Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 8,720 times

Advertisements

The answer is: Windsor Locks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM

11 posts, read 24,845 times
Shelton, CT definitely has lower taxes, because of all the businesses in the town.Taxes have not gone up for the past 10 years of living here. HIgh school is not the best if you have kids.
Shelton is a great location, 1 hr 15 minute commute by train to NYC, 45 minutes to Hartford, 3 hrs to Boston by car.
close to Merrit parkway, I 95, I 84, I 91 , Rt 34 to danbury all within reach

Old 02-26-2011, 01:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,438,268 times
Greenwich has the lowest mill rate, but the highest prices as sosmeone mentioned, so you pay either way.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 AM

193 posts, read 369,961 times
I was under the impression that Somers had lower taxes due to hosting the state prison. A quick check on zillow.com (which lists the tax history for many houses) seems to confirm that. Example: A newer 3000 sq ft (4000 including finished basement) $500K home with taxes of $6600. I also see an older (historic) 3000 sq ft $500K home with $3700 in taxes.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,601,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Maybe you should look at Shelton/Huntington. I know my uncle complains enough about a neighboring house that's similar to his home in Trumbull. He pays $9400/yr. in Trumbull, the similar house half a block away pays $6200 in Shelton.
We lived in Shelton and the mill rate was extremely low.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times
I have no definite answer, but I would probably guess it would be a cluster of towns along the I-395 corridoor in Windham County. They are more affordable in general, but less desirable to live in.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,372,917 times
There is a comprehensive list of all 169 towns and their mill rates available from the State. Lyme along the seacoast is one of the lowest as is Lisbon because of the Transh to Energy Plant located there. Land in Lisbon is about 65% as expensive as it would be in Lyme just because Lyme is on the coast. It is the other taxes where they really get you. Cars, motorcycles, motorhomes, and other property taxes , are paid annually to the town at the local mill rate. Gas tax is almost highest in the nation. There is a 6% sales tax slated to go up to 6.5%. This state is now run by a mjority of Democrats in all three branches of government.

The new governor plans now to tax boats under property taxes, and to tax sales of everything on the retail price, even if you pay a sale price. So if you buy a suit on sale for $200 but the retail price is $400 you pay the tax on $400, not $200. There is a wholesale tax you never see on home heating oil and all gasoline because the retail seller pays it and then charges it in his price. That was a former Jodi Rell trick to tax and hide as a tax hike. You will now pay taxes on all clothes whereas it used to be anything over $50...

I am wondering when they are going to tax yard sales and I still can't get an answer if you have to pay the sales tax on a new car's MSRP or the price you actually pay since if you don't pay MSRP, then you have bought that car on sale!

I am getting out as soon as I find the right buyer for my home. Off to NH and the Free State Project.

CT.gov: Towns and Cities

Last edited by brien51; 03-02-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
There is a comprehensive list of all 169 towns and their mill rates available from the State. Lyme along the seacoast is one of the lowest as is Lisbon because of the Transh to Energy Plant located there. Land in Lisbon is about 65% as expensive as it would be in Lyme just because Lyme is on the coast. It is the other taxes where they really get you. Cars, motorcycles, motorhomes, and other property taxes , are paid annually to the town at the local mill rate. Gas tax is almost highest in the nation. There is a 6% sales tax slated to go up to 6.5%. This state is now run by a mjority of Democrats in all three branches of government.

The new governor plans now to tax boats under property taxes, and to tax sales of everything on the retail price, even if you pay a sale price. So if you buy a suit on sale for $200 but the retail price is $400 you pay the tax on $400, not $200. There is a wholesale tax you never see on home heating oil and all gasoline because the retail seller pays it and then charges it in his price. That was a former Jodi Rell trick to tax and hide as a tax hike. You will now pay taxes on all clothes whereas it used to be anything over $50...

I am wondering when they are going to tax yard sales and I still can't get an answer if you have to pay the sales tax on a new car's MSRP or the price you actually pay since if you don't pay MSRP, then you have bought that car on sale!

I am getting out as soon as I find the right buyer for my home. Off to NH and the Free State Project.

CT.gov: Towns and Cities
Lyme is not a coastal town, although it is close.

That is crazy about the paying sales tax on clothing that's on sale, at full MSRP. Can't believe our governor wants that.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Lyme is not a coastal town, although it is close.

That is crazy about the paying sales tax on clothing that's on sale, at full MSRP. Can't believe our governor wants that.
I was actually thinking about OLd Lyme as Old Lyme Shores is part of Old Lyme and is on the coast.

The new tax structure is absolutely crazy. There is a lot of fat to cut here in CT but no political will to do it. However, I have noticed that the people who voted the new gov in and getting pissed off now that they see what his plans are, more taxes and some consolidation of government instead of elimination of stupid positions like the five higher education Directors, Chancellors, etc @ a salary of about one half million per year. We could reduce this to one and save 2 million right there.

We could make CT more business friendly by elimination the so called "paper clip tax" on every business inventory. Attract more business to the state and we could generate more taxes but I am "whistling past the graveyard" since the people of CT don't care that they pay some of the highest taxes in the nation.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,074,159 times
I care and we are looking to move to DE if I can find a buyer for my home, an a job in DE.

This governor is going to squeeze the middle class till there's dust the last time he squeezes. We'll take our tax dollars with us where we go to, geeze paying tax on the full price of an item even if it's on sale...what the heck...is that even legal???

Last edited by JayCT; 03-05-2011 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Removed advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut