Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

In my response to noting the many errors on the records and extremes section of the OKX (NWS NYC) website, I got the following response:

Thanks !!

I made the change.

Jeff

P.S. I have Feb 8th in our local snow pool for the first day with 4" or more of snow. We'll see - the 2.9 for October may be it for the year the way things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In my response to noting the many errors on the records and extremes section of the OKX (NWS NYC) website, I got the following response:

Thanks !!

I made the change.

Jeff

P.S. I have Feb 8th in our local snow pool for the first day with 4" or more of snow. We'll see - the 2.9 for October may be it for the year the way things are going.
Very cool. Thanks. We need more people like you to make sure things stay factual. I think he might be wrong about Feb. 8th.....actually, he's on long Island so its possible. I do see something for CT after this big storm passes in 5 days.

Keep the 17th and 20th in the back burner.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Thanks !!

I made the change.

Jeff

That interesting...NOAA/NWS must really be overworked - lol. They used to keep a tight records page.

As far as the short term, I think he is only using Feb 8 because that appears to be when the pattern will be so old it would have to change (based on long term odds). The interesting part, is that by mid Feb, surface temps really start responding to the increasing solar angle. This is one of the reasons that even though at many stations in the northern USA Feb is the snowiest month - snowcover is actually less than the other two months of metrological winter (Dec and Jan).

As the old time weathercasters use to say - "by mid February the back of winter is broken".

As far as the short term...it looks like mild temps and wall to wall sunshine. With highs in the low to mid 50's. So it should be a good day to get yard work done:

Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM

Posting this as I sit on a rock in short sleeves looking at my garden. Gonna start tilling now. Wow!! Get out and enjoy the day folks. Gonna be curious to what we hit. 10am and it litterally feels, smells, and sounds like a summer morning.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That interesting...NOAA/NWS must really be overworked - lol. They used to keep a tight records page.

As far as the short term, I think he is only using Feb 8 because that appears to be when the pattern will be so old it would have to change (based on long term odds). The interesting part, is that by mid Feb, surface temps really start responding to the increasing solar angle. This is one of the reasons that even though at many stations in the northern USA Feb is the snowiest month - snowcover is actually less than the other two months of metrological winter (Dec and Jan).

As the old time weathercasters use to say - "by mid February the back of winter is broken".

As far as the short term...it looks like mild temps and wall to wall sunshine. With highs in the low to mid 50's. So it should be a good day to get yard work done:

Wow..great weather up there! Enjoy...winter will be back at some point and we can enjoy the snow then, but no sense not making the most of the crisp sunny days!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Islip Breaks Record High temp at 11:12 in the morning! Upton raises temp forecast by almost 5 degrees.

Quote:
A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 57 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY TODAY
AT 1112 (LST). THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 55 SET IN 2007.

THE COMBINATION OF CLEAR SKIES AND INCREASED SW FLOW HAVE PUSHED
TEMPS UP SEVERAL DEGREES HIGHER THAN FORECASTED...SO WILL GO AHEAD
AND RAISE MAX TEMP FORECAST UP BY ABOUT 3-4 DEGREES AND ADJUSTED
HOURLY TEMPS.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
I just saw a fly walking on my outside window!!! I never seen a bug flying around on this month before!!!!

Is that weird Cambium seeing bug flying around in the middle of winter???

Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
This winter is a disgrace..... hopefully a cool spring and summer on tap....

Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 AM

519 posts, read 743,825 times
Wow.. I hope we don't get any surprise snow..

Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I just saw a fly walking on my outside window!!! I never seen a bug flying around on this month before!!!!

Is that weird Cambium seeing bug flying around in the middle of winter???
I think its weird Im litterally in shorts. Something gotta give. This cant last forever.

What is everyone's thoughts for the rest of winter and this coming Spring? Any predictions? We been in this above average since ... November?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut