U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,173,449 times

Advertisements

oh, and welcome back to Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 10,712 times
Hi all - thanks for the advice, still in talks about the role, not 100% sure I'll take it but you certainly opened up some more possibilities on locations if I decide to!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM

29 posts, read 17,806 times
I was going to chime in with advice but there's nothing to add to newjeff's excellent post.

I'll just say that the Farmington valley is a great place to raise a family. You really can't go wrong. Best of luck in your negotiations.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad2va View Post
Hi all - thanks for the advice, still in talks about the role, not 100% sure I'll take it but you certainly opened up some more possibilities on locations if I decide to!
good luck to you, and please let us know if you take the job or decide against it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 PM

56 posts, read 45,584 times
I lived in Avon for 4 years, and I have to say it was not a good place for us. But it depends what type of person you are. I found most people there to be snooty, overly concerned about name brands of their children's clothing, and judgemental about what kind of car you drove. I am generally a friendly person, I don't care much about money and "stuff." We moved there for the schools but moved out before my oldest started kindergarten. I tried to find "my kind of people," but after 4 years of looking we decided it was not a good fit for us. Good luck on your search. I personally found people from simsbury to be a little bit more down to earth. But not by much.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM

24,576 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritamiller9 View Post
I lived in Avon for 4 years, and I have to say it was not a good place for us. But it depends what type of person you are. I found most people there to be snooty, overly concerned about name brands of their children's clothing, and judgemental about what kind of car you drove. I am generally a friendly person, I don't care much about money and "stuff." We moved there for the schools but moved out before my oldest started kindergarten. I tried to find "my kind of people," but after 4 years of looking we decided it was not a good fit for us. Good luck on your search. I personally found people from simsbury to be a little bit more down to earth. But not by much.
You are talking about two of the most affluent suburbs of Hartford so of course you are going to find people like this. Not sure what you expected or why you expected anything different. It sounds like you should have moved to a more economically diverse community like West Hartford, Canton, Granby, Burlington, Southington or even Farmington. Jay

Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are talking about two of the most affluent suburbs of Hartford so of course you are going to find people like this. Not sure what you expected or why you expected anything different. It sounds like you should have moved to a more economically diverse community like West Hartford, Canton, Granby, Burlington, Southington or even Farmington. Jay
You are absolutely right. I knew the reputation, but we have lived in other areas of the country that are "affluent," but we never encountered more snotty people in our lives than when we lived in Avon. Avon people were very judgemental, uptight, and only befriended you if you were of some "use" to them. Maybe it's a New England thing. Or maybe we just had a freak ****ty experience. Whichever it was, I'm very glad we left.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:44 PM

503 posts, read 355,500 times
Quote:
This response saddens me. Perhaps you're right and the wealth of the area automatically equals snooty & judgemental and she was a fool to think she could find any exceptions. Or you're wrong and unfairly maligning a huge swath of people in Avon & Simsbury. Either case is lamentable.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I lived in Avon for 5 1/2 years and never felt judged by what I drove or what my daughter wore to school. She had a ton of friends in town - from kids that lived in smaller condos or older ranch homes to kids that lived in multi-million dollar mansions. Because she was pretty active, I never spent a lot of money on her clothing, either - why spend $50 or more for a pair of pants or a sweater she's going to outgrow in a year, if she doesn't put holes in them first? The $15 pants or sweater from Kohl's or Target work just as well.

I also never felt out of place with my (at best) middle of the road cars, either.

To be honest, when we moved to a town with more economic diversity in East Lyme, it seems like there was a lot more in the way of judgmental kids and parents - the blue collar kids & parents had to keep up with the middle class kids, and the middle class kids and parents had to keep up with the upper middle class and wealthy ones. So, it seemed like every kid in town had a TV in their bedroom hooked up to an XBox or Playstation. My daughter's friends in Avon still don't have TVs in their bedrooms. If they have an XBox or PS, it's hooked up to a TV in the family room or basement.

In Avon, parents seemed to trust other parents. In East Lyme, if my daughter wanted to visit a friend from school, the parents would insist on meeting with my wife and me first before their child could "hang out" or have a play date with their child - I would assume to judge if we were good people/parents and/or if we drove the right kind of car. Back in Avon, if my daughter wanted to visit another child, it just happened, and I could trust that either the child's parents would drive her home afterwards, or I would be able to pick her up - no pre-playdate interview needed.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I lived in Avon for 5 1/2 years and never felt judged by what I drove or what my daughter wore to school. She had a ton of friends in town - from kids that lived in smaller condos or older ranch homes to kids that lived in multi-million dollar mansions. Because she was pretty active, I never spent a lot of money on her clothing, either - why spend $50 or more for a pair of pants or a sweater she's going to outgrow in a year, if she doesn't put holes in them first? The $15 pants or sweater from Kohl's or Target work just as well.

I also never felt out of place with my (at best) middle of the road cars, either.

To be honest, when we moved to a town with more economic diversity in East Lyme, it seems like there was a lot more in the way of judgmental kids and parents - the blue collar kids & parents had to keep up with the middle class kids, and the middle class kids and parents had to keep up with the upper middle class and wealthy ones. So, it seemed like every kid in town had a TV in their bedroom hooked up to an XBox or Playstation. My daughter's friends in Avon still don't have TVs in their bedrooms. If they have an XBox or PS, it's hooked up to a TV in the family room or basement.

In Avon, parents seemed to trust other parents. In East Lyme, if my daughter wanted to visit a friend from school, the parents would insist on meeting with my wife and me first before their child could "hang out" or have a play date with their child - I would assume to judge if we were good people/parents and/or if we drove the right kind of car. Back in Avon, if my daughter wanted to visit another child, it just happened, and I could trust that either the child's parents would drive her home afterwards, or I would be able to pick her up - no pre-playdate interview needed.

You had a completely different experience than I did. This saddens me because this was the type of environment I was hoping for when we moved to Avon. Just felt like we tried and tried, met people in different circles, tried different churches, tried several different mom and kid playgroups, etc.. Maybe it was just not meant to be for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or