U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 PM

24,603 posts, read 40,168,569 times

Advertisements

Well I came onto the boards tonight and noticed that I was reaching a milestone. With this post, I will have posted a total of 6,000 posts. I know there are others with more but I thought I would just mention it since it is kind of a milestone. I also want to thank everyone who posts here regularly. It is a great forum and I think we have some of the best people here. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM

15,742 posts, read 22,008,066 times
Jay that is a milestone. The boards wouldn't be the same without you - I always try to rep you but usually have to "spread it around". You certainly are a fair moderator, even when things tend to get out of hand. It must be like having another set of children sometimes.

Congrats and thanks for sharing with us your knowledge of Connecticut.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM

5,536 posts, read 8,194,880 times
You're a great contributor here, Jay. Here's to 6000 more.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 25,768 times
Smile Congrats!!

Jay-
Wow, that is impressive! I have to say I agree with the other posters here and in other boards... you are a fair moderator and always a great source of info!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 AM

502 posts, read 1,175,907 times
Congratulations Jay. I think you're a much nicer moderator than some other place I used to post! Plus you actually participate, and your posts are helpful. Cheers!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,846,433 times
Congrats Jay! You do a great job

Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 AM

24,603 posts, read 40,168,569 times
Thank you for the compliments. I do appreciate them. I try not to force my opinions on people and to be fair and let others speak their minds, but it is hard to know where to draw the line. I hope I am being fair and if you feel I am not please send me a DM and I will try to explain.

That said I will share an interesting story that gave me a lot of satisfaction. Not long ago we had a poster here who was asking questions about the Hartford area because of a job he was interviewing for here. I and others answered the questions and he seemed generally appreciative. A week or so later my office interviewed a person for a new job and I was asked to join them for lunch. At lunch the person talked about many of the things that were said on this board. It turned out he was the person that was asking the questions. I told him who I was and he told me how grateful he was to the information he received here. This was very satisfying to me. He did get the job and has moved to the area and is very happy. He still asks me questions about the area but I don't think he is posting here anymore.

Another time there was a discussion about an area I knew and I was able to share some information I had. I received a DM from a person that was interested in the area. She told me about a house she and her husband were interested in buying. I knoew the house and told her all about its history. She too was very appreciative. Just the other day I was driving by and saw her and her husband outside working on the place. I wanted to stop but did not have time and did not want to bother them since they were working so hard. I was happy though to know that I did help them even if it was in a small way.

These two stories give you an idea why I do this. I do not get paid any money to be a Moderator but do get satisfaction from it. Others here should too. Thanks to everyone who helps. Jay

Old 04-17-2010, 08:16 AM

16,226 posts, read 25,443,476 times
You are definitely a fabulous moderator, Jay, and VERY fair. Wrists get slapped for very silly things on the Pet Forum (of all places, that's the funniest place to get infractioins), but you've been so extremely tolerant.

And, obviously, a FABULOUS source of information.

Kudos to you on a job very well done.

* raises her coffee mug to 6000 more posts from Jay! *

Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,205,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thank you for the compliments. I do appreciate them. I try not to force my opinions on people and to be fair and let others speak their minds, but it is hard to know where to draw the line. I hope I am being fair and if you feel I am not please send me a DM and I will try to explain.

That said I will share an interesting story that gave me a lot of satisfaction. Not long ago we had a poster here who was asking questions about the Hartford area because of a job he was interviewing for here. I and others answered the questions and he seemed generally appreciative. A week or so later my office interviewed a person for a new job and I was asked to join them for lunch. At lunch the person talked about many of the things that were said on this board. It turned out he was the person that was asking the questions. I told him who I was and he told me how grateful he was to the information he received here. This was very satisfying to me. He did get the job and has moved to the area and is very happy. He still asks me questions about the area but I don't think he is posting here anymore.

Another time there was a discussion about an area I knew and I was able to share some information I had. I received a DM from a person that was interested in the area. She told me about a house she and her husband were interested in buying. I knoew the house and told her all about its history. She too was very appreciative. Just the other day I was driving by and saw her and her husband outside working on the place. I wanted to stop but did not have time and did not want to bother them since they were working so hard. I was happy though to know that I did help them even if it was in a small way.

These two stories give you an idea why I do this. I do not get paid any money to be a Moderator but do get satisfaction from it. Others here should too. Thanks to everyone who helps. Jay
Haha, that's awesome. I too have those "dejavu" moments when I'm in a home and they just moved to the area and start talking about the research they did etc. Makes me sit and wonder if they were a poster on this board.

I agree that you do a good job here Jay. It's much appreciated. Boy how time flys.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 PM

8,834 posts, read 14,245,795 times
My original reason for going on the boards was using this board to learn about my (at the time) approaching temporary situation in the Hartford area. I've since expanded to some other boards on this forum (and admittedly have posted a bit less in recent weeks all around), but I still honestly think you are the fairest, most open moderator on the C-D forums. You'd be amazed at the minor things I've had deleted on say the Westchester or NYC forums that would be allowed to be said here.

Congrats and keep the posts coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut