U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM

801 posts, read 1,087,551 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsnMQHIJZk
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-16-2010, 02:06 PM

8,156 posts, read 11,739,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
But JViello,
People do not come into contact with a deer to get Lyme. It is a carrier yep, but is still the organism that passes it on to humans.
I don't totally disagree, but that's like saying mosquito's give you malaria.

In this case even more so, the over population of deer are the incubators for this infection and that's something that can and should be easily controlled...I won't call it a disease, because it's not. It's an infection.

Unread 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM

417 posts, read 624,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Actually yes, it can be life-threatening. You may not be aware of the complications Lyme disease can cause, but lack of knowledge is no excuse to lambast others. Not to mention, disrespectful to those who have lost friends or relatives to the disease.

Lyme is not simply a bite or rash, it is a microscopic parasite infection (spirochete) that can cause many health problems.

LymeBlog - Educator, union leader dies from complications of Lyme disease

Neurological Complications Of Lyme Disease - Medpedia

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Cli...es/sr21608.pdf
Thanks for this. But sadly, it doesn't change my opinion.

Unread 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM

11,353 posts, read 10,737,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Thanks for this. But sadly, it doesn't change my opinion.
"Sadly" is right.

I know many who have been affected by Lyme. Many doctors don't even think to diagnose people with it. They say "You have a touch of the flu - go home and come back next week if your symptoms worsen." By the time they realize it's Lyme Disease, it's too late.

I think it's irresponsible to say things along the lines of "It's only Lyme Disease, lets get over it." It sounds quite obvious that you haven't been severely affected by this disease. Consider yourself lucky.

Unread 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM

417 posts, read 624,416 times
I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier comments. I just don't want Connecticut represented in such a negative light.

Unread 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM

11,353 posts, read 10,737,096 times
Quote:
I just don't want Connecticut represented in such a negative light.
I don't either. People need to understand that Lyme disease is anywhere that has a lot of deer and grass. A girl I know from Louisville (LooVale) had a pretty bad case of it and said lots of other folks in her area have it as well. There are pros and cons to every part of the county; as someone mentioned the spiders out west, the lovebugs down south - psysically harmless but can cost people lots of $$ for various reasons - and so on. People here just need to be a little more proactive and know what they're dealing with when it comes to mother nature (not placing blame on the OP at all).

JV - I completely agree with you on the deer population. Ridgefield is taking steps to reduce that population by hiring hunters to come in and take 'em out.

You didn't offend me at all; I was just more upset with the insensitivity toward people who unfortunately have to live with it. It really does cause some serious health issues.

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,788,400 times
My wife sisters son is on SSI disabled now for many years from Lyme disease,worked for town of Simsbury I belive.
Down here in North FL a friend of ours is disabled and in bad shape from Lyme disease,doctors in both cases very slow to listen and diagnose,had false positives.

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM

834 posts, read 1,142,972 times
Does anyone know what is it about the northeast, specifically CT that makes the cases of lyme so high? Virginia and West Virginia are two states that have lots of woods and deer and their cases of lyme were 122 for Va and 20 for WV.
There can't really be that many more deer in CT than other states.
It's a real shame that doctors can be such buttheads about diagnosing this.
In the summer of 08, I found a deer tick on me one day. Then a couple days later, I felt flu like symptoms. I was living in VA at the time and I went to the dr and when I told him I was bit by a tick and then didn't feel good, he was already shaking his head no that I didn't have lyme. How did he know that? I insisted on a test which did turn out negative. So I guess my symptoms were just from something else. But it really annoyed me that a dr could be so cocky sure that it wasn't lyme.
I really hope dr's up here are more open to the fact that it's a possibility.
If you get lyme you go on antibiotics, right? Is there a reason that dr's want to wait until a person is really sick before allowing them meds?

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM

22 posts, read 29,429 times
Dear YankeeRose,
There is a long and convoluted history as to why the docs won't treat, or chose to ignore. First of all, there is more unknown than known about the disease. Docs don't like that. They like to read blood tests. In your case, if you were tested too early (within 2 weeks of the bite) your test will not be accurate.

Even the CDC acknowledges that 25-30% of people with active lyme disease will test negative on the Western Blot. The Western Blot is the better test, the screening test, the "Elisa" is useless.

I'm urging you now, get a copy of your test. If it was simply an "Elisa" and not a Western Blot, get retested. And sometimes people won't have a positive until they've been on antibiotics. And one should be treated not by the test results anyway, but by the symptoms. It just helps if you have a positive result, that way the doctors will actually pay attention.

As far as I know, Virginia is one of the top states for lyme risks.
If you can get antibiotics, you will need more than 4 weeks at this point.
Do you have any achy joints? I hate to hear stories like yours. And I've heard a lot of them, even in CT. Doctors should listen to their patients.
Good luck.

Unread 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,643,449 times
Quote:
I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier comments. I just don't want Connecticut represented in such a negative light.
Well, facts are facts. CT has a problem with Lyme. I love hiking but I don't hike anywhere in this state unless there is snow on the ground. Too risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut