Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The weather app on my iPhone says 40's and 50's through Tuesday. Of course I live in Trumbull which is a big difference than Litchfield & Winstead but still...
Yeah, Currently Trumbull is 48 degrees while Winsted is 37 feels like 32. Huge difference.

In short:

~ Warm front is south of us in Mid Atlantic
~ Storm moves through from Great lakes tonight. Rain to south, snow and/or mix in northern CT to all rain in morning. Light stuff
~ Storm forms off Mid Atlantic moves up tomorrow brings snow Friday night Northern Tier 2-4". Mix southern.
~ Winds big story Friday night, Saturday. 30-40mph gusts!Cold front moves in.
~ High Pressure moves in Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM

On that note:

NWS issues snow map. I blended Albanys with Bostons to get CT on one pic, didnt come out that great.

Take note NWS has Litchfield COunty at 2-4" through Friday evening, NOT including Friday night. Elevation plays a key role with these 2 events.

NWS Taunton, MA - KBOX - Storm Total Snowfall Graphic
Winter Storm Graphics

Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ok folks....I'm going out on a limb here against all odds...First time this season I have made a call like this... So save this and tell me if I was wrong 5 weeks from now.

I BELIEVE MARCH WILL BE THE HIGHEST RUNNING TOTAL SNOWFALL THIS WINTER, North of NYC.

It wont all be from one big one but more of multiple accumulations.
(But I dont think it will surpass where the local heavy bands setup in October like Danbury(17"), Litchfield(16"), Winsted(18"). Those towns will hold October being the most this winter)

BDR:
October: 4"
November: 0
December: 0
January: 7.4"
February: .20"

BDL:
October: 12.3"
November: 0
December: 0
Jannuary: 6.8"
February: .T"

I agree...anything IS Possible.

Yet, like the old time weathercasters used to say – persestance is still the best short-term forecaster.

It has been such a mild/warm winter, with just about no snow in the Tri-State area, the ground is so warm plants are blooming – it hit 60 in Bridgeport today and 67 F in my backyard, do you really think this late in the game winter can mount a come back.

Maybe…but not likely.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM

While Upton is always conservative, Boston likes to "fluff" it up. lol

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?...&highlight=off

"THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM.

ALTHO INITIALLY PRECIPITATION
MAY START OUT IN THE FORM OF RAIN...THE HEAVY NATURE OF THE PRECIP
SHOULD COOL THE LOWER ATMOS COLUMN DOWN TO ITS RESPECTIVE WET-BULB
TEMP /LIKELY AT OR BELOW FRZG/ RESULTING IN THE RAIN TO TRANSITION
OVER TO SNOW

WITH INCREASED S/SWLY FLOW AT THE LOW-MID LVLS WHICH
WILL LIKELY RESULT IN SNOW TO TRANSITION TO SLEET

IT WILL BE A MESSY MORNING COMMUTE FOR LOCALES ALONG AND S OF THE MASS PIKE WITH A
WINTRY MIX RESULTING IN HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS AND REDUCED
VISIBILITIES. IMPORTANT TO NOTE IS THE LIKELY IMPACTS TO METRO AREAS SUCH AS HARTFORD

WILL CONTINUE WITH THE CURRENT WINTER WX ADVISORIES...AND HAVE
ISSUED A SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT FOR ALL OTHER AREAS ADVISING OF
ISSUES ANTICIPATED DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE. AM WATCHING
CLOSELY THE LATEST 0Z MDL FCSTS FOR FURTHER GUIDANCE

AS FOR SNOW TOTALS...AM EXPECTING BANDING THRU THE S TIER OF NEW
ENGLAND AS STATED PREVIOUSLY ALONG AND S OF THE MASS PIKE. WITH
THE INFLUENCE OF WARMER AIR ALOFT...WE MAY NOT SEE A PROLONGED
PERIOD OF SNOW...AND A TRANSITION OVER TO SLEET. LOOKING AT ACCUMS
AROUND 1-2 INCHES PRESENTLY"

Latest HiRes short range models show more than that for northern counties. Southern 4 counties shouldnt worry about this event..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
On that note:

NWS issues snow map. I blended Albanys with Bostons to get CT on one pic, didnt come out that great.

Take note NWS has Litchfield COunty at 2-4" through Friday evening, NOT including Friday night. Elevation plays a key role with these 2 events.

NWS Taunton, MA - KBOX - Storm Total Snowfall Graphic
Winter Storm Graphics
Kind of funny to see albany nws forecasting 2-4 in berkshire county, ma and right next to it boston nws has 6-8. Nobody knows what's going to happen until the storms start this year it seems like

Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Kind of funny to see albany nws forecasting 2-4 in berkshire county, ma and right next to it boston nws has 6-8. Nobody knows what's going to happen until the storms start this year it seems like
And a perfect example right now. 3am and its snowing in Wilton yet its raining in Bridgeport BDR and NYC. LOL .

About 1/2" on ground. Got a report of heavy snow in Danbury.

Even sleeting in White Plains

Last edited by Cambium; 02-24-2012 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 04:53 AM

Be safe everyone, some 3-4" reports as far south as I-84. "should" change to rain soon or just clear up.

Here's the radar loop 4:30am - 6:30am...CT got the heaviest band coming through. Snowfall rates were 1-2" an hour at one point in Hartford, Windham & Tolland Counties.

CONNECTICUT

NEW FAIRFIELD 5.0
DANBURY 4.0
SHERMAN 4.0
SHELTON 3.5
REDDING 3.0
BRIDGEPORT 2.0
NEW CANAAN 1.6
FAIRFIELD 0.8 .5 SNOW .25 SLEET

...HARTFORD COUNTY...
SOUTHINGTON 4.5
BURLINGTON 4.0
EAST FARMINGTON HEIG 2.2
EAST HARTFORD 2.0
NEW BRITAIN 1.5

...TOLLAND COUNTY...
TOLLAND 3.0

...WINDHAM COUNTY...
MOOSUP 2.5
EAST KILLINGLY 1.3

Last edited by Cambium; 02-24-2012 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Added some Totals

Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Although at 6:30am the map was "pink" in all of southern CT and down to about the northern Bronx, I was driving not long after that from southern Westchester to Norwalk and it seemed to be all rain and 95 just "wet". Didn't see any snow on the ground unti Darien or so, and barely at that. But at my "job" for today, someone else there who lives in Bridgeport said he had a solid inch on the ground and had to 'clean his car'. And someone else from Danbury said she left at 5am and it was a mess! WCBS News Radio 88 noted that I-84 was a total mess from Newburgh, NY to Hartford.

Amazing how it can change in a short distance!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I live in Marlborough and I had a good 3-4" this morning. I was not expecting that!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Some of the schools are closed with 3" of snow on the ground, which is overkill. The roads where I live are not slippery, and this will melt fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut