Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM

17 posts, read 62,557 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the Mill River condos in South Windsor? I was wondering if anyone knew much about the complex. What do you think it would cost to heat these units as they have electric heat. Unit I was looking at is about 825 square fee, middle unit on bottom floor. I have no idea how much electric heat would cost there or if this is the right place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
I live in the candlewood apartments/mill river meadows. My unit is 820 square feet.

It really depends on how warm you like to be. Its not cheap either way since its electric. Middle unit is good because it gets heat from both sides but it can run up to a couple hundred a month if you dont be careful.
I make sure i turn them all down to 60 when not home, keep my doors closed to bedroom/bathroom so i dont have to heat those and also use a space heater.
Just a heads up too, bottom units can be noisy. My neighbor is kind of fat so i can hear him walking around upstairs a lot. Also condo fees are pretty expensive. I think they are like 170 now or something close.

South windsor is expensive in general. You pay for living in a nice town. Thats how it should be though. The location is awesome. 5 minutes from the mall. 5 minutes from interstates. Tons of stuff around there im sure. Property values have been steadily moving up and so forth.

Last edited by skel1977; 03-08-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks for your response skel1977! I do appreciate it. Is it mainly the walking and creaking of floors that you hear from other units or can you constantly hear their TV running and their microwave and shower, etc? Is the community pretty friendly and quiet in general or are there some loud obnoxious people around? You mentioned the heat adds up (electric... pshh what were they thinking?)... what is the most you've ever had for a month and what do you think the average for the winter, the summer and the year as a whole are? I haven't seen the condo docs yet, but would you be able to get away with installing your own wood stove or are the modification restrictions too tight. Thanks again for your help - hopefully I will be one of your new neighbors! haha

Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM

If you wait until tomorrow I can tell you. Can look over my electric tonight and give a better response. As far as the noise its the creaking boards. I have been informed that it can be treated but the owner themselves have to do it when laying down carpet. Why would they though? It costs more money and its not like the creaking bothers them :P

Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Haha! Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to pay for it when they're sitting on the top floor, unaffected by your movement. Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time tonight. BTW, I noticed a lot of dogs while I was navigating the complex with my realtor. Do you know if they have a weight limit?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Also condo fees are pretty expensive. I think they are like 170 now or something close.
I don't think $170 for condo fees is high these days. I know complexes that pay more. Jay

Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think $170 for condo fees is high these days. I know complexes that pay more. Jay
I suppose its not high these days. I have friends that pay like 80 dollars so to me 170 is high

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuyNewCondo View Post
Haha! Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to pay for it when they're sitting on the top floor, unaffected by your movement. Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time tonight. BTW, I noticed a lot of dogs while I was navigating the complex with my realtor. Do you know if they have a weight limit?
Dont think so. Next door has greyhounds, seen boxers etc. I realized last night I cant really provide you with a heating estimate. It really depends you know? How much do you run the heat during the winter. How much do you run AC during summer? How many people are living there ? How many hours are you home? Its really hard to say since its all relative. "Also Im pretty sure my GF leaves the heat on at 80 when im not there but she will never admit to it.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
skel1977 Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT

I suppose its not high these days. I have friends that pay like 80 dollars so to me 170 is high
I think it is on the higher end of the mid range fees, but there are plenty that are higher.

Skel, makes sense you couldn't accurately guess. Thanks for looking though - any idea what is the highest you have ever run the bill up to?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Probably like 300 in a month off the top of my head possibly due to leaivng the heat on and going on vacation. I pay more during the winter months for electricity because i like the heat and so does my GF. Barely run the central air during summer.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut