Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM

21,568 posts, read 30,996,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
My poor thread has been hijacked. Can I have it back, please? Heck, it's a good thing I can go back to my original question because reading the last 20 or so posts has made me forget what i asked. lol
Your thread wasn't "hijacked", you asked what UConn and Storrs were like. You heard differing opinions on the subject, which were all about both Uconn and Storrs (until Yale and prohibition came into the discussion). Anyway, best of luck with your college search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 PM

14 posts, read 40,616 times
Ok dude simply put STORRS US UCONN...and uconn is a self sufficent city. Infact ive seen peter pans and greyhounds run to storrs. Youll have plenty to do, and plenty of nights you wont remeber.

About CT..well its Ct, everything you heard is true. Our cities are not as graceful as they once were, but they are cool places to hang. The two major ones are Hartford and new haven. both have a good bar scene and things to do(iam 25 so i can relate to were your at). I will say that in new haven where Ive lived for 25 years..(except for college) if you go past yale parts, youll be in a scarry place. I dont care where your from it is very apparent when you get to new haven, outside of immediate downtown, and yale area..its not safe.
Other than that just google histortical ct, or websites like that, and look for local people who put up blogs etc..best source for this state.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 AM

243 posts, read 771,329 times
Quote:
Yes, my son and several of his friends went to Spring Weekend or whatever it's called last year at UConn. They were visiting just one friend who is actually a UConn student.

The rest of the year they all party at each other's colleges, including my son's, whose college is considered another "party school". They do a lot of partying at all the Ct. colleges throughout the year, but the difference is size---the smaller colleges just don't get noticed as much as UConn which is larger.

So it's a matter of "size matters". All the schools are partying, but it's just more noticeable at the larger ones. It's math, people.
Quote:
The turn this thread has taken is so funny. I just have to say that for this former Yalie (way back in the day), we could have shown those Huskies a few things about partying! UCONN had nothing over Yale!

As the mother of teens looking at colleges, I can assure that UCONN's reputation is stellar. It has a huge number of top applicants and is extremely competitive to get accepted. Acceptance at the university does not guarantee acceptance into many of the majors. UCONN's School of Education is ranked in the top ten in the COUNTRY!

Partying happens everywhere. Everywhere. By the way, the University policy is no alcohol is permitted in the dorms. Students lose their housing if they are found with alcohol. While I am sure there is drinking in the dorm rooms, it certainly is "behind close doors." RA's are required to report these incidents and they do. RA's do not risk their job and free housing to handout red cups.
Thank you both. Atleast someone gets it. UConn was considered a party school for a while during the mid 90's It's not anymore. Of course with a notorious rep from those times, Spring Weekend still gets recognition as a horrific event. No, but kids are going to party the week before finals and when there are alot of students its going to seem alot larger than it is.

Quote:
I find it funny that people who haven't been in college in many years are trying to compare the party life at a school like UConn to a school like Western. Oh, if they only knew. LOL
Comical. I graduated from UConn two years ago. One of my best friends went to WestConn. I've seen kids get arrested at WestConn, kicked off campus, etc. etc. for drinking and doing absurd things. While I have seen kids at UConn party, never have I seen the amounnt of beligerance and violence I've seen as I did the nights I stayed at WestConn.

Nice try.

Students attend UConn today for academics, if you want to talk about partying, go to the state schools like Southern and Eastern where many of the kids were to busy in high school partying to get good enough grades to attend UConn.

On the surface UConn is the state's flahship university, it's huge. It's party scence will of course look bigger, but when it comes down to math, it's not.

I dont understand why people are taking shots at me. I've been to UConn, I graduated there recently. I've been to MANY, MANY other colleges. It happens everywhere. I've seen it worse at other places.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,941,046 times

^^^^What I feel like doing if I read this thread anymore.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times
Given that I am seriously considering going to grad school at UConn, I can't decide if this is good info or bad info to have.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM

220 posts, read 523,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Given that I am seriously considering going to grad school at UConn, I can't decide if this is good info or bad info to have.
It probably depends on your program - some grad programs are held on the West Hartford campus. I think the graduate experience at many schools is significantly different from the undergraduate experience as described on this thread, especially if you live off campus.

I went to a 'party school' (Fairfield) and found plenty of things to do that did not involve partying. My school had 3200 people. If UConn has 17,000, I can't imagine you wouldn't have a similar experience. The school has a good reputation. Good luck to the OP in making your decision.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
It probably depends on your program - some grad programs are held on the West Hartford campus. I think the graduate experience at many schools is significantly different from the undergraduate experience as described on this thread, especially if you live off campus.

I went to a 'party school' (Fairfield) and found plenty of things to do that did not involve partying. My school had 3200 people. If UConn has 17,000, I can't imagine you wouldn't have a similar experience. The school has a good reputation. Good luck to the OP in making your decision.

Yes, it would be the law school in West Hartford.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:28 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Yes, it would be the law school in West Hartford.
UConn's Law School is located in Hartford, not West Hartford. It is a separate campus. There is also a small branch of UConn in West Hartford as well but they offer other studies. I do not think the Law School offers housing. It is mostly off campus housing there. The school is located in the West End which is a somewhat urban area. The area to the west of the school is one of the nicest sections of the city. The area to the east is not as good. There have been a number of posts here from people looking to find apartments in this area. Check them out for recommendations. Jay

Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
UConn's Law School is located in Hartford, not West Hartford. It is a separate campus. There is also a small branch of UConn in West Hartford as well but they offer other studies. I do not think the Law School offers housing. It is mostly off campus housing there. The school is located in the West End which is a somewhat urban area. The area to the west of the school is one of the nicest sections of the city. The area to the east is not as good. There have been a number of posts here from people looking to find apartments in this area. Check them out for recommendations. Jay

I forget that there is a difference between West Hartford and west Hartford.

I need to rent a house, so I am coming up to look at areas. It seems Farmington / Bolton, around there, are nice and where I need to look.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Farmington is an upscale suburb located west of Hartford. Bolton is rural suburb east of Hartford. I would suggest living west of Hartford for ease of commuting to the school. Commuting from one side of Hartford to the other is difficult due to traffic. Another town to consider is West hartford which has a wide range of housing options and would be very convenient. A lot would depend on your budget and what you need/expect to get for your money. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut