U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 AM

3 posts, read 11,968 times
Default avon, simsbury or farmington?

Hi,
My husband and I are moving from Boston to CT in June. We are looking at houses in Avon, Simsbury and Farmington. I have found some information on line but am hoping for more from all of you. We live in a suburb outside of Boston (about 20 minutes from downtown). All three towns seem to have excellent schools. Can anyone give me advice on what it is like to live in any of them? What there is to do? How is traffic? We are looking in the Devonwood area of Farmington. The other houses in the other towns is more all over the map. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,239,117 times
Brie, Pecorino Romano, Cheddar.

All good cheeses, each one with it's own character. That's about the best way I can describe the 3 towns.

Farmington is more historic and a little heavier on traffic.

Avon more money and corporate families. (In fact IMHO Devonwood fits better in Avon then Farmington.)

Simsbury is a bit more remote with a little less "money" factor then Avon but still a very nice town.

I often refer to Devonwood as the corporate ghetto. Seems like every executive who gets relocated to the area ends up there. It's very nice, so don't misunderstand the ghetto thing...it's more of a play on words.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 AM

2,599 posts, read 5,648,673 times
As long as you aren't looking for the kind of nightlife and things to do that Boston has to offer, then you'll be okay. Their are plenty of parks to visit in the warm months, museums all around. Are you looking for nightlife? You would have to get that in West Hartford or Hartford itself, those would be closest to you. But still it's nothing like Boston.

I agree with JV on the towns. Simsbury doesn't have direct highway access which I think helps the housing to be cheaper then, as it makes for a longer commute. Farmington has traffic issues which can be pretty bad. If it was me, I would pick Avon, I grew up around the area and Avon is very nice, all the people I have met are friendly as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,968 times
Thanks for the responses. I really loved the play on words. Very funny Are you a foodie? We are starting the house hunt this weekend. We are hoping to spend more time in Avon and Farmington to determine which one is best.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,812,102 times
Personally I think Simsbury is the best of these - it's further away from the highways which many people have a problem with, but it's a gorgeous town. Plenty of open space that includes some fantastic public parks (Talcott Mountain - a real treat to visit in the fall), excellent schools and it's just a great place. They do have a downtown area which is their own version of Main Street, there's a ton of restaurants and stores, really nice place. There's plenty of nightlife and there's plenty of shopping further down on Route 44 if you can't find what you want there.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 55,053 times
Haven't lived in any, but when we looked at all three Simsbury stood out (in the negative) for generally having much higher property taxes than the other two. YMMV.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 783,853 times
watch out for terrible traffic issues in Farmington around route 4. Really, you could sit for 20 minutes at rush hour trying to get through the bottleneck there. Simsbury has some of the highest school scores in the state, largely because there aren't poor areas in it. Farmington has Unionville, which is an area of very modest homes. Avon and Simsbury are more uniformly upscale. If music education is important to your family, Farmington schools start strings in 2nd grade, band instrument in 4th. I don't think any other district starts instruments until 4th. Avon has disadvantage of route 44 over Avon mountain to get to Hartford - dangerous road, although they're widening it currently. Depending upon where you need to commute to, I'd go with Simsbury.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:18 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,239,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston4 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I really loved the play on words. Very funny Are you a foodie? We are starting the house hunt this weekend. We are hoping to spend more time in Avon and Farmington to determine which one is best.
NP. I do cook, yes.

Avon seems to have newer housing/and shopping and is more central to getting around.

But keep in mind depending on where you are, you'll cross between Avon and Simsbury and not even realize it. They have areas where they kind of blend and are one in the same such as RT167 (West Avon Road?)

Good luck.

Oh and as for the "horrible" traffic on RT44 and RT4, nothing - NOTHING like Boston. RT4 can get a bit heavier, but the average delays are 5-10 minutes, not 20 IMO. The long waits are when there is an incident and/or due to the current bridge contruction which will be ending soon.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 AM

8 posts, read 22,142 times
Have you thought about West Hartford at all? Good schools, plus the town has a lot to offer (parks, playgrounds, town center, excellent library...). I currently live in Avon. I like it, but we are in the process of moving to West Hartford. I grew up in Southern Connecticut and West Hartford is most similar to my childhood experience. I like the idea of neighborhoods with sidewalks. Avon has neighborhoods, but I never really see anyone out and walking around.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM

28 posts, read 52,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
NP. I do cook, yes.

Avon seems to have newer housing/and shopping and is more central to getting around.

But keep in mind depending on where you are, you'll cross between Avon and Simsbury and not even realize it. They have areas where they kind of blend and are one in the same such as RT167 (West Avon Road?)

Good luck.

Oh and as for the "horrible" traffic on RT44 and RT4, nothing - NOTHING like Boston. RT4 can get a bit heavier, but the average delays are 5-10 minutes, not 20 IMO. The long waits are when there is an incident and/or due to the current bridge contruction which will be ending soon.
I've worked in Simsbury the last 2 and a half years and I agree that Avon and Simsbury are basically interchangeable.

I worked up in Boston for a few years and the only times I thought the traffic was ridiculous was when I was leaving the city. I didn't have too many issues coming into Boston. There was nothing worse than trying to leave Boston after work on a Friday especially if it was, god forbid, a holiday weekend.

Personally I would choose Farmington just for easy access of highways. I don't want to drive 20-25 minutes just to get to a highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut