U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM

23 posts, read 48,459 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We will be relocating to the Simsbury/Avon area in a few months. I have a few questions and appreciate all replies!

What is the best hospital to use? (often this is directly linked to the selection of the doctor)

Where is the best medical care located in the opinion of most people?

Does anyone know of any good Naturopathic doctors--even if at a distance?

Anyone know a veterinarian practice that is top notch? I have a shepherd that won't let anyone touch him without him being pretty knocked out. I need really caring people for him.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 AM

11,029 posts, read 13,366,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewatergal View Post
Hello,
We will be relocating to the Simsbury/Avon area in a few months. I have a few questions and appreciate all replies!

What is the best hospital to use? (often this is directly linked to the selection of the doctor)

Anyone know a veterinarian practice that is top notch? I have a shepherd that won't let anyone touch him without him being pretty knocked out. I need really caring people for him.

Thanks!
There really isn't a full-fledged hospital in either of those towns. Most people I know from those towns would go into Hartford to either Hartford Hospital or St. Francis Hospital. There is, however, a walk-in medical center in Avon. It's near the intersection of Routes 44 and 10 (southeastern quadrant). There is another walk-in medical center in Granby center on Route 20. For typical routine doctor visits, dentists, optometrists, etc., there are numerous places all over these towns. There should be no problem finding quality healthcare services.

As for veterinarians, I would stay away from Salmon Brook vet in Granby. My family once left their two dogs there overnight this past summer, and when they got back one of the dogs was dead. The vet claimed it was due to "unknown causes."

Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM

834 posts, read 1,941,769 times
I love Avon Veterinary Clinic on main st. Dr. Morganti and Dr. Feibel are truly wonderful and I'm pretty picky with my pets. The staff is so friendly. A lot of times, the vets themselves are great but the staff sucks or vise versa. Here, both are great and very fairly priced IMO.

For a basic doctor, I go to Hartford Medical Group right in Simsbury but maybe 1 mile north of the Avon town center.
As for a hospital or ER I'm pretty sure that Uconn Health Center in Farmington is the closest.

UConn Health Center Farmington Medical Office Locations

Welcome to the area! I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM

24,576 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewatergal View Post
Hello,

Thanks!
Without a doubt Hartford Hospital or St. Francis. Jay

Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 13,773 times
Default Moving to Avon, West Hartford, or Simsbury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston4 View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are moving from Boston to CT in June. We are looking at houses in Avon, Simsbury and Farmington. I have found some information on line but am hoping for more from all of you. We live in a suburb outside of Boston (about 20 minutes from downtown). All three towns seem to have excellent schools. Can anyone give me advice on what it is like to live in any of them? What there is to do? How is traffic? We are looking in the Devonwood area of Farmington. The other houses in the other towns is more all over the map. Thank you.
We are still planning to move to Avon/West Hartford Simsbury as well, but coming from the Phoenix AZ area.
We looked for a week in the fall, and haven't since, although hubby has been working since Nov., 2010. 1 Where will you commute to for work? That seems to make a difference p.s. I see this was posted in April 2010....Wonder where boston4 ended up?

Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 AM

9 posts, read 10,712 times
Bumping up an old thread, but had a question. Work had relocated me a few years back from southern CT down to VA and now potentially moving me back to CT - this time in Farmington Valley area.

The job itself would be in Plainville and doing some google searches pointed me to these same 3 towns. My question was really around actual commute time from Simsbury to Plainville? It seems like it could be much further than the others but also looks to have the best schools (altho all 3 seem very good).

Price range would be < 600K (looking at the property taxes gives me some bad flashbacks, i had almost forgotten how bad they are).

Would be me, the wife, 2 kids (4&7) and the 2 dogs.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:39 AM

3,535 posts, read 2,692,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad2va View Post
Bumping up an old thread, but had a question. Work had relocated me a few years back from southern CT down to VA and now potentially moving me back to CT - this time in Farmington Valley area.

The job itself would be in Plainville and doing some google searches pointed me to these same 3 towns. My question was really around actual commute time from Simsbury to Plainville? It seems like it could be much further than the others but also looks to have the best schools (altho all 3 seem very good).

Price range would be < 600K (looking at the property taxes gives me some bad flashbacks, i had almost forgotten how bad they are).

Would be me, the wife, 2 kids (4&7) and the 2 dogs.
IMO if your job will be in Plainville I would avoid any towns north of that. This is mostly due to traffic which can be a combination of i-84 RT 20 RT 10 Rt 4 depending on where you're starting from and going to. All those routes are jacked up during rush hour especially the intersection of RT 4 & RT 10 in Farmington by Miss Porters school.

If you are familiar with CT I would look west, south, and east of Plainville.
Some towns that may work, Plainville, Southington, Chesire, Wolcott, Berlin, Rocky Hill, Cromwell.

Plainville and Wolcott I believe are more blue collar type towns, the other 5 would be considered middle class - upper middle class. My personal choice would be Southington.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:45 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,420,064 times
Southington would work.

You could get a very nice in that price range. Travel would be easy as well.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 AM

24,576 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
IMO if your job will be in Plainville I would avoid any towns north of that. This is mostly due to traffic which can be a combination of i-84 RT 20 RT 10 Rt 4 depending on where you're starting from and going to. All those routes are jacked up during rush hour especially the intersection of RT 4 & RT 10 in Farmington by Miss Porters school.

If you are familiar with CT I would look west, south, and east of Plainville.
Some towns that may work, Plainville, Southington, Chesire, Wolcott, Berlin, Rocky Hill, Cromwell.

Plainville and Wolcott I believe are more blue collar type towns, the other 5 would be considered middle class - upper middle class. My personal choice would be Southington.
I don't know that I agree with you. The OP is not heading into Hartford and would only hit a bit of traffic crossing Route 4 in Farmington but depending on where they live and where they work, that would be the worst of it and it shouldn't be too bad. They likely would not have to go near I-84 but even if they did they would be commuting in the opposite direction of traffic so it should not be too much of a problem. They would also not go near Route 20 for a commute unless they moved to North Granby which is kind of out of their way.

Still Cheshire, Berlin and Southington might be good choices as well but in their price range I would not recommend Plainville or Wolcott. Rocky Hill and Cromwell are good too. Jay

Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,173,449 times
From Simsbury, you would take all back roads to Plainville - you would go down Route 177 (Lawton Street in Simsbury, Lovely Street in Avon and Plainville Avenue in Farmington). However, while there is not a huge amount of traffic, you will hit lights and stop signs, so it can take a good 30-40 minutes or more.

The only way you would not go this route from Simsbury s if you lived right near 44 on the eastern side of town past Hopmeadow Street. Then, you would take 44 to 10 into Farmington. From there, you could continue down Route 10 into Plainville or take 4 to 84 West. However, the Route 4/Route 10 exchange can get extremely busy during rush hour, so you could be adding 10-20 minutes to your commute time just to get through that light.

the west side of Farmington/Unionville would give you a very short commute to Plainville, as would western Avon (homes in Buckingham or along Northington Ridge). Also, from eastern Farmington, you would take Route 10 into Plainville, as you could from eastern Avon.

If commute is important to you, look at Farmington, West Hartford or the western part of Avon. Farmington and Avon also give you lower property taxes. WH, Farmington and western Avon are also more likely to have public water, sewers and natural gas, or two of the three. If you don't mind a longer commute, oil heat, well & septic and higher property taxes, go for Simsbury.

That said, like Massachusetts, Connecticut has some of the best public schools in the country, so the differences between Avon, Farmington, Simsbury and West Hartford in terms of academics more amounts to taste - WH has the biggest school system and Avon the smallest. Avon typically has the highest test scores in terms of the SAT and has the second highest pass rate for the AP test in the entire state. However, Avon also offers fewer AP classes than West Hartford (Hall & Conard) and Simsbury. Simsbury is the least diverse school system, while WH is the most diverse. However, because these towns are generally very popular for people that relocate, you'll also find that all the towns are generally pretty accepting of newcomers. (Not saying everything will be rosy for your kids, but speaking in general)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or