U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM

326 posts, read 483,199 times
Default Which towns in CT have the lowest property taxes?

Ok you can stop laughing, I know CT and the tri-state in general are highest in the nation but just wanted to see if there were certain townships that had lower property tax rates due to certain laws (ie Paramus in Bergen County, NJ has lower property taxes compared to its neighbors due to being a "business district").

I'm more interested in Fairfield/New Haven Counties but will consider counties further out if the price is right. Only concern is crime, but coming from a London I doubt even the worst of CT would scare me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,726,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Ok you can stop laughing, I know CT and the tri-state in general are highest in the nation but just wanted to see if there were certain townships that had lower property tax rates due to certain laws (ie Paramus in Bergen County, NJ has lower property taxes compared to its neighbors due to being a "business district").

I'm more interested in Fairfield/New Haven Counties but will consider counties further out if the price is right. Only concern is crime, but coming from a London I doubt even the worst of CT would scare me. Thanks.
Based on laws? None. Property tax in this state is a free for all and out of control.

Don't just look at mill rates. Towns with lower mill rates may have higher assesments...and generally the "nicer" towns are much more expensive so even with a lower tax rate you still get blind sided.

The days of finding "low taxes" in some small town are all but gone. Sorry.

Woodstock, I think Salem and a couple other small towns are not TOO bad still but that's about it that I know of. What you need to do is find a realtor as they will have the tax information for each property in the listing and know each town a little better.

Also keep in mind ALL of your personal property is taxed yearly here. Cars, boats, toys, motorcycles etc etc.

Get ready to bend over.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:31 PM

834 posts, read 1,266,819 times
Roxbury has taxes that are about half of other towns. It's a gorgeous town but off the beaten path so it's not an option for us. For example, homes in the 600k range all have taxes between 11k-14k depending on the town. The same size house in Roxbury has taxes of 6k. A few other towns in Litchfield county have taxes that are cheaper. I saw a few homes in Kent and Litchfield that were around 6-700k and the taxes were 7k-9k a year. That same exact house in Hartford or New Haven county would have taxes in the double digits.
As for Fairfield/NH counties, I'm looking there now and I don't see any towns with exceptionally low taxes. In towns like Greenwich, Darien and Westport, the taxes are cheaper but the homes are more expensive.

A 600k house in Hartford county will be a nice sized house on a nice piece of land and have property taxes somewhere around the 12k range, give or take.
A 600k house in Fairfield county, especially Greenwich, Darien or Westport will be an outdated 1970's ranch maybe 1200 square feet or a condo. But their property taxes would be 5k or less.
So the property taxes on the same mortgage would be less but you get a lot less house for the money. I hope that makes sense. So in a nutshell, no, you are not going to find a town with really low taxes in those two counties. I've been looking for the past year.

If I'm still here when we retire, I'm moving to Roxbury or Kent, lol.

eta: Here is what I'm talking about because I'm knee deep in house hunting right now.

Here is a house in Roxbury. 3400square feet on 3.6 acres The house is listed at 522k with $5400in property taxes

Here is a similar house in Newtown listed at 599k It is 3100 sq feet, 1.6 acres with $10,000 in property taxes.

1200 Here is what 599k will get you in Greenwich. The property taxes are only 3300k but you can see how small the house is with almost no land

So using these three towns as examples, you get the most bang for your buck in Roxbury.
But you aren't looking there so that doesn't help you much. Just wanted to point out the differences.
It's very frustrating to have to budget so much of your monthly mortgage payment to cover property taxes. And you really want to give yourself some breathing room in case taxes go up in the future.
Best of luck.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 02-09-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 1,851,488 times
Putnam has pretty low taxes, I have a friend who lives there and she has a smallish ranch with basement (1200 sq ft) and she pays about 1300/yr taxes.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,348,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
As for Fairfield/NH counties, I'm looking there now and I don't see any towns with exceptionally low taxes.
Maybe you should look at Shelton/Huntington. I know my uncle complains enough about a neighboring house that's similar to his home in Trumbull. He pays $9400/yr. in Trumbull, the similar house half a block away pays $6200 in Shelton.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 3,710,720 times
Taxes are reasonable in Danbury, New Fairfield, Brookfield and New Milford.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM

84 posts, read 165,682 times
The valley has reasonable taxes and so does milford.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM

834 posts, read 1,266,819 times
I think reasonable is a good word for taxes in these towns. You can find towns with reasonable taxes for the tri-state area and CT itself. Low taxes? No. But perhaps reasonable.

Quote:
He pays $9400/yr. in Trumbull, the similar house half a block away pays $6200 in Shelton.
I've been doing extensive house hunting and I've noticed that you can be comparing what seems to be an apples to apples home with another home in the same town and yet one house will have taxes a couple thousand dollars higher. I cannot figure out why though. It does seem the homes considered to be "antiques" have lower taxes compared to a home built in the 80's or 90's. But I don't blame your uncle for complaining. There are homes that I scratched off my list just because of the property taxes.
I didn't find anything in shelton or Huntington because we are looking for acreage. I miss having chickens and can't wait to have them again so we are looking at towns a little more rural. Thanks though.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM

326 posts, read 483,199 times
i just wanna say thank you all, especially Yankeerose00... i had no idea taxes below 1% of property price existed in CT, let alone fairfiled.. that is a good deal compared to say NJ, but i do understand any "savings" will be reflected in purchasing price...

i haven't had time to map all the towns listed, but ill check it out upon downtime..many thanks again.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM

326 posts, read 595,476 times
Depending on assessments and when they were done. Many of the old homes have less assessments because all the finished basements or added bathrooms where not reflected on the assessments over the years. Taxes are unbelievable in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut