U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 AM

2,601 posts, read 5,879,477 times
Default Taking the train to NYC?

How long does it take the train to get from Bridgeport to NYC, near Central Park West?? I'm trying to time out a upcoming trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 AM

4,149 posts, read 4,231,137 times
The train from Bridgeport is around an hour and 20 minutes. It goes to Grand Central, which is at 42nd and Park, so you'd need to either walk or take the subway up to Central Park West. What intersecting street at Central Park West are you talking about?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 PM

How long would the subway be from Grand Central to the stop in front of the natural museum of history??

Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
How long would the subway be from Grand Central to the stop in front of the natural museum of history??
That's at Central Park West and 81st Street. I'm not exactly sure. It's a little awkward to get from GCT to the upper west side, since the subways that run through GCT are mostly east side oriented. Just taking a stab, I'd say about 30 minutes. You'd probably need to take a shuttle over to the Times Square area, and then a train that runs up Central Park West.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM

All in all, I think you need to budget about 2 hours for your trip from Bridgeport to the Museum of Natural History.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Is there an easier way to go? We will be going early AM 7:30am maybe, from Waterbury area...looking to drive somewhere then take the train the rest of the way...
It's during the week, so we have to take rush hour into account and wanted to avoid 95.

Any suggestions? Maybe driving across towards danbury then down to white plains and taking a train from there??? I wanted to get into the central park area by 10am..

Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM

As long as you're taking the train, there's no real difference.

Your other option is to just drive in. On a weekend with light traffic, it might be faster just to drive in.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 PM

No, we are going on a Wed Morning.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM

11,831 posts, read 12,150,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is there an easier way to go? We will be going early AM 7:30am maybe, from Waterbury area...looking to drive somewhere then take the train the rest of the way...
It's during the week, so we have to take rush hour into account and wanted to avoid 95.

Any suggestions? Maybe driving across towards danbury then down to white plains and taking a train from there??? I wanted to get into the central park area by 10am..
Driving to Katonah is certainly an option since it's right off of 684. I'd suggest you just go out of Bridgeport - just time it right because Route 8 traffic going south in the AM can be stop and go from Seymour through Ansonia and Derby.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM

6,510 posts, read 7,944,521 times
First off, all Metro North trains end at Grand Central so where you board the train won't make a difference. Getting to 81st and Central Park West from Penn Station (where the Long Island and NJ commuter trains end) would be a lot easier, though Amtrak has some way of going to Penn Station from our region, I think they built a special cut-off for them that the MTA doesn't use (go back 15 or 20 years, if you wanted to take Amtrak from say New Haven to Philly, you had to somehow get from Grand Central to Penn Station, very very awkward.......).

Anyway, if you actually take Amtrak, from Penn Station you would take the 1 train to 59th Street, then switch to the B, C, or D train (whichever comes first) and take it to 81st, a stop also called "Museum of Natural History" and you come out right in front of the museum.

From Grand Central, there's a couple of pretty awkward ways:

1) Shuttle to Times Square, then uptown 1 train, then follow my "Penn Station" directions above.

2) Shuttle to Times Square, walk underground for a very long time/way to a free transfer at the 42nd street/8th avenue station and take the uptown C train to 81st Street (DO NOT take the A train, it skips the stop, or the E train which breaks off earlier and heads into Queens)

#2 is probably the best way, though it is a LONG walk to the transfer, but there are good signs to point you to it.

A third possibility few think about if you don't want to drive completely in that is free to park is to park along the northern end of the Grand Concourse in the Bronx and take the D train to 125th Street and wait on those very tracks for a local B or C train to take you down to 81st (during rush hours I believe you can get the B along the Concourse as well except at the final 205th Street station, no transfer needed then but it will stop at a lot of stops in the Bronx that the D skips). If you remember the Bronx of 1980 you will probably think I should be in a straightjacket for suggesting this but my wife and her family have done this to save on Metro North fare for the occasional trip to Manhattan, not a daily commute (and even then I thought she should be in a straightjacket when she first told me about this), but trying it I learned it's not as nuts as it seems, there's usually a parking space if you look around enough and the area around the Bedford Park Blvd. and Kingsbridge Road stations are pretty safe except maybe very late at night (I wouldn't go south of Fordham Road to board though and you won't find parking near Fordham Road anyway). I have done this enough times to say that I feel confident you and your car would be safe (and I'm a middle-aged white dude who doesn't look "ghetto" at all before you ask). The line skips a lot of stops in the Bronx and 125th Street is a much different place than it used to be, so if you don't wait long for a transfer you might only spend about 20-25 minutes on the subway. Just a thought......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut