Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 24,564 times

Advertisements

I saw an add about the new Lofts at Yale & Towne in southend Stamford. From what I heard and read here, the westside and southend are not safe and should be avoided. But this new lofts seem very interesting, and if the Harbor Point development can deliver what's promised, it should be a very nice area soon.

I'll be moving to Stamford in two months and am looking for an apartment right now. I've been mainly considering Stamford Corners, the two Avalon apartment, the Village, and 100 Prospect. The rent would be probably all around $1700 or more. Although I could afford the rent in principle, I wouldn't mind saving some cash....And it seems the lofts could be very cool (exposed brick, high ceiling etc). I couldn't find much info about Lofts at Yale & Towne beside its website. Anyone knows more about this development and the area in general? Would that be a OK place to live now with all the new development? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM

10,049 posts, read 14,414,649 times
I'd suggest checking out the Harbor Pointe website. I am not sure when the lofts would go on sale, but judging by the slower construction of the site, I'd imagine move-ins are probably not scheduled until at least mid-2011. But, I'm not sure--just guessing based on what the site looks like now. For sure the south end of Stamford is going to simply get better and better--as Harbor Pointe opens and new sites around it are developed. It's a good spot for investment I think.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM

I checked the Harbor Pointe website but only the plan, not much current status. I was told the Lofts will be ready for viewing some time next month. I think it's promising, but with all the constructions going on, may not be the best place to live for now.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:51 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Given our economy, I think it is amazing that any new development is moving forward. This means that the area is going to change in a big way and fairly soon. If you can deal with the construction, one day this will be a great area to live in. But keep in mind it will take time. Jay

Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,626 times
Default Look at Glenview House in Stamford - Opened 10/08 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by novocaine View Post
I saw an add about the new Lofts at Yale & Towne in southend Stamford. From what I heard and read here, the westside and southend are not safe and should be avoided. But this new lofts seem very interesting, and if the Harbor Point development can deliver what's promised, it should be a very nice area soon.

I'll be moving to Stamford in two months and am looking for an apartment right now. I've been mainly considering Stamford Corners, the two Avalon apartment, the Village, and 100 Prospect. The rent would be probably all around $1700 or more. Although I could afford the rent in principle, I wouldn't mind saving some cash....And it seems the lofts could be very cool (exposed brick, high ceiling etc). I couldn't find much info about Lofts at Yale & Towne beside its website. Anyone knows more about this development and the area in general? Would that be a OK place to live now with all the new development? Thanks!
This new deal will take some time to comlpete and the area to build up. You should look at Glenview House

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,600 times
The Lofts will be open for occupancy on May 1st, so I encourage you to schedule an appt. to see them! While the area is undergoing construction, BLT has already positively changed the southend and it is certainly now I safe area. Now is the best time to take advantage because the project is new and the rents will reflect the fact you have to deal with the construction around you... plus, you'll have more choices as to which apartment you want to rent.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,235 times
I drove by the other day and that development looks to be finished. I bet it would be a cool place to live, and convenient to the train, but obviously if you'd like to be able to walk to Bedford Street the location is a bit of a drag.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silli View Post
I drove by the other day and that development looks to be finished. I bet it would be a cool place to live, and convenient to the train, but obviously if you'd like to be able to walk to Bedford Street the location is a bit of a drag.
I look forward to checking out how the lofts actually look like inside. The fact that it's quite far away from Bedford is indeed a big downside, especially after I visited Stamford the other day and found out all the nice restaurants and the cinema on Bedford. But as Greenwich Guru said, the rent will be somewhat attractive. I just hope it will be open for viewing soon as promised (mid April i think).

Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,139 times
Question - need a Stamford expert - now that the Lofts are open and available - I was looking for more information around this section of Stamford regarding safety. I know they have their own parking lot - was wondering - okay to park your car there? They claim there will be "monitoring" the grounds 24/7 but just am not sure - currently live 80th and Riverside in NYC and don't know much about the area. Have a dog and are there places to walk him - that are safe - for both a female and a male, early in the AM and late PM before and after work? Any color thoughts etc would be a great help. Or general thoughts for a person 6-years sick of NYC and looking to get out towards a slower pace / more open feel without the pretentious NYC attitude. Also imagine the Fairway opening this Fall will add some safety component - what are the current asethics of this area like? Would tell soemone not to look at a Bing Map and make a decision - will check it out Saturday.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 11,371 times
I just want to give some useful advice from someone who has come from NYC and lived in Westchester, Long Island, and Stamford for some time. Currently, there are no real aesthetics to the area because everything is projected. When I visited and looked around, I didn't see any parks or water - just other houses that were fairly close to the windows on the other side of the building. Maybe some trees. They "expect" to have green grounds, a green grocer, retail outlets very close by (too close even), etc. The area is much safer than it was, but still has a ways to go. I'm not sure about this monitoring they claim to have in the future.

I wasn't impressed. For the amount of space and service they provide, especially with the ongoing construction, the price isn't friendly or considerate. As an artist, I was especially disappointed with the "loft" style they claim to have. Although pretty, they are basically apartments with big windows and SOME exposed brick/beams. Throw in amenities like granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, washer/dryer, and hardwood floors, not to mention LOTS of white paint - and that equals a loft? No. Also, it's cute and stylish to have a keyless entry system, but alarming to not have an override or manual key in case it fails (remember the big storm and power outages?). The most decent unit that would fit our bookcases, dining area, and be at least somewhat livable was a 2 bedroom.. for over $2,200 (including amenity fees vs. a 1 bd for just over $1700 and a studio for over $1600) excluding electric. Let's not forget a monthly $50 parking fee if you have more than the allotted cars/per unit. You'd better be single, making $80-90,000 a year (gross) and living conservatively. I happen to be married with student loans, instrument lessons, and we like to travel/treat ourselves on occasion.

Now, Stamford isn't the cheapest place to live and the rent at YT certainly isn't the highest, but out of all, you'd be better off buying a condo or going to Brooklyn and paying around $1600 for a great space with 1-2 bedrooms. Upsides: It's so close to the train. The idea of a free shuttle is delicious. Art could certainly happen there (and it has before). But, we already pay significantly less for MUCH more space in Stamford, plus a deck and recycling. It's really a gorgeous building with significant history, but I wish they would have stayed more true to the idea of "raw" space and the way the structure worked. Please choose wisely and heed the lease agreements as well as the price increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut