U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 08:59 PM

834 posts, read 1,942,621 times

Advertisements

Whenever I'm going to the feed store in Canton, I pass this cute store on the right side of 44 by the 202 junction. It's abandoned and doesn't show any signs of being rejuvenated. What kind of store was this? It has a look like it was an antique store but I can't tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 PM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
Just did a Google search and found out it was a flea market. Apparently it's been closed for five years.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Thank you! I googled and couldn't find anything. It must have been a small flea market because the lot is not that big and the cobweb building itself is pretty small. It's a shame. And it looks like it's been closed waaaay longer than 5 years! I would have thought 25.

eta: I just searched again and I'm seeing something about a case of arson to the Cob Web but it's not pulling up when I click on it. Arson would make sense as the building does look pretty bad. It's a shame because it's such a cute place.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,203,970 times
What they call a fleamarket in the Southeast we call an Antique shop here.

It was a doodad shop with some antiques and unique things. Think of an old estate clearout or something like that with 50's coke bottles, maybe an old radio etc etc.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM

lol, that makes sense. When I think of fleamarket, I think of a sea of tables half inside, half outside. This place has that antique store look and there are so many great shops in Canton. I really hope somebody shows the place some TLC in the future. I hate to a see a building on a main drag sit so neglected.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,456 times
I'm a little late here but I used to go to the Cob Web a lot back in the late 70's to the early 90's. It was an outdoor flea market with an antique shop. The whole (smallish) field around the building would be lined up with dealer tables just like any other fleamarket. There were actually two field areas the main one was to the left of the shop (left if you're looking at the front of the shop, driving by on 44 you are seeing the back), to the right there was a slightly hidden much smaller "field" with even more dealer tables. For the first 10 years I went it was always packed with people and since there was little parking cars would always line all the way up the street (cemetery rd?). By the late 80's and definitely the early 90's the best days were behind with each year less dealers/less people. I last went around 1999 and it was quite sad by then. The Cob Web died a slow painful death over its last 15 years.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times
Just discovered these posts. My father built the Cob Web Antique, Trifles and treasure Shoppe and Flea Market for my mother in 1964. It was built to be a seasonal Antique and trifles and treasure shop, no running water, full basement and oil furnace. No installation, a barn really. It was open Saturday and Sunday and when the spirit moved her. Open may through Oct. we had almost 60, 12 X 12 spots, 17$ /spot. Closed in the winter because uninsulated. I sold it for my parents 6 years ago and today(dec.2011) it is for sale again. It is NOT a drive-by for sure and it is a sad shape but it is a diamond in the rough.........I would buy it back but I would need a partner to BRING THE COB WEB BACK to town. PS My mom Dolly is alive and well less then a mile away.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
hey i just read about the cob web and was wondering if anyone knew what price was being asked for the old cob web building/property and how much property comes with the purchase ? i am intersted in returning back to what it was back in the day, antiques are picking up again big time, so i think it would be a hit .. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or