U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,858,787 times
Reputation: 5101

Advertisements

Don't be defensive and ridiculous...

No one said that you won't be successful if you go to CCSU. It's a quality school, and if you work hard, graduate and develop marketable skills, you'll be fine. Success is much more dependent on you than where you went to school....

I would also assume that your enrollment in CCSU would bias you towards thinking it to be as strong as UCONN. The US News rankings are flawed-- but not a work of fiction. They have an actual statistical methodology and the rankings are pretty well respected. UCONN has more resources, a better reputation, and a more academically prestigious faculty... Does that mean that UCONN is right for everyone? No. You have to find a college that fits you, your goals, your abilities, and needs.

But it serves no one to pretend that CCSU is equivalent to UCONN academically, and that UCONN might as well be Yale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,808 posts, read 22,108,557 times
Reputation: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Success is much more dependent on you than where you went to school....
This is very true which is why I was irked by your earlier statement that when making hiring decisions, you consider strongly the university one graduates from. Having worked with many high profile companies, I can say that some of our best and brightest employees are community college grads from across the country. Mlassoff, you're seemingly intelligent, so I would think you'd understand that money plays a big role in universities such as Yale. Or do you understand this?

I also think that you're putting way too much emphasis on "reputation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
But it serves no one to pretend that CCSU is equivalent to UCONN academically
This, IMO, outlines why I feel many in CT are so elitist. How much do you actually know about CCSU? Or are you just irresponsibly basing everything on hearsay?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-20-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,759 posts, read 40,368,739 times
Reputation: 7037
Sorry Kid but I have to side with Mlassoff on this. When you are going out into the real world looking for a job, the reputation of the school you go to plays a part in whether or not you are considered or hired. It is not the only thing but it is one of the things considered. UConn's reputation is better than the other state schools in general so graduates will most likely be considered first over other schools. I know my own company does this all the time. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,808 posts, read 22,108,557 times
Reputation: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry Kid but I have to side with Mlassoff on this. When you are going out into the real world looking for a job, the reputation of the school you go to plays a part in whether or not you are considered or hired. It is not the only thing but it is one of the things considered. UConn's reputation is better than the other state schools in general so graduates will most likely be considered first over other schools. I know my own company does this all the time. Jay
I'm not surprised Jay because you also place an incredible amount of emphasis on standardized testing which I tend to disagree with.

My company and the companies who contract us tend to look at the candidate's credentials over the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
420 posts, read 1,005,876 times
Reputation: 328
If we're going to talk "reputation", I've provided a list of the colleges and universities that my English Professors have graduated from with their PhD's:

Cornell (2)
Emory (2)
Yale (1)
NYU (1)
U. Oregon (1)

So, how could you deny that CCSU has quality professors and is on par with UCONN? CCSU is not a research university, which is why UCONN gets more funding and resources. But the quality of its academics, without a DOUBT in my mind, are at LEAST on par with UCONN. Connecticut is a small state...there's hardly room for competition with UCONN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,136,241 times
Reputation: 9305
Here's a sampling of the applicants:

ECSU
5% in the top 10% of their high school class
Average SAT range: 920-1100

WCSU
5% in the top 10%
SAT range: 900-1100

SCSU
7% in the top 10%
SAT range: 840-1030

CCSU
10% in the top 10%
SAT range: 940-1120

UCONN
38% in the top 10%
SAT range: 1090-1290

Yale
95% in the top 10%
SAT range: 1390-1580
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 AM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,858,787 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Mlassoff, you're seemingly intelligent, so I would think you'd understand that money plays a big role in universities such as Yale.
Yes, Money plays a huge role. Which is why you want to go to a University that is more well funded given the choice and if that University is right for you... Money means better paid faculty, more modern laboratories and computing system, more modern facilities, etc...

U-Texas (my alma mater) has the second largest endowment next to Harvard. Money doesn't mean everything, but it is a critical factor in the quality of the college experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This, IMO, outlines why I feel many in CT are so elitist. How much do you actually know about CCSU? Or are you just irresponsibly basing everything on hearsay?
Admittedly, I never attended CCSU. I have, however, taught at the University level, work and consult with a number of Universities as part of my training business (Boston U and CCNY are clients) and have a graduate degree myself. No, this doesn't make me an expert on every college in Connecticut, but I understand the factors that make for a quality college. CCSU is a good place to get an education-- You'll do great. However, it's not a top college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 AM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,858,787 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
If we're going to talk "reputation", I've provided a list of the colleges and universities that my English Professors have graduated from with their PhD's:

Cornell (2)
Emory (2)
Yale (1)
NYU (1)
U. Oregon (1)

So, how could you deny that CCSU has quality professors and is on par with UCONN? CCSU is not a research university, which is why UCONN gets more funding and resources. But the quality of its academics, without a DOUBT in my mind, are at LEAST on par with UCONN. Connecticut is a small state...there's hardly room for competition with UCONN
Maybe you should take an argumentation and debate course, bud. If you're going to be arguing that reputation is a non-factor and that CCSU and UCONN are equivalent despite reputation, rankings, and research-- Don't use the REPUTATION of the universities where your profs got PhD.s as evidence of your argument...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,858,787 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having worked with many high profile companies, I can say that some of our best and brightest employees are community college grads from across the country.
I would say Ivy League Grads are a slightly safer bet for best and brightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,808 posts, read 22,108,557 times
Reputation: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, Money plays a huge role. Which is why you want to go to a University that is more well funded given the choice and if that University is right for you... Money means better paid faculty, more modern laboratories and computing system, more modern facilities, etc...

U-Texas (my alma mater) has the second largest endowment next to Harvard. Money doesn't mean everything, but it is a critical factor in the quality of the college experience.

Admittedly, I never attended CCSU. I have, however, taught at the University level, work and consult with a number of Universities as part of my training business (Boston U and CCNY are clients) and have a graduate degree myself. No, this doesn't make me an expert on every college in Connecticut, but I understand the factors that make for a quality college. CCSU is a good place to get an education-- You'll do great. However, it's not a top college.
I meant money in the sense that if you have it, Yale will be more likely to consider you. But that's another thread.

I can tell you've never attended CCSU because you seem to know zilch about the programs there. It's an excellent school but you have already made up your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Here's a sampling of the applicants:
There is a reason why many schools don't consider the SAT so strongly anymore. Standardized testing has a tremendous benefit for the wealthy, as they can hire specialized tutors or attend classes in their high school to prepare for such tests (SAT, Mastery, CAPT-style tests). I guess you didn't read my response to Jay above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top