U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,777 posts, read 22,054,666 times
Reputation: 5294

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I guess that would depend on your definition of "many". There are approximately 500 undergrad international students enrolled now.

There are over 5,000 full time undergrads enrolled.
Wow - I thought it would be much higher. Perhaps there are more international graduate students. I'll have to check out the stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,129,516 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This was kind of where the debate began. I personally feel UCONN is a little overrated because of less one on one interaction between student and professor. But the CSU schools are most definitely underrated - many of the professors at these schools are experts in their field as well and it seems that those who have no experience with them tend to feel otherwise, without merit.
CCSU student/faculty ratio 19/1
classes under 20 students 41%

UCONN student/faculty ratio 17/1
classes under 20 students 44%

So which school is getting less one on one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
 
262 posts, read 519,697 times
Reputation: 127
I haven't seen anything like the giant Psych or Biology 101 type classes that Uconn has at the other public universities in the state. How do you teach 100's of students simultaneously? Also what about student aide teachers? Uconn seems to heavily rely on them. I see less of that in the smaller state universities.
I see a lot of regional snobbery about the CSUs as if they are community colleges and not accredited 4 year universities. Outside of CT people don't really seem to care unless it's an Ivy league name on the diploma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,777 posts, read 22,054,666 times
Reputation: 5294
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
CCSU student/faculty ratio 19/1
classes under 20 students 41%

UCONN student/faculty ratio 17/1
classes under 20 students 44%

So which school is getting less one on one?
FYI - the vast majority of UCONN's first year classes are in giant lecture halls with hundreds of students. This extends well into years 2, 3 and 4 as well, depending on one's major. Where are you getting your stats from? You seem to be very unfamiliar with reality on a college campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appias View Post
I haven't seen anything like the giant Psych or Biology 101 type classes that Uconn has at the other public universities in the state. How do you teach 100's of students simultaneously? Also what about student aide teachers? Uconn seems to heavily rely on them. I see less of that in the smaller state universities.
I see a lot of regional snobbery about the CSUs as if they are community colleges and not accredited 4 year universities. Outside of CT people don't really seem to care unless it's an Ivy league name on the diploma.
Very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
 
Location: CT!!!
18 posts, read 25,789 times
Reputation: 26
Default Thanks so much

Thanks so much to all of you for your info and replies! I do want to clarify as to why we are asking about the particular universities (Southern, Western and Central CT). My SO and I are coming from another state so tuition is a big part of the reasoning on the choice, as well as, this being undergrad studies. She IS however, looking at UCONN for graduate studies in the near future. We were just trying to find out more about the reputations of the state universities at this point and time. Just weighing our current options so to speak . Again, thank you ALL so very much for your info and opinions, we now have even more food for thought.
Mysty
PS: Again I am reminded of why I cannot wait to get to CT, I love the outspoken personalities and open honesty! We will definintely keep reading this board for any additional posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,129,516 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
FYI - the vast majority of UCONN's first year classes are in giant lecture halls with hundreds of students. This extends well into years 2, 3 and 4 as well, depending on one's major. Where are you getting your stats from? You seem to be very unfamiliar with reality on a college campus.

Right, I am unfamiliar. Yet, I can provide you with the percent of class sizes over 50 students that prove you are wrong.

The majority of class sizes at UCONN are not in lecture halls with hundreds of students.

Now since you are so familiar, I will let you tell us what that percent is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,834,299 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
FYI - the vast majority of UCONN's first year classes are in giant lecture halls with hundreds of students. This extends well into years 2, 3 and 4 as well, depending on one's major. Where are you getting your stats from? You seem to be very unfamiliar with reality on a college campus.
The vast majority of large universities have large lecture halls for survey classes. Even Harvard's famous CS 50: Introduction to Computer Science is taught this way. You do have to be a motivated student to succeed in a large lecture hall class-- There is no one who is asking you (or cares) if your work is done. Is it optimal? No. I've had large surveys with 400 people at UT that were wonderful and tiny classes with 12 people that were taught by a total asshat.

You've definitely hit on something that is a weakness of larger universities... However there are many, many upsides.

To me, succeeding in the larger, more rigorous university is part of the "Smart and gets thing done" paradigm I seek in an employee. It's one of many, many factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
420 posts, read 1,004,480 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Maybe you should take an argumentation and debate course, bud. If you're going to be arguing that reputation is a non-factor and that CCSU and UCONN are equivalent despite reputation, rankings, and research-- Don't use the REPUTATION of the universities where your profs got PhD.s as evidence of your argument...
Bud, I was using YOUR argument that a "reputation" is more important. So what about the "reputation" of the schools that my Professors have attended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,834,299 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Bud, I was using YOUR argument that a "reputation" is more important. So what about the "reputation" of the schools that my Professors have attended?
So you think my argument is wrong.. but then you use it to try to prove your point!?!? I fail to see the logic, my friend. In any case, I hope you are successful with your remaining college career, wherever that may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,688 posts, read 40,267,999 times
Reputation: 6999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not surprised Jay because you also place an incredible amount of emphasis on standardized testing which I tend to disagree with.

My company and the companies who contract us tend to look at the candidate's credentials over the university.
First let me say that any company that looks at kids coming out of a college will of course look at their background, grades, experience and activities but if those are basically the same, the one from a more prestigous school will be the one that gets hired. I am sure your company does the same. Notice I said in my post the school is ONE of the things considered.

Secondly, I only give people information on standardized tests because that is the best way to judge the type of school system. If you have a better way to answer someone's question on what is the best school system, I would like to hear it. Until then, I will stand by what the standardized tests show. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top