Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,923,146 times

Advertisements

After much reflection, and number crunching, praying, self reflection etc etc. I've gone back and forth and waffled worse then John Kerry. It hasn't been easy.

I have come to the conclusion that CT is just not the best place for my family...sad as it is to say. I don't hate the state, it's just become a different place then what I once knew and has grown extremely hard for "traditional" middle class families just starting out to make it. The real estate and taxes and over all COL is just too high for me.

I've searched NC till my heart stopped and as some may know lived there for 2 years about a decade ago. However, they are IMHO heading down much of the same path this state has in regard to government, taxes and frankly culture (In the cities). I simply have no desire to live in Charlotte again as it's just too crowded of a city and has it's own issues as well that I don't jive with. So the other option for me would be the Triangle, and frankly I just can't live 2.5-3 hours from the ocean. I did it in the past and went bezerk.

The place I am returning too to search out is....ready?
Northeast Florida.

Yep.

I lived in Orlando for 5 years and had mixed feelings about being there and much like Charlotte, simply have no interest in living there again. BUT, I really did enjoy being in Floriday outside of the city.

I used to go shrimping (No perv comments please) in the coastal regions, lived for the beach, fished, had all kinds of garden stuff, camped in the Ocala National forest, ATV'd, had some MASSIVE fireworks parties (It's all legal there. ) etc etc. I really enjoyed my time there outside of dealing with the sprawl of Orlando and being 1-2 hours from the Ocean - again.

I spent a lot of time in Jacksonville as well and it's about the same size as Hartford but only 10 miles from the ocean and located on the St Johns river. I always enjoyed my time in Jax, as it's almost the "anti-florida" city. Hard to explain.

It's cool enough compared to Orlando - About 7-8 degrees in the "off" season and give you about a 9 month period of 65-87 degree average HIGH temps which is a major improvement over Orlando and points South in my experience.

The city is more established regarding infrastructure and economy and is growthing at a decent but not over the top pace.

Real estate is cheap compared to other places in FL (1900sf 3-2-2 on .5 acre for the 160-180K range) and due to the fact that Jax is an anomoly regarding hurricanes home owners insurance is about what we pay up here.

Property taxes in Nassau county on said home are about $1500.00 per year with a 3% cap statewide AND a 25K discount off valuation for full time residents.

No state income tax and that's roughly $5,000.00 back in my pocket right away, and my business will earn 90-95% of the same gross income and more because I can work year round while here I basically shut down in Jan/Feb (Think "lawnguy".)

I'm actually looking a bit further North of town at Yulee which gives easy 10 minute access to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach, is a 15-30 commute into Jax depending on where you are going and has everything you need inside the small community.

Amelia Island - think West Hartford Center with palm trees. Very historic and of course, on the water!

This is Jax for the curious:

I got an out of the blue offer for my company and it turns out the guy is serious and will be giving me a 40K on 3-2 as a down payment and the rest shortly after. I have to stay on for 6 months salaried to transition and then it's a "go".

My wife is 3 monts pregnant with our second and does NOT wish to return back to work after this one.

For me, this will allow me to raise my family the way we wish without being strung to the edge. My wife can be the SAHM she always wanted to be, we will live in a conservative section of the country that better aligns with my day to day mindset.

We are leaving on Friday to do the final "look around" for a week and then make concrete plans to sell the house etc.

I'll still be here being myself so don't worry. I appreciate all the insight and things I have learned from my "home" state, but it's really just time to go. It's been a heck of a ride these last 12 years. Some regretted others not so much.

I'll be sure to report back my "findings" for anyone who is curious. I gotta run, way too much to do. All this was off the top of my head so please forgive typos and grammer if messed up.

Best,

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

786 posts, read 3,910,382 times
Wow! Looks like a really nice area. Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,836,627 times
I agree, it looks like a nice area. I bet you will miss Ct.'s fall and winters, but it looks like a nice trade-off. You can always keep on top our weather through the weather threads here. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,674,226 times
Good journey to you, hope your path is smooth.

Just a note on Jacksonville, you may want to look outside of the city. Have done the CT to FL drive many times (although yes, the last time was about 12 years ago) any hoo , I always hated the approach to Jacksonville it had a smell that was just offputting??? Not sure why??? I've heard some say there is a tannery somewhere near by. So, as your looking try to be out off the stink zone for your lovely wife's pregnant nose.

Again, best wishes to you.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,872,139 times
Wow! Good for you!

The "J" of "DandJ" lived in Jax for about a year. It wasn't his type of place for a variety of reasons, one of which is that everything is so spread out, but I kinda dug it when I would visit.

The temperature (and humidity) is much more tolerable there compared to South Florida, where "J" grew up.

And in Jax, you're close to St. Augustine, which is a fun day trip. So is Savannah, Georgia a fabulous day's outing.

Good luck with all that the move entails (selling your house, etc...) and I wish you a wonderful future in your new home and state.

ETA: And congratulations on the new addition to your family!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 PM

3,481 posts, read 9,379,024 times
Having previously lived in Florida, all I can say is good luck and godspeed.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 PM

34,648 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Best wishes Jay on your move. If I had to move to Florida I think is the only area I would consider. I have family there and they like it. Not as sprawling or backwoods as other parts of Florida. Good luck. Jay

Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM

834 posts, read 2,269,157 times
Best of luck and please continue to pop in here.
A person has to do what is best for them and them alone. CT has been fabulous to us, but that's us. I'm sure you'll be very happy living someplace else because it will serve your family better than here.
You've lived in different places, as I have and one thing I've found is that the more you've moved around, the harder it is to completely love one place. So you find a place that you love more than other places. No place will be perfect and because you've experienced other places, you can't help but compare things in your mind. But you find the one place that suits you best. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure there will be things you miss about here, but you'll know that when it comes down to it, you did the right thing for your family.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 02-17-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM

834 posts, read 2,269,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Best wishes Jay on your move. If I had to move to Florida I think is the only area I would consider. I have family there and they like it. Not as sprawling or backwoods as other parts of Florida. Good luck. Jay
I lived in Florida for 15 years and I totally agree if I had to move back, the Jax area would be where I went. It's a really nice area but doesn't have the sprawl or congestion of middle/south Florida or the dueling banjos like other parts of the state.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,207,942 times
Good Luck! As a side note, you may want to try the Autotrain for any periodic trips between the Northeast and Florida. You board just south of Washington, DC and the train takes you plus your family plus car to somewhere in between Jacksonville and Orlando. Saves a lot of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut