U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 AM

67 posts, read 154,258 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the summer/winter commute time between Simsbury and Springfield? We will have some flexibility as to when to commute. In other words, if it's better if you leave before ___ in the morning and return after ___ in the evening, can you tell me that as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,845,068 times
I wouldnt' make that commute it will be about 45 minutes or so.
Why not look into towns closer to the highway such as East Granby, Windsor or Suffield...much shorter commutes from those towns, but just as nice towns..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 AM

24,593 posts, read 40,159,475 times
Simsbury is about 25 miles from Springfield so depending on where in town you live and where in Springfield you work it could take as long as 45 minutes. I am not sure what times are best to leave but would think the earlier the better. The backroads you take to get to Route 20 and I-91 are busy but move. The major slow down is on I-91 near the south End Bridge over the Connecticut river. I-91 drops a lane in this area which causes some backups. Jay

Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM

67 posts, read 154,258 times
JayCT, is that 45min in winter or during better weather? In DC, my husband's commute was often 90 min so 45min isn't horrible....relative. Using houses we like from realtor.com, Mapquest is giving us anywhere from 25-35 minutes....I'm thinking that's the best case scenario and would like to know the realistic, snow falling scenario. Everyone online has been telling us to look at Longmeadow since the job is in Springfield, but the schools in Simsbury are nationally ranked. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you might have.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:11 PM

184 posts, read 710,744 times
The commute from Simsbury will likely take a solid forty-five minutes "door to door", however, there are many people who live in Simsbury, Avon and other Farmington Valley towns and commute to MassMutual and many Springfield area residents who make the reverse commute to The Hartford insurance company in Simsbury...in the winter a snowy day will of course add to the commuting time, but many employers allow people to work from home on those days if there job function supports that type of flexibility...

Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 PM

24,593 posts, read 40,159,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaMacDowell View Post
JayCT, is that 45min in winter or during better weather? In DC, my husband's commute was often 90 min so 45min isn't horrible....relative. Using houses we like from realtor.com, Mapquest is giving us anywhere from 25-35 minutes....I'm thinking that's the best case scenario and would like to know the realistic, snow falling scenario. Everyone online has been telling us to look at Longmeadow since the job is in Springfield, but the schools in Simsbury are nationally ranked. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you might have.
It does depend on how much snow there is and how on top of it the state is in keeping the roads clean. It could be anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes more to the commute. As ME43 indicated most employers are flexible and encourage employees to work from home in inclement weather. Jay

Old 04-17-2010, 01:10 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,265,843 times
Go with Longmeadow. Has good schools, nice community. Simsbury has no major highways anywhere near it, which is why it costs less - it's far from everything. In addition, since the roads to it are all two lane roads (one lane each direction), it would be a very difficult trip in snow. I have lived in the Springfield/Hartford area for over 12 years. Take advantage of the improvement in the quality of your family's life by reducing your husband's commute.

You might also want to look at Suffield. It is just south of the border and I think it has had some upscale home development. My friend teaches in the high school there. It's a mix of kids from upscale homes and kids from poorer farming households. Tight school budget there, though that's the case everywhere now.

Remember, your child doesn't have to go to the school district with the highest scores overall to do well. In fact, they may get into a better college from the less competitive high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut