U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,822,935 times
Reputation: 5101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just because a school is not well-known and only serves a regional population doesn't mean it's any less valuable than a monstrous school like UCONN (mostly known nationwide for NCAA). Also - the vast majority of UCONN students are regional as close to 70% of students are from CT. I'd be willing to guess that most of the other 30% are from MA, NY, RI and NJ.
Have to disagree...

National reputation is important in many segments of the professional job market. My computer science degree from the University of Texas (which has a top 5 program) is more valued in industry than one from SCSU. If I am hiring folks to work in my business-- which I have often done in the past-- an applicant from a more reputable, famous school scores additional points because they likely had a richer, more comprehensive and rigorous academic experience.

You can't simply say that "it's all the same" and reputation is simply subjective.

Not to mention (speaking of value), contributions to research. UCONN is a research oriented institution making contributions to the professional knowledge base in diverse areas like chemistry, agriculture, engineering, English and the arts.

Research institutions like UCONN (and Texas) attract top name professors, and provide opportunities that aren't available at colleges like Central or Eastern that focus on educating undergrads. That is not at all to say that you can't get a good education at these schools or that the quality of teaching is poor.

It's partly about what you value in the university. If its just about getting a degree and a job, the regional state U's might be fine. A Yale degree is worth the price.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,743 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Reputation: 5279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You can't simply say that "it's all the same" and reputation is simply subjective.
Well, it's all the same. Reputation is simply subjective.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A Yale degree is worth the price.....
Interesting you say this because many of the professors at some of the state universities (and at least one local community college) instruct the same courses at Yale.

Some of the programs at our four state universities are among the top in the nation. It's unfortunate that some employers (like yourself) hire based on institution. In my experience (I'm also in IT) this isn't the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,822,935 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Well, it's all the same. Reputation is simply subjective
So Yale is equivalent to Manchester Community College? Sorry, Kid. Not with you on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Interesting you say this because many of the professors at some of the state universities (and at least one local community college) instruct the same courses at Yale.
Every university hires adjuncts and they tend to come from the same pool. These aren't the people who are doing the cutting edge research in which you can participate in name-brand institutions. These aren't the top professor to whom you have access to at UCONN or Yale. For example, at UCONN undergraduates were taught by Samuel Pickering, a world renown English scholar and professor. I took genetics from Eldon Sutton at the University of Texas. Since you're a computer science guy I assume you have heard of the Dijkstra algorithm? (Dijkstra's algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I took 2 classes from Dijkstra himself at Texas-- Had lunch at his house a couple of times... These are opportunities you don't get at second tier schools. Sorry, you just don't. There IS a difference, even if you don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's unfortunate that some employers (like yourself) hire based on institution. In my experience (I'm also in IT) this isn't the norm.
Not sure why it's unfortunate... I hired PARTLY based on the academic rigor of the program from which the applicant graduated. I was working in a start up industry with millions of investor dollars at stake-- not to mention the jobs of hundreds of people. Why wouldn't I want to hire the best and brightest. Getting in to and completing a degree from any university is meaningful, but, understanding that a top tier school, that education likely made the applicant more well rounded and skilled (generally) I leaned in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,743 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Reputation: 5279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So Yale is equivalent to Manchester Community College? Sorry, Kid. Not with you on this one.


Every university hires adjuncts and they tend to come from the same pool. These aren't the people who are doing the cutting edge research in which you can participate in name-brand institutions. These aren't the top professor to whom you have access to at UCONN or Yale. For example, at UCONN undergraduates were taught by Samuel Pickering, a world renown English scholar and professor. I took genetics from Eldon Sutton at the University of Texas. Since you're a computer science guy I assume you have heard of the Dijkstra algorithm? (Dijkstra's algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I took 2 classes from Dijkstra himself at Texas-- Had lunch at his house a couple of times... These are opportunities you don't get at second tier schools. Sorry, you just don't. There IS a difference, even if you don't see it.



Not sure why it's unfortunate... I hired PARTLY based on the academic rigor of the program from which the applicant graduated. I was working in a start up industry with millions of investor dollars at stake-- not to mention the jobs of hundreds of people. Why wouldn't I want to hire the best and brightest. Getting in to and completing a degree from any university is meaningful, but, understanding that a top tier school, that education likely made the applicant more well rounded and skilled (generally) I leaned in that direction.
It's not a harm to want to hire the best and the brightest, especially in IT. However, automatically discrediting a lesser known university because of the assumptions that come with a Yale or Harvard degree is when it becomes unfortunate. Do you research every program that your applicants have graduated? I certainly hope so. If not, you're simply buying that luxury brand just for the name, and not the reliability. Just my opinion on it.

Just so we're clear: I'm not saying Yale = MCC. We're going to extremes here. But getting back to the original disagreement, what I am saying is that UCONN is not much different than Central or Eastern, and it's not even close to the tier of Yale. I suppose we can simply agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,124,715 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
But getting back to the original disagreement, what I am saying is that UCONN is not much different than Central or Eastern, and it's not even close to the tier of Yale. I suppose we can simply agree to disagree.
UCONN's education program ranks #31 in the country.

UCONN's law school ranks in the top 50 in the country.

UCONN's medical school outranks Yale for Primary Care education.

UCONN's undergrad acceptance rate is only 50%.

I could go on....UCONN is not even ranked on the same tier as the other state schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,743 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Reputation: 5279
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
UCONN's education program ranks #31 in the country.

UCONN's law school ranks in the top 50 in the country.

UCONN's medical school outranks Yale for Primary Care education.

UCONN's undergrad acceptance rate is only 50%.

I could go on....UCONN is not even ranked on the same tier as the other state schools.
Where are these rankings and what was the methodology used to rate these schools?

Also, acceptance rates are generally not evidence of how high a school ranks for a number of reasons. But for hahas, Eastern has an acceptance rate of only 60%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,124,715 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Where are these rankings and what was the methodology used to rate these schools?

Also, acceptance rates are generally not evidence of how high a school ranks for a number of reasons. But for hahas, Eastern has an acceptance rate of only 60%.
http://www.usnews.com/rankings

And I am sure you will find some fault with these rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,124,715 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Also, acceptance rates are generally not evidence of how high a school ranks for a number of reasons. But for hahas, Eastern has an acceptance rate of only 60%.
So you don't think Yale's 9% percent acceptance rate speaks volumes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,743 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Reputation: 5279
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
http://www.usnews.com/rankings

And I am sure you will find some fault with these rankings.
I was hoping you'd post a link to USNews.

It's a very simple methodology. TOO simple actually. Deans and Associate Deans are asked to assign scores for schools (1-5) based on reputation. For example, a Dean will sit there and say "Harvard Law? I'll give it a 5, excellent school". "Wesleyan? Not Yale, so I'll give it a 4." "Central CT? What?? 2."

Oh, but to make it more accurate, I believe USNews extended the ranking from 1-50 to make it more "granular". LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
So you don't think Yale's 9% percent acceptance rate speaks volumes?
No. Why? Because it's one of the most widely known universities in the world with scores of applications. Number of applicants certainly plays a role, you know. Simple math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
420 posts, read 1,003,492 times
Reputation: 328
KIDYANKEE, you my friend, are the only individual on this thread that makes any amount sense. I refuse to respond to any of the inane comments on this thread, because I'm actually in the middle of doing homework at the hardly-reputable CCSU. I don't even know why I try, because I won't be successful once I graduate! If only I had gone to UCONN! NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top