U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 AM

16 posts, read 72,773 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are Yale postdocs. We have a 2.5 yo son. We are looking for a two+ bedroom appartment to rent in Branford, CT. There is just very few posts on craiglist, and those are mostly form Montoya appartment complex. I have two questions :
1. Could anyone please recommend a realtor who could help us with finding an appartment for rent in Branford?
2. Are there "bad neighborhoods" in Branford? Shoul we avoid some places?
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:36 PM

723 posts, read 1,785,167 times
If I were looking for an apartment in Branford, I would not waste time/money with a realtor. The best way to find a place is to get in a car and drive around the areas you're interested in. Look for rental signs and phone numbers.

There are lots of nice areas in Branford, but not all of them have rentals. The places I would look first would be around the green, Stony Creek, and the neighborhoods on Route 146 between Lenny's and Pine Orchard -- this will make more sense if you drive down 146.

There are no "bad neighborhoods" in Branford, but there are some dumpy apartment/condo complexes and a trailer park. Some places are right up on the train tracks, so watch for that.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot. We tried to dirve around Branford and look for rental signs, but did not see much. We were probably looking in wrong places, though. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,121,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
If I were looking for an apartment in Branford, I would not waste time/money with a realtor. The best way to find a place is to get in a car and drive around the areas you're interested in. Look for rental signs and phone numbers.
No, many landlords do not advertise and only work with realtors because the realtor will do the prescreen and prequalify paperwork.

Raveis.com is an excellent site for rentals.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 AM

723 posts, read 1,785,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
No, many landlords do not advertise and only work with realtors because the realtor will do the prescreen and prequalify paperwork.

Raveis.com is an excellent site for rentals.
In that case, I stand corrected. It seems that several of my friends have found apartments in Branford by word of mouth, or because someone was looking for a roommate.

If working with a realtor is a productive approach, then by all means go for it.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 AM

We would love to find it without realtor, but so far with no luck. Perhaps the problem is that we are looking too much in advance - we need an appartment from the end of June. It is a problem with realtors too - they mostly have properties available immediately. I guess we will keep trying both ways. Thanks a lot to everyone who replied! Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 AM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
If you are looking for a place the end of June, you are a bit too early. It is good for you to first get an idea of what you can get for your money and where you would most like to live. I would check craigslist.com if you have not already done so. There are usually some listings there. Usually landlords start rentals at the beginning of the month, so you may need to pay for the entire month of June depending on when you need to move in. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM

179 posts, read 349,217 times
Keep checking craigs list. We are currently living in the Branford Hills apartment complex. Not sure if you're looking for a complex for a few years, or more of a house situation longer term. I can tell you that we looked at Montoya and the rental office people were rude and unprofessional, I've heard the condos are a fortune to heat, and I've noticed that fairly often the police blotter (weekly listing of police calls) has listed incidents/arrests at Montoya. Branford Hills isn't perfect, but we've been very happy here with our 5 yr old. Very quiet, lots of people who are associated with Yale. Apartments have big bedrooms, nice layout, small kitchen. Unrenovated 2 bedroom with washer and dryer in the unit is $1350 including heat and hot water. Renovated units have granite in the kitchen and hardwood floors, unreno usually older cabinets/countertops/carpet, but fine. I've also noticed some decent condo complexes around. Maybe you could find an individual owner renting. The Greens, near us, has a great pool. (We finally found a house and are moving out at the end of May, so that's at least one 2 bedroom available!) Good luck with your search.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks a lot for the advise! We did go see Montoya and were not really satisfied. The guy in the office was a bit strange. We just need an appartment for a few years, but we want it to be clean and safe. I actually tried to call Branford Hills appartments, but had no reply. I guess I'll try again! Thank you.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:19 PM

16 posts, read 6,545 times
Hi Krdpm,

i am new to this forum and just posted a thread reg. what you had suggested.
Moving to Branford / East Haven

Could you please tell me how i can check for rental availability in "The greens".
We are looking for good 2bhk apartments or condos in east haven/branford with a play zone preferably and rent around 1400$ or under.

could you please suggest any.
Thanks a ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut