Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 24,724 times

Advertisements

Well one of your replies just smacked me. Slowed dn pace due to weather, history spilling over and straight forward people. Northwest corner is close to parts of Mass with many areas rich in history up the Rt. 7 corridor, just kidding rt 7 is a small two lane road and if you follow it up into MA, into VT you will see lots of beauty and history. Northwest corner has plenty of neighborhoods, peace and overall beauty, rather than community dwellings surrounded by lots of night pollution(lights)
After travelling as much as I have I am looking forward to returning to CT from CO. Why? deciduous trees, green grass, colored leaves, and humidity aka water. oh and people are as real as they get for the most part. one major thing I realized, no matter what state you are in people are the same where ever you go. Day trips would be a blast for you and the kids. Depending on traffic and time of year, Upstate NY is georgeous, VT, White Mtns of NH and the coast of Maine are all within a two to three hour drive, it just depends how far you want to go. But IT is worth it, the diversity, that is IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboysupreme View Post
The Whole Foods are in West Hartford and Glastonbury.
There is now a Whole Foods in Milford, as well as Greenwich, Darien and Westport.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:50 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There is now a Whole Foods in Milford, as well as Greenwich, Darien and Westport.
I have only gone to the one in Westport but I do not get what people like so much about this store. I think it is so overrated.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busbyjoe View Post
Curmudgeon,

I have a romaticized idea of New England (which is one of my motivations to pursue feedback) I want my children to experience seasons and old fashioned traditions that can come with them. I am drawn to the natural beauty and diverse culture and architecture. I love that history is visible. Where I grew up the latest and newest was valued and there was very little evidence of the past. I am looking forward to adventures on trains instead of freeways. I am attracted to the idea of a slowed pace due to weather ( because it is too difficult or too beautiful to ignore). I think I am a better fit with straightforward and authentic personalities even if they are considered by some to be unfriendly. New York intrigues and intimidates me. I love good food and passionate individuals.

I am not ruling out the rest of the country. So far nothing has held our interest as much as the east coast. I am looking for other options every day. New Zealand is even a thought.

We think often about where we want to end up and that for this moment in the lives of our children they need to be invested and connected to their community. I am hoping to provide oportunities for growth and openness to life while their brains are still forming.
By all means, follow your dream(s) while you and your children are young. New England is fabulous, as is the south. The mid-west may be seen as stodgy to some but it has its own charm and traditions. I've had the benefit of living all over and would encourage anyone with the means and/or opportunity to do so to do the same.

It's a huge, diverse, beautiful land we are blessed to live in. See, taste, experience and enjoy as much of it as you can while you can and give your children memories they'll never forget.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I have only gone to the one in Westport but I do not get what people like so much about this store. I think it is so overrated.
I agree. And expensive!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM

138 posts, read 420,810 times
I have mixed feelings on Whole Foods. I'm glad I have a more "upscale" option than the standard Stop & Slop. However in my opinion, the $8 organic, free-range, grass-fed, tuxedo-wearing chicken at Whole Foods doesn't taste any different to me than the chicken I get at Shop Rite or S&S.
As for cheese, I typically go across the road to Trader Joe's cause the prices are better.
The one thing I haven't tried that looks really good is Whole Foods' fresh baked flatbread pizzas. I also like their roasted cauliflower. One of these days I'll try their breads as well as I don't care for S&S's bakery dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree. And expensive!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
I have mixed feelings on Whole Foods. I'm glad I have a more "upscale" option than the standard Stop & Slop. However in my opinion, the $8 organic, free-range, grass-fed, tuxedo-wearing chicken at Whole Foods doesn't taste any different to me than the chicken I get at Shop Rite or S&S.
As for cheese, I typically go across the road to Trader Joe's cause the prices are better.
The one thing I haven't tried that looks really good is Whole Foods' fresh baked flatbread pizzas. I also like their roasted cauliflower. One of these days I'll try their breads as well as I don't care for S&S's bakery dept.
Their pizza is decent, but being a pizza snob, I've had better. I did try their buffalo chicken sandwich and some of their wraps none of which were all that good.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I love Whole Foods! I don't think of it as a grocery store, but as a huge health food store, or as a specialty store. (take for instance their mushrooms, they have an incredible array of different mushrooms unlike the typical grocery store) If a family has any kind of food allergy, foods made without the allergen can be found in abundance at Whole Foods. But as a grocery store? No, I definitely wouldn't shop at Wholefoods just for basic meat/chicken/veggies. I do like having Trader Joe's across the street from Whole Foods, for the simpler stuff, I just head over there, and the prices are cheaper.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM

108 posts, read 270,628 times
I agree with the 3! I have severe food allergies (gluten and lactose intolerant....am thinking I might even have a problem with soy ::sighs:, and I don't know what I would do without places like Whole Foods. I do hate that it is 6 bucks for 4 gluten free buns though! There should be a tax break for people with food allergies ;-) I try to keep the grocery bill down by purchasing as many things fresh as possible, but sometimes when you want things like Ketchup or bread...well you have to really search for the gluten free products. WF makes it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut