking Wonderful (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/times-square-new-years-eve-loo/59640 - broken link)

I personally think the only shot for NYC and coastal CT to record even a T of snow for Dec. is if flurries fall tonight as predicted (there is on radar a small batch of flurries on the Jersey Shore right now so who knows?). NWS is showing some snow mixing in Sun night in CT but that's Jan. already.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:37 PM

This air coming down is no joke next week.

From NWS Boston.

Quote:
THE MAIN STORY THOUGH WILL BE THE ARRIVAL OF ARCTIC AIR TUE AND WED
AND IT WILL BE BY FAR THE COLDEST AIR OF THE SEASON! HIGH
TEMPERATURES WILL LIKELY ONLY BE IN THE TEENS ACROSS THE
INTERIOR...WITH LOWER TO MIDDLE 20S ON THE COASTAL PLAIN.

LOW TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TO LOWER TEENS...WITH
POSSIBLY SOME BELOW ZERO READINGS ACROSS THE DISTANT INTERIOR.
GUSTY WINDS WILL LIKELY SEND WILL CHILLS NEAR OR BELOW ZERO FOR A
TIME TUE NIGHT INTO WED AM!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I guess take accu-weather with a grain of salt, just a few days ago they had posted an article about flurries at the "Ball Drop", but now.... Times Square New Year's Eve Weather Looking Wonderful (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/times-square-new-years-eve-loo/59640 - broken link)

I personally think the only shot for NYC and coastal CT to record even a T of snow for Dec. is if flurries fall tonight as predicted (there is on radar a small batch of flurries on the Jersey Shore right now so who knows?). NWS is showing some snow mixing in Sun night in CT but that's Jan. already.
Yes, it really is going to be a very close call it looks like. After tonight, I can’t see any real chance of any snow for NYC/coastal Connecticut until well into the New Year. So by Friday morning we’ll know if this December will go down as totally snowless in Central Park and the much of Connecticut.

One other interesting thing...and one that I think has been missed so far this cold season:

There is NO DOUBT that it will turn sharply colder next week across much of the central and eastern USA. In fact, the coldest air since last Feb will invade much of the eastern USA by early next week. The core of the cold should settle over East Coast by Tue – so expect highs only near 30 F or so in cities like NYC/New Haven/Trenton...and upper 20’s inland. As the air mass moves across the Midwest into the Great Lakes, there will be a heavy outbreak of lake-effect snow. Lake Superior and Lake Michigan Sunday - then Sunday night through the far eastern Lakes. So there should be some snowcover from Michigan eastward into central New England, including the highlands of portions of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Although many meteorologists have been blogging about this winter and how the warmth in the pattern has kept snow away from much of the far eastern USA....they miss the bigger point to the pattern I think:. Not only has the pattern been warm – it has been a fast pattern. Despite what some people think – we have had several times when very cold temps would have allowed for a decent snow. Yet, by the time the moisture or storm system gets close to us, the cold air is gone. This fast pattern will once again help bring in the very cold air ...yet just as quickly help it fly off the East Coast in just 48 hours. So by Thur/Fri/Sat of next week– highs will be back into the lower 40's across the region. Since there will be little or no moisture or storms in/near the East Coast early next week – once again a very cold air mass will come and go with little note it seems.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yes, it really is going to be a very close call it looks like. After tonight, I can’t see any real chance of any snow for NYC/coastal Connecticut until well into the New Year. So by Friday morning we’ll know if this December will go down as totally snowless in Central Park and the much of Connecticut.

One other interesting thing...and one that I think has been missed so far this cold season:

There is NO DOUBT that it will turn sharply colder next week across much of the central and eastern USA. In fact, the coldest air since last Feb will invade much of the eastern USA by early next week. The core of the cold should settle over East Coast by Tue – so expect highs only near 30 F or so in cities like NYC/New Haven/Trenton...and upper 20’s inland. As the air mass moves across the Midwest into the Great Lakes, there will be a heavy outbreak of lake-effect snow. Lake Superior and Lake Michigan Sunday - then Sunday night through the far eastern Lakes. So there should be some snowcover from Michigan eastward into central New England, including the highlands of portions of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Although many meteorologists have been blogging about this winter and how the warmth in the pattern has kept snow away from much of the far eastern USA....they miss the bigger point to the pattern I think:. Not only has the pattern been warm – it has been a fast pattern. Despite what some people think – we have had several times when very cold temps would have allowed for a decent snow. Yet, by the time the moisture or storm system gets close to us, the cold air is gone. This fast pattern will once again help bring in the very cold air ...yet just as quickly help it fly off the East Coast in just 48 hours. So by Thur/Fri/Sat of next week– highs will be back into the lower 40's across the region. Since there will be little or no moisture or storms in/near the East Coast early next week – once again a very cold air mass will come and go with little note it seems.
A lot of times very cold also means very dry. December, 1989 was one of the coldest Decembers ever in the Northeast, but there was little if any snow (for example, Central park only got 1.4" despite an average temp of 26-deg.....to put in perspective avg. temp this Dec. there is about 43-deg). And that whole winter was fairly snowless (in fact, the biggest snowfall of that season occured back on Thanksgiving!)

Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 AM

Well, the latest it's ever snowed more then 1" was:

For Bridgeport, during the winter of 1979-80, the first >1" snowfall did not occur until March 13.
For NYC - Central Park, during the winter of 1997-98, the first >1" snowfall did not occur until March 22.

Thats going to be hard to beat but anything is possible I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut