Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 AM

34,916 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Please note that insulting remarks are not allowed on this forum. Please stick to the topic at hand. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The problem in most states is that the pensions are vastly more generous than any private person can earn, at all salary levels.
Yes, that's true. Private sector pensions are rare and being completely phased out.

But even when they were more prevalent, they did not pay the same % of a person's final year's salary than public sector pensions do.

What has happened is that the private sector has eliminated pensions while public sector pensions have become more generous. (at least in California where I live...I assume the trends are the same in other states).

However, some state & local governments have started to pare back on pensions for new employees, by raising the retirement age, reducing the benefit formula, etc. It seems there's more to come.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
State employees earn every bit of their pay. Why didn't any of u who r complaining work for the state? Would you consider working in a prison or other state facility with the high probability of getting stabbed? A boss that never supports their employees like the Governor? No one ever says "Good Job" or thanx. How about the woman who was maulled by someone who was released and stalked her. Would u like a state job? Then apply for one instead of opening ur big mouth and complaining. YOU have no idea what ur talking about.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig1 View Post
State employees earn every bit of their pay.
Counter-examples abound every day at DMV offices in many states.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig1 View Post
State employees earn every bit of their pay. Why didn't any of u who r complaining work for the state? Would you consider working in a prison or other state facility with the high probability of getting stabbed? A boss that never supports their employees like the Governor? No one ever says "Good Job" or thanx. How about the woman who was maulled by someone who was released and stalked her. Would u like a state job? Then apply for one instead of opening ur big mouth and complaining. YOU have no idea what ur talking about.
Aahhh, another clueless state employee chiming in.

Yep, those 7 hour work days, well above private sector pay, full pension retirement after 20 years, free medical for LIFE are sure tough.

I'll tell you who they are tough on, the tax payers footing the bill.

Yes, I'd work in a prison. No worries. I dont' care about being told "thanks" for doing the job I'm PAID to do...especially with a golden parachute like state employees get.

You show me how a school super is worth over 300K a year in a town like Bloomfield and I'll recant my statement.

I won't go to work for the state because I enjoy working for myself. However, as a taxpayer who FUNDS the state payroll, I have every right to voice an opinion. If it was a private sector job, I would have no say and wouldn't want too.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Many state employees are working 8 hour days now. They started doing away with the 35 hour work week in some categories over 15 years ago. There are some state employees that are veyr good and some not so good. Also, the poster above is correct, it usually is a thankless job. There is no incentive to do better because someone that does not do as much gets the smae pay as the idiot sitting there filing thei nails. DW was a state employee for a number of years and found this to be very frustrating. She basically quit because she was required to work in a different office one day a week (when they went to 40 hours) and everyone would run to her and dump all the work on her desk that the lazy staff did not do that week.

Also note that it is not the pay that is great, it is the benefits. They have the best medical and retirement plans and that is what is costing the state big $$$. As for the Superintendent in Bloomfield, he is not a state employee. He is employed by the town. I own't coment on whether or not he is worth $300k per year or not (if that really is how much he is getting) Jay

Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Many state employees are working 8 hour days now. They started doing away with the 35 hour work week in some categories over 15 years ago. There are some state employees that are veyr good and some not so good. Also, the poster above is correct, it usually is a thankless job. There is no incentive to do better because someone that does not do as much gets the smae pay as the idiot sitting there filing thei nails. DW was a state employee for a number of years and found this to be very frustrating. She basically quit because she was required to work in a different office one day a week (when they went to 40 hours) and everyone would run to her and dump all the work on her desk that the lazy staff did not do that week.

Also note that it is not the pay that is great, it is the benefits. They have the best medical and retirement plans and that is what is costing the state big $$$. As for the Superintendent in Bloomfield, he is not a state employee. He is employed by the town. I own't coment on whether or not he is worth $300k per year or not (if that really is how much he is getting) Jay
Jay, with all due respect that statement could be made in any company. The "thanks" is the fact that you have a job and can support your family, get a good salary and great benefits. The whole "here's a cookie" thing just doesn't jive with me. Sorry.

I realize the super is not a state employee, but I lump them all in the same category for the most part as they share the same dynamics.

His actuall salary is $225,019 but total compensation ends up being over 300K. Considering A. the state of Bloomfield schools and B. the tax rate of the town, I'd be pretty pissed if I lived there. Talk about a money grab. Sheesh.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Most private companies offer incentives for well done jobs whether it be a better raise, a bonus or a promotion. In state jobs, it almost does not matter how well you do. If you know the right people or are good at tests and interviews, you can get a promotion whether or not you did well at your job. Also note that most private firms offer training which the state tends to be very cheap with.

As for the Superintendent in Bloomfield, you forget we live in a society that pays what people are worth. Whether you agree to it or not, School Superintendents make that kind of money all over the country, not just here. If there were a large number of qualified people to take that job, the pay rate would be lower. Call it what you will but it is our free enterprise system. Jay

Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Superintendents make that kind of money all over the country, not just here. If there were a large number of qualified people to take that job, the pay rate would be lower. Call it what you will but it is our free enterprise system. Jay
They are government jobs. Thus, it is not the free enterprise system.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
CT has one of the most underfunded pension plans in the country and eventually taxpayers will end up footing the bill. It says a lot about state politics when they'd rather loot the pension funds than address the problem.

Seems the highest priority of state government is to keep compensating public employees generously. The neediest aren't even on the radar screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut