U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,720 times
Default Overnight parking for bridgeport ferry?

I'm looking for a SAFE place to park my car for Saturday night when I take the ferry over to long island. The bridgeport-port jefferson ferry website does not provide any information on overnight parking. I have heard that I may be able to park in the arena garage across the street from the ferry but I don't know if that's true? I'm not familiar with the area at all...so if you have any information at all, it would help! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 PM

438 posts, read 694,221 times
I've taken the ferry many times, but I've never tried parking there and can't speak for its safety. There was a previous thread about this, and at least one poster strongly recommended against parking overnight in the ferry lots. I wouldn't park in 'em, myself.

(Actually, I read that they introduced an overnight parking ban in those lots a couple of years ago, but I don't know if it's still in force.)

Depending on where you're coming from, you might consider parking in the garage at Union Station in New Haven, and taking Metro North to Bridgeport station (I think it costs $3.00 each way), from which it's a very short walk to the ferry. I've parked overnight at the New Haven garage and never had a problem; it seems reasonably safe and secure. I'm sure there are comparable parking garages in Bridgeport -- this thread indicates as much -- but I have no experience with them.

Last edited by goldenband; 02-08-2010 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM

7,051 posts, read 4,724,633 times
The garage between the ferry dock and the train station, which is used for baseball and hockey is often closed on the weekends.

I have left my car in the garage directly across the street from the station-- the older garage. I have been gone as much as 4 days on business to Washington DC. Never had a problem. Show them your ferry or train receipt on the way out for a 40% discount.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM

560 posts, read 535,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
I've taken the ferry many times, but I've never tried parking there and can't speak for its safety. There was a previous thread about this, and at least one poster strongly recommended against parking overnight in the ferry lots. I wouldn't park in 'em, myself.

(Actually, I read that they introduced an overnight parking ban in those lots a couple of years ago, but I don't know if it's still in force.)

Depending on where you're coming from, you might consider parking in the garage at Union Station in New Haven, and taking Metro North to Bridgeport station (I think it costs $3.00 each way), from which it's a very short walk to the ferry. I've parked overnight at the New Haven garage and never had a problem; it seems reasonably safe and secure. I'm sure there are comparable parking garages in Bridgeport -- this thread indicates as much -- but I have no experience with them.
If you are looking for free parking and don't mind the train. You can park at the Milford metro north train station (this is one stop from New Haven) for free on the weekends. Free parking hours are Friday 12midnight thru Sunday 12midnight. I parked at the Milford station in June 2009 and it was free I doubt it has changed since then. Altho I didn't park overnight the area looked safe and had a lot of lighting.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 AM

439 posts, read 324,201 times
According to the attendant at the Harbor Yard garage, when I asked a similar question before taking Amtrak:

The garage is closed on the weekends.
You can park at the triangle shaped fenced lot, across from the garage under I-95, on the weekends for free. He seemed to think that was a better option than I did, to be honest.

I ended up leaving on Friday and coming back on Monday so I just used the garage.

From the Metro North page:
The Parking Operator is Pro-Park. Please call this number - 203-337-9915, for further information.

(I've called it and they do answer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut