Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 AM

58 posts, read 281,206 times

Advertisements

Anyone on this board works at Coke in East Hartford? What kind of place is it?

Also, could anyone share something about Hartford city? living expenses? diversity? things to do? restaurants? safety?

Last edited by beyond5; 03-25-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM

34,687 posts, read 56,465,514 times
I don't work a Coke in East Hartford but I can give you an idea of what the area is like. East Hartford is a middle/working class suburb of Hartford located just east of the Connecticut River (Hartford is on the west side). It is home to Pratt & Whitney Aircraft which makes airplane engines at a large plant there. They also have a couple of other smaller facilities around town too. Also notable is that East Hartford is the home of UConn Husky's football team which play at the beautiful new Rentchler Field stadium. In addition to football the Rent is used for soccer and music events among other things.

Hartford itself is a small city (17 square miles, about 121,000 people) surrounded by a number of small independent towns that make up a metropolitan area of about 1 million. Hartford is a major center for insurance as well as defense companies, banking and state offices (it is the state capitol). Hartford is an old city with a lot of charm. It was home to Mark Twain for many years and his stunning home is now a museum. Downtown Hartford is typical of many smaller cities with high rise offices, restaurants and bars. There is some housing but shopping downtown is limited. Overall Hartford is a very livable area with great suburbs that are very geared toward raising a family. I feel it is a very easy city to live in or near since it does not have that massive sprawl than many cities have surrounding them. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM

58 posts, read 281,206 times
Thanks Jay! This is helpful. I was just wondering with so many manufacturing plants in the area, have there been any pollution problems?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM

34,687 posts, read 56,465,514 times
As in any urban area there is some pollution but it is not on the scale of some really heavy industrial cities. Hartford is lucky because most of the industrial development is right in or very near the city itself and the adjacent towns have limits on development. Good planning and strong zoning laws have helped make the area a very nice place to live. That said, I think the only thing bad is that taxes and the cost of living can be high. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut