Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM

14 posts, read 40,616 times

Advertisements

Everyone is a moron to think uconn is not known for there partying I have tons of freinds who went, and are still going, and so did my uncle! Uconn is a city in its self and has its own bars and nightlife, and HELL THE PARTIES ARE GREAT......all i can say is U C O N N uconn uconn uconn!!!!
Btw uconn is the states university, i myself bleed huskie blood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM

543 posts, read 1,894,925 times
My daughter was just put on the deferred list for UConn. While she is disappointed that she didn't get accepted right off the bat we still hold out hope. We visited some great schools on the east coast in Oct. but didn't get a chance to see UConn. She chose it because it was recommended to her by her college counselor. Now I'm not even sure she would want to go there if it is "out in the middle of nowhere" like it seems from this thread. We plan to visit in April because my husband's job is relocating us to CT so we will visit UConn to see what it is like. She won't find out until May if she gets in. I am a little hesitant to send her away to a school that is not close to anything just because I believe the lack of activity in surrounding areas does lead to more partying. She will be coming from CA and I am also wondering how many kids there are from out of state, or if they are all local. She wants a RAH RAH school, which I believe UConn is, but will she be homesick with nothing to do?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,832,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
My daughter was just put on the deferred list for UConn. While she is disappointed that she didn't get accepted right off the bat we still hold out hope. We visited some great schools on the east coast in Oct. but didn't get a chance to see UConn. She chose it because it was recommended to her by her college counselor. Now I'm not even sure she would want to go there if it is "out in the middle of nowhere" like it seems from this thread. We plan to visit in April because my husband's job is relocating us to CT so we will visit UConn to see what it is like. She won't find out until May if she gets in. I am a little hesitant to send her away to a school that is not close to anything just because I believe the lack of activity in surrounding areas does lead to more partying. She will be coming from CA and I am also wondering how many kids there are from out of state, or if they are all local. She wants a RAH RAH school, which I believe UConn is, but will she be homesick with nothing to do?
There are 16,000 students at UCONN. How stuck in the middle of nowhere do you think she would be surrounded by 16,000 people her age? Do you really think boredom would be a problem?

2008 statistics show 10% are from out of state.

You really should visit the campus as it is its own city. It is huge.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:09 AM

34,731 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Being in or near a large city could be an even bigger distraction. If a student is going to party, they will party no matter which school they go to IMHO. Jay

Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,762 times
Smile Very nicely put Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As others noted, the biggest difference would be the weather and that winter can be rough. But also note that we do have very beautiful fall and spring as well. The landscape in Connecticut is rolling hills covered with a lot of trees. in the fall the trees turn color and offer a wonder array of foliage that can be stunning. In the spring the trees turn green and then generally remain that way until the next fall. People travel from all over the world to see it.

As for UConn, it is a large school that is located in a small rural town about 40 minutes from Hartford. While people from some parts of the country do not think that is far, locals think it is (this is a New England thing). Because it is such a large school, there are many activities on campus so traveling off campus is not really necessary very often. I would suggest you visit the state to get a feel for it and see if it is to your liking. Jay

Very nicely put Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut