U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM

9 posts, read 15,327 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I just moved to Stamford a few weeks ago (we're in the Shippan area). We really don't know anyone in the area and can't seem to find the somethings we've become accustomed to where we used to live on long island. I've tried searching the web but have come up with nothing useful. Maybe someone can help us?

1- A good Italian Deli
2- A Butcher
3- A Farmers Market or great place for fresh produce
4- Pizza!!!! Now I don't expect NY pizza but the last pie we tried was so well done we could have used it to play frisbee with
5- Swimming lessons for my 2yr old (we had a place called saf-t-swim). so far I haven't found someone that does lessons this young.
6- Dance class/gymnastics for 2yr old (we had a few places by us that started classes without mommy at 2).
7- I also am looking for a kids party entertainer. The only recommendation I've received is already booked up.

Any information would be helpful... I know I'm new to the area but I really feel like a fish out of water here.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

418 posts, read 1,232,591 times
[quote=kimme94;13821927]Hi,

I can try to help with some of these. Yelp.com is a good resource for newcomers, too.

3- A Farmers Market or great place for fresh produce
There is a produce market on Saturday mornings during the spring/summer/fall on Bedford, but it's not all local. Better markets are in Greenwich and New Canaan. You will find all the local farmers markets listed at localharvest.org or buyctgrown.com

4- Pizza!!!! Now I don't expect NY pizza but the last pie we tried was so well done we could have used it to play frisbee with
Google "Stamford Pizza Tour" for extensive Stamford Pizza information. I like Remo's on Bedford.

5- Swimming lessons for my 2yr old (we had a place called saf-t-swim). so far I haven't found someone that does lessons this young.
Try the New York Sports Club on Commerce Drive. They have a nice pool and I've seen little kids in it.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 15,327 times
Silli this is great! So much better than what I've been finding just searching myself

Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM

64,982 posts, read 47,284,481 times
1- A good Italian Deli - very hard to find.

2- A Butcher - never used one

3- A Farmers Market or great place for fresh produce - Darien next to Stop Shop on Heights Road.

4- Pizza!!!! - Everyone swears by Colony Pizza in Stamford..I'm not part of that "everybody". Im in love with how they make it at Piazza Pizza in Norwalk on CT Avenue in Kohls shopping center. Their Sililian slices are unreal. You can try Johns Best on hope street Stamford too.

6- Dance class/gymnastics for 2yr old - never needed one. There's gotta be a place in downtown Stamford. Try googling it.

7- I also am looking for a kids party entertainer. - I can be a clown if you want.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,935,063 times
Italian Deli: I like A&S Italian Deli on High Ridge.
Pizza: I like Colony but find it a bit greasy. I personally think you can't really go wrong for pizza in Stamford, but then again I have moved to Virginia where we can't find edible pizza to save our lives.

For the best Greek style (thicker crust, square cut), head over the border into Darien for Post Corner Pizza (oh how we miss it - great salads too). I believe Hope Street Pizza is also greek style and was ok.

I like the pizza at John the Baker, Marios and Michelina's http://www.michelinaspizza.com/. John's best is fine too. Planet Pizza is always tasty.

Last edited by arielmina; 04-21-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,935,063 times
oh for swimming lessons, try the Darien Y

http://www.darien-ymca.org/aquatics_early.html (broken link)

oh they probably have gymnastics too....

Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
For the best Greek style (thicker crust, square cut), head over the border into Darien for Post Corner Pizza (oh how we miss it - great salads too).
I love Post Corner's pizza, too and their baklava is to die for! It's been too long since I have eaten there...may need to take a trip down there soon!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM

129 posts, read 348,135 times
I agree with the above...come summer ,Farmers markets pop up all over.Also a new Whole Foods opening up off exit 10 in Darien.Im from the Bx and they just dont make pizza like that here. A&S deli on High Ridge is an excellent Italian deli.There are plenty of Italians in the area and youll stuble on little delis etc in time,

Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM

32 posts, read 88,609 times
I don't know of any drop off gymnastics classes for two year olds here, but plenty of mommy & me ones. The new The Stamford Family YMCA might have one. I've heard it is really nice. I know the New Canaan YMCA (http://www.newcanaanymca.org/bouncing_bears.html - broken link) has a good gymnastics program for little ones & swim lessons, but it might be a little far for you. There is always The Little Gym, too.

Good luck & welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut