U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Shoreline, CT
113 posts, read 205,663 times
Reputation: 54
Default MADISON SCHOOLS (Forbes Magazine)

FORBES has ranked Madison #5 in the US for best bang for your buck in public schools. We have one of the lowest spending per pupil yet highest scores. Money don't buy everything!

The first four are in MA.

Jeffrey Elementary has been ranked #1 in the state by state reports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
 
6 posts, read 10,522 times
Reputation: 12
So what is it that makes the Madison schools that much better? The district isn't throwing money at the school. . .is there more parental involvement both at school and at home? Does it have anything to do with parental aspirations for their kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
 
418 posts, read 864,349 times
Reputation: 137
Let's compare two towns, Madison and let's say, New Haven, for factors that might influence how much educational assistance their children might need:
Average household income in Madison: $87k
New Haven: $29k (CT: $54k)
% of adults 18-64 who speak English very well:
98% in Madison
87% in New Haven (CT: 92%)
% of adults 25 and older with bachelor's degrees or higher:
69% in Madison
31% in New Haven (CT: 38%. These are all 2000 Census statistics.)
So perhaps it's not that Madison is fantastically more efficient in educating its students, but that its children come from families with a higher level of education, fluency in English, and funds available for enrichment than do children elsewhere, so Madison doesn't have to work so hard to get them to a baseline level of abilities. But kudos to Madison for not feeling like they have to throw dollars at their educational system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
 
53 posts, read 57,751 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silli View Post
Let's compare two towns, Madison and let's say, New Haven, for factors that might influence how much educational assistance their children might need:
Average household income in Madison: $87k
New Haven: $29k (CT: $54k)
% of adults 18-64 who speak English very well:
98% in Madison
87% in New Haven (CT: 92%)
% of adults 25 and older with bachelor's degrees or higher:
69% in Madison
31% in New Haven (CT: 38%. These are all 2000 Census statistics.)
So perhaps it's not that Madison is fantastically more efficient in educating its students, but that its children come from families with a higher level of education, fluency in English, and funds available for enrichment than do children elsewhere, so Madison doesn't have to work so hard to get them to a baseline level of abilities. But kudos to Madison for not feeling like they have to throw dollars at their educational system.


Very true, but how do you explain Madison vs Darien or Wilton or New Canaan or Avon or Farmington (or pick any number of other towns in CT)?

I suspect it is more than just family issues. By the same token, these kinds of "best" lists are usually, if not always, highly subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 AM
 
542 posts, read 1,169,952 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Very true, but how do you explain Madison vs Darien or Wilton or New Canaan or Avon or Farmington (or pick any number of other towns in CT)?

I suspect it is more than just family issues. By the same token, these kinds of "best" lists are usually, if not always, highly subjective.
Forbes was recognizing "bang for the buck" and even though you get slightly higher test scores (at least SATs) in the towns you mention, you also pay more to live in those towns than in Madison. Although the test score improvements are not proportional to the premium that people pay to live in some of those towns. In Fairfield County, that premium is usually explained by property values (commuting distance to NYC) rather than just the school system.

With regard to the comparison to New Haven, that horse has been beaten to death by the many critics of New Haven's schools. New Haven has a high per-student cost and the educational results are pretty poor. Educational outcomes have so much to do with the student culture, home environment, and expectations (from parents, peers, teachers, pop culture). Those critical factors couldn't be more different when you compare Madison to New Haven -- and it would politically difficult for a troubled city system to apply education money towards changing those social factors.

Last edited by nico7; 04-10-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Shoreline, CT
113 posts, read 205,663 times
Reputation: 54
Well comparing NEW HAVEN! Gee maybe the parents are there and they care. Throwing money out the window shows it does not work. 60% of incoming freshman graduate in New Haven. Now that is spending money wisely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
4,146 posts, read 4,190,010 times
Reputation: 3632
It's a very simple formula.

Predominantly good parents = good schools.
Predominantly bad parents = bad schools.

There's no amount of money, or no administrators or teachers that you can hire, that will change this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
11,770 posts, read 12,047,677 times
Reputation: 3218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Predominantly good parents = good schools.
Predominantly bad parents = bad schools.
Post of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,708 times
Reputation: 18
My friend is a principal at one of the poorest high schools districts in CT (Hartford, New Haven, New Britain, Hartford, Bridgeport - take your pick for a guess). He has over 40 kids in daycare. Mothers whom are 14 and their mother now a grandmother under 30. Mothers/fathers selling 14 year old for crack. This is what they deal with. If you question call up and find out.

In capitalism all is same and bad shall fall. In communism all is equal and bring poor results up and good down to equalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,590,044 times
Reputation: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbo80 View Post
In capitalism all is same and bad shall fall. In communism all is equal and bring poor results up and good down to equalize.
In a perfect world, that might be true. But human nature being what it is - Communism has NEVER made it equal for everyone. Ask the russians who were in breadlines while a motorcade with the "elite" passed by.

No thanks. I'd rather have the opportunity and responsibility to provide for myself and my family. THAT's true equality and the beauty of America. The same opportunity exists for you and for me. If you choose to not take advantage of it, that's not my fault or problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top