Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times

Advertisements

Here is why *I* do not like living in Connecticut.

1. The weather - I like warm weather, not wearing coats or having to deal with snow.

2. Cost of living - while I know it's worse in other states, CT is pretty bad. I am single and make good money for what I do, but I still live paycheck to paycheck and not in a good area becuase it is all I can afford.

3. The singles life here stinks. I realize that's my opinion and others might think it's good and disagree with me, but I won't go much further into it. It's very hard to meet someone here in CT as they are only into looks and money. That's my experience in all my years. Again, I'd rather not go into detail, but IMO. I realize it's not easy everywhere, but certainly other states are better than CT.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrazor View Post
I moved here a year and a half ago from California and have to say that I can't wait to move again. The weather, snotty people, old run down cities, just name a few is just too depressing!
Yeah you're absolutely right. Just not enough Snow here!! I'm moving too.

I find it funny how people will judge an entire state by the small area they live in. Live in Westchester, NY for 1 month and then talk.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM

11 posts, read 35,858 times
We are moving to coastal NC. CT has done us in...high property taxes and housing, and yes, the weather stinks. I find the people to be fine in our area (Bethel/Redding). We are going house hunting in 2 weeks in NC and can't wait!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
After visiting places like South Carolina I now think people in CT are A*******. I never noticed before but after seeing people in SC wave at me just because i drove by their house or ask me how I am without even knowing me and then returning to CT to have people practically drive over me if im in the crosswalk kind of gave me perspective on the state I live in

My brother in law, also from SC came to live with my sister for 1 year while they were engaged. He tells me a story that goes like this. Keep in mind he was living in the south end of Hartford in a crappy apartment with my sister.

anyways he says he was outside and the mailman came along and he got the mail from him. He said something like Thank you for the mail sir, its a wonderful day we are having being his normal respectful self. The mailman says something like wtf is wrong with you, you retarded or something? He was kind of taken back by that but it made me laugh.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-01-2010 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Removed offensive language

Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM

I remember years ago when we used to go up to Maine - WAY up in Maine, near the Canadian border - to visit family. First time I went I was with my father and stepmother - she was driving. All of a sudden a car honks at us as they go by, I see her wave, and was like wtf? I thought she was just waving like some people do when they get honked at - just to irritate the other driver.

Nope, it was a friendly person who drove the same exact car. Apparently when they see someone in their same car, they honk and wave. Very friendly.

I was shocked. You would never see that here. At least not in the friendly way.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM

138 posts, read 420,686 times
I was just in Stowe, VT this past weekend and was taken aback by how friendly everyone was that we encountered. It was really nice. We ate at a restaurant and asked the bartender for a recipe and he went in the back and hand wrote the entire recipe for us. I can't even get my local stop and shop to special order one darn item. Not everyone in CT is rude but I have seen plenty of it and it just grates on me. Would it really hurt to say 'excuse me' when you walk right in front of me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I remember years ago when we used to go up to Maine - WAY up in Maine, near the Canadian border - to visit family. First time I went I was with my father and stepmother - she was driving. All of a sudden a car honks at us as they go by, I see her wave, and was like wtf? I thought she was just waving like some people do when they get honked at - just to irritate the other driver.

Nope, it was a friendly person who drove the same exact car. Apparently when they see someone in their same car, they honk and wave. Very friendly.

I was shocked. You would never see that here. At least not in the friendly way.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:12 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post

I find it funny how people will judge an entire state by the small area they live in. Live in Westchester, NY for 1 month and then talk.
What is this supposed to mean?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
I All of a sudden a car honks at us as they go by, I see her wave, and was like wtf?

Nope, it was a friendly person who drove the same exact car. Apparently when they see someone in their same car, they honk and wave.
Honking is very dangerous and can scare another driver. I would not want to be around honking cars.

I find people in CT to be very friendly.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
I was just in Stowe, VT this past weekend and was taken aback by how friendly everyone was that we encountered. It was really nice. We ate at a restaurant and asked the bartender for a recipe and he went in the back and hand wrote the entire recipe for us. I can't even get my local stop and shop to special order one darn item. Not everyone in CT is rude but I have seen plenty of it and it just grates on me. Would it really hurt to say 'excuse me' when you walk right in front of me?

I agree not EVERYONE in CT is rude, but certainly most people are. Heck, I've been in other states and had men hold the door open for me. Here, you would get it slammed in your face, with the exception of a very, very few.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 AM

193 posts, read 372,386 times
Quote:
I agree not EVERYONE in CT is rude, but certainly most people are.
Do you have specific statistics you can quote?

Quote:
Heck, I've been in other states and had men hold the door open for me. Here, you would get it slammed in your face, with the exception of a very, very few.
Maybe you should try holding the door open for more people. Maybe it'll catch on.

Personally, I don't see it, but I'll admit that I haven't traveled a whole lot. I lived in PA for two years, and I've traveled to VT, NH, and MD. In none of those states did I noticed any appreciable difference in how rude/polite people were on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut