Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,326 times

Advertisements

Lantieri's in Hartford was the bakery pizza place in the 1960's and 1970's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
Default not Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A lot of pizza places cut their pizza into squares in the Hartford area. It is mostly thick crust Greek style pizza. Any idea where the place was located? I am not sure how many places around are that old but it may still be here. Jay
it wasn't Greek. Lantieri's was founded by Sicilians(technically descended from Greek colonists 600 B.C.)
you can get almost identical pizza at Senape's in Hazelton, PA. they call it PITZA though

Old 07-26-2015, 01:39 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Know a lot of places can pick up Sicilian 18" pies usually cut in squares. Not sure if it is the same? Do like the pies some make it too doughy very chewy prefer it with a crunch.

Dominic and Vinnie's in CT makes a good pie like that not sure if it is Sicilian at time's. Think they have square pies come to think of it and in a paper bag it's amazing.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Know a lot of places can pick up Sicilian 18" pies usually cut in squares. Not sure if it is the same? Do like the pies some make it too doughy very chewy prefer it with a crunch.

Dominic and Vinnie's in CT makes a good pie like that not sure if it is Sicilian at time's. Think they have square pies come to think of it and in a paper bag it's amazing.
There's definitely a difference between Sicilian and Greek pizza. And honestly, I never heard of Greek Pizza until I moved to CT. There's a Greek pizza place in Stamford that my coworkers love - Hope Pizza. I'm not crazy about it, but that may be because it's just not something I grew up eating & loving. IMO it's kind of like a hybrid between a regular pie, in that it's kind of roundish shaped, but it has a thicker crust than a typical NYC pizza; and a Sicilian pie, but NOT as thick of a crust as a Sicilian, if that makes sense? And the "slices" are cut on a diagonal -- kind of small diamond shaped slices -- not nearly as big and square as a Sicilian slice. It's also a little greasier - both the crust and the cheese. It's not bad though, and of course I eat it whenever the office orders it in.

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated/Americas Test Kitchen magazines, and a number of years ago they had a special "pizza issue." In it was a recipe for what they called "St. Louis style" pizza. I swear it looked exactly like what I think of Greek Pizza as being...

Old 07-26-2015, 02:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I know what you are talking about...it's not really pizza but similar in "look and taste". Generally served cold and purchased from a bakery only on weekends.

We used to get it on the weekends in Waterbury and when I moved back to Hartford an Italian friend used to pick some up on Franklin ave, but I'm not sure where. I would call around some of the bakeries in Hartford and ask.

Edit: I found a pic that looks similar to what I'm talking about:
This is exactly the same thing I'm thinking of too. We had it growing up in the city, and friends' moms would make it all the time. And yes, it was always served room temperature and not hot (If I close my eyes I can almost hear my friends mom say the word. In her heavy Italian accent it sounds like "fo-gotch. I'm sure she was really saying focaccia though . Craving it now!!! Lol)

Old 07-26-2015, 02:13 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Heard a pie place in CT makes a rectangle pizza that is just sauce and olive oil. Not too thin but not too thick sounds like an amazing pie.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsjj View Post
it wasn't Greek. Lantieri's was founded by Sicilians(technically descended from Greek colonists 600 B.C.)
you can get almost identical pizza at Senape's in Hazelton, PA. they call it PITZA though

Lantieri's is 100% Sicilian pizza, the business and property were sold, but the recipe was also sold.
You can still purchase the pizza at Nardi's Breads in South Windsor, CT.
But you can only buy it by the sheet, and it must be preordered.
However it can be frozen and tastes just as good reheated in the oven.
~ A. Lantieri

Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 13,401 times
It's called tomato pie in the Philadelphia area and "pizza strips" in RI and Eastern MA. Very common in Italian bakeries in RI.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times
Default Pizza still available anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantieri3 View Post
Lantieri's is 100% Sicilian pizza, the business and property were sold, but the recipe was also sold.
You can still purchase the pizza at Nardi's Breads in South Windsor, CT.
But you can only buy it by the sheet, and it must be preordered.
However it can be frozen and tastes just as good reheated in the oven.
~ A. Lantieri

Nardi's Breads is now out of business effective today. My Dad used to buy sheet pizza from Lantieri's on Front Street in Hartford when he used to work at the Hartford Gas Company next door. When Lantieri's left, he started buying from Nardi's. When my Dad passed away in '95, we carried on the tradition - we've been buying this pizza now for close to 60 years - until today. Would you or anyone happen to know who use's this same recipe? I've tried other bakery's, but none compare to this pizza. If given the recipe, I'll even try to make it myself :-).

Old 03-31-2022, 04:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkelly View Post
Nardi's Breads is now out of business effective today. My Dad used to buy sheet pizza from Lantieri's on Front Street in Hartford when he used to work at the Hartford Gas Company next door. When Lantieri's left, he started buying from Nardi's. When my Dad passed away in '95, we carried on the tradition - we've been buying this pizza now for close to 60 years - until today. Would you or anyone happen to know who use's this same recipe? I've tried other bakery's, but none compare to this pizza. If given the recipe, I'll even try to make it myself :-).

Chimirri Bakery in Wethersfield sells this type of Sicilian pizza every day by the slice. Not sure if they sell whole sheets perhaps call to check. It is very lite on cheese.

https://www.chimirrispastry.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut