U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM

15,742 posts, read 22,000,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Right, I am unfamiliar. Yet, I can provide you with the percent of class sizes over 50 students that prove you are wrong.

The majority of class sizes at UCONN are not in lecture halls with hundreds of students.

Now since you are so familiar, I will let you tell us what that percent is...
I do think you're unfamiliar with the reality on college campuses. It extends far beyond "reputation" and the statistics you provide.

But you never answered my question: Where are you getting your stats? Collegeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
First let me say that any company that looks at kids coming out of a college will of course look at their background, grades, experience and activities but if those are basically the same, the one from a more prestigous school will be the one that gets hired. I am sure your company does the same. Notice I said in my post the school is ONE of the things considered.

Secondly, I only give people information on standardized tests because that is the best way to judge the type of school system. If you have a better way to answer someone's question on what is the best school system, I would like to hear it. Until then, I will stand by what the standardized tests show. Jay
I think you're missing my point. I completely agree that if there are two candidates who are equal at everything else, and one is from Yale and the other is from NVCC, the Yale grad would certainly get the job. That's a no brainer. But what I'm talking about is forming an opinion on the applicant based on college alone. This is why I asked mlassoff earlier in the thread if he researches their background, experience, programs and activities.

I know you believe standardized testing is the best way to judge a school. I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is so much more to look at regarding schools other than CAPT, SAT and Mastery scores. You must look at programs, whether or not the district has the funding to offer CAPT, SAT and Mastery prep courses, whether or not the parents in the district have the means to hire a tutor for these tests - all of this comes into play. Just because a school in Avon has high Mastery test scores doesn't mean it's a top district - it means the district prepares their students well for standardized testing.

It's certainly an issue of school snobbery. 100%.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-21-2010 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,122,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I do think you're unfamiliar with the reality on college campuses. It extends far beyond "reputation" and the statistics you provide.

But you never answered my question: Where are you getting your stats? Collegeboard?
And I think the same about you. And my facts proved you wrong. However, you are entitled to your opinions, as incorrect as they may be.

Anyone that knows anything about college stats knows where to go to get stats.

You never answered my question about the percent of large lecture classes at UCONN? I seem to recall you said they were the "majority" of classes for all 4 years.....

Classes of less than 20 students: 44%
Classes of 20-49 students: 42%
Classes of 50 or more students: 14% .

86% vs 14% .

By the way, in the past year, I have walked, toured, and interviewed over 30 universities. Such a shame, I am so unfamiliar...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
And I think the same about you. And my facts proved you wrong. However, you are entitled to your opinions, as incorrect as they may be.

Anyone that knows anything about college stats knows where to go to get stats.

You never answered my question about the percent of large lecture classes at UCONN? I seem to recall you said they were the "majority" of classes for all 4 years.....

Classes of less than 20 students: 44%
Classes of 20-49 students: 42%
Classes of 50 or more students: 14% .

86% vs 14% .

By the way, in the past year, I have walked, toured, and interviewed over 30 universities. Such a shame, I am so unfamiliar...
Actually, I said:

Quote:
FYI - the vast majority of UCONN's first year classes are in giant lecture halls
Large lecture halls extend to years 2, 3 and 4, but are not the majority. Again, it depends on ones major. Comprehension.

So, you're dodging my question, and I'm not sure why. Where are you getting your stats?

And you've walked, toured and interviewed over 30 universities in the past 12 months? LOL, if you say so. Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say you did, "touring" campuses hardly makes one an expert on every aspect of college life.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Actually, I said:

Large lecture halls extend to years 2, 3 and 4, but are not the majority. Again, it depends on ones major. Comprehension.

So, you're dodging my question, and I'm not sure why. Where are you getting your stats?

And you've walked, toured and interviewed over 30 universities in the past 12 months? LOL, if you say so. Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say you did, "touring" campuses hardly makes one an expert on every aspect of college life.
I'll take it from you since you sound like an expert...

So what majors have large lecture classes? ( I can find that statistic out, too.) Feel free to site your source, as well!

Oh, and I never claimed to be an expert of "every aspect of college life" however, as a former educator, I do know what to look for in academics.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Actually, I said:

No, this is what you actually said....

Quote:
FYI - the vast majority of UCONN's first year classes are in giant lecture halls with hundreds of students. This extends well into years 2, 3 and 4 as well, depending on one's major.
Comprehension problem?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I'll take it from you since you sound like an expert...

So what majors have large lecture classes? ( I can find that statistic out, too.) Feel free to site your source, as well!

Oh, and I never claimed to be an expert of "every aspect of college life" however, as a former educator, I do know what to look for in academics.
Not once did I claim to be an expert.

My wife was in the Psychology department - large lecture halls up until Junior year. Same with sociology. The new EIT building houses large lecture halls with freshman and sophomores. They obviously get smaller once you get into the less popular majors, and once you start getting into the 3 and 400 level courses. Did I not say this twice already?

Regarding sources, I'm still waiting for yours.

Anyways, I'm going to bow out respectfully. We're not going to agree on this. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong. Time to move on. I'm not interested in making this personal.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Not once did I claim to be an expert.

My wife was in the Psychology department - large lecture halls up until Junior year. Same with sociology. The new EIT building houses large lecture halls with freshman and sophomores. They obviously get smaller once you get into the less popular majors, and once you start getting into the 3 and 400 level courses. Did I not say this twice already?

Regarding sources, I'm still waiting for yours.

Anyways, I'm going to bow out respectfully. We're not going to agree on this. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong. Time to move on. I'm not interested in making this personal.
Well if your wife was in the psych dept or sociology dept at UCONN, then I am sure she told you that the only large lecture classes are Intro courses and that the class is divided up into groups of 25 students that meet for a weekly discussion group.

Wow, was she really taking Intro courses into her junior year?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM

498 posts, read 373,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_cera View Post
Hello all,
We will be moving to CT very soon (From TN), and where we live is dependent on which school my partner attends. Does anyone have any info, personal experience or input on these schools? The programs of interest are Psych/NeuroPsych/Neurobiology. This is a very important decision as quality of living and education go hand in hand. We also would like to be in an area within a decent commute to the university that offers good employment (hospitals/nursing facilities- I'm a nurse, and special needs facilities as she works with autistic and developmentally disabled populations), family oriented neighborhoods with non-extreme apartment and house rentals.
Shopping (malls etc) within twenty minutes or so is fine, we're definitely used to that! We will be bringing a middle schooler and a few animals so these are a big consideration. There won't be a big culture shock for us (she is from Philly), the change is MUCH thought through, needed and desired.The liberal, progressive, and diverse (comparatively speaking) atmosphere offers everything we are longing for.
We do want to make a well informed decision and the CT boards are always so outspoken and informative. We would appreciate honest information as the decision is getting very close!! Our move will be in a couple of months!
Also- any RNs out there who would like to give info on salary and employment that would be a bonus as well .
Thanks in advance!!!!
Mysty
West Conn is your best bet!!! If you want a great school in a great city go West Conn!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 PM

18 posts, read 25,767 times
Default Curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
West Conn is your best bet!!! If you want a great school in a great city go West Conn!!!
So did you attend, or are you currently attending WCSU? If so, any input or opinions on good, bad and mediocre- your particular experiences, area of study etc??
Mys

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,834,013 times
I went to WestConn. I personally liked it a lot. However I can't speak much for the majors which you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut