U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM

15,780 posts, read 22,073,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Bridges , The Catenary's are still not upgraded except in a few areas, the Tracks aren't upgraded except in a few areas , and none of the interlocks are upgraded. They should fast track this before continuing to add to the line in terms of more stations.
To add to this, I've been hearing about new cars since I was in high school. I'm now in my upper 20's. I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 02:41 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,699,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
To add to this, I've been hearing about new cars since I was in high school. I'm now in my upper 20's. I'll believe it when I see it.
Well those are coming , but these other upgrades seem to be moving at a snail's pace.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,820,195 times
Quote:
Well those are coming , but these other upgrades seem to be moving at a snail's pace.
Are they truly new this time or are we getting another state's relics?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Are they truly new this time or are we getting another state's relics?
No , some are already here. There getting tested out.

YouTube - Metro-North M8 Pilot Cars

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 AM

24,709 posts, read 40,305,911 times
Quote:
The Bridges , The Catenary's are still not upgraded except in a few areas, the Tracks aren't upgraded except in a few areas , and none of the interlocks are upgraded. They should fast track this before continuing to add to the line in terms of more stations.
The catenary replacements are more than 50% complete and are scheduled to be fully completed in 5 years. All of the tracks have been updated. There are two bridges that need replacement in Westport and Norwalk and the FRA has mandated that the signal system be upgraded to include positive train control. There is no money for this (typical of the Feds).

In general the line is in very good shape and more than capable of handling extra traffic that the needed stations will provide. The real issue along the line has been a lack of parking at existing stations and the new stations will help address this. Fairfield station has an very long list of people waiting for parking and the 1,500 spaces at the new station will go a long way to reduce that waiting list. The new West Haven station will help reduce the parking problems in New Haven and Milford which are the two closest stations to the it. There is also a need to improve parking at Stratford station and there are plans for a parking garage there but there is no schedule for it yet. Jay

Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The catenary replacements are more than 50% complete and are scheduled to be fully completed in 5 years. All of the tracks have been updated. There are two bridges that need replacement in Westport and Norwalk and the FRA has mandated that the signal system be upgraded to include positive train control. There is no money for this (typical of the Feds).

In general the line is in very good shape and more than capable of handling extra traffic that the needed stations will provide. The real issue along the line has been a lack of parking at existing stations and the new stations will help address this. Fairfield station has an very long list of people waiting for parking and the 1,500 spaces at the new station will go a long way to reduce that waiting list. The new West Haven station will help reduce the parking problems in New Haven and Milford which are the two closest stations to the it. There is also a need to improve parking at Stratford station and there are plans for a parking garage there but there is no schedule for it yet. Jay
My bad , they used the same design for the new Catenary's so , i thought they didn't upgrade it. Now ic they did. Now the Problem is they new More Capacity for & idk why the feds aren't funding the PTC. That would solve part of the congestion problem. But 1-2 Tracks are needed in certain areas to allow Amtrak to put more trains on the line and Metro-North to add more Express Trains. I fear when the New Haven-Springfield line is completed , the line will be over capacity and delays will be 2x worse then they are today.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Actually there are not a lot of delays on the line. Given the amount of traffic trains pretty much run on time. But I do agree more capacity would help.

I am not sure why the Springfield line would impact the New Haven line. These are different tracks and the Springfield line would terminate in New Haven where the New Haven line begins. Some day, the Springfield line may extend some trains down to Stamford like Shoreline East does but that is many years down the road. Jay

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Actually there are not a lot of delays on the line. Given the amount of traffic trains pretty much run on time. But I do agree more capacity would help.

I am not sure why the Springfield line would impact the New Haven line. These are different tracks and the Springfield line would terminate in New Haven where the New Haven line begins. Some day, the Springfield line may extend some trains down to Stamford like Shoreline East does but that is many years down the road. Jay
Yes the New Haven - Springfield train would end in New Haven. But i heard when the line is eventually electrified that the trains would continue onto NYC. Also i think the M8's are replacing the Shoreline east fleet. To me The Northeast Corridor in CT needs to be 4 tracked its entire length. Unless you want to deal with long delays in the future.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM

The entire Northeast Corridor through Connecticut has four tracks. The new trains are primarily for the New Haven line, I don't think that any are for Shoreline East. There are no plans to electrify the Springfield Line. I really do not know where you are hearing all this but much of it is inaccurrate. Jay

Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The entire Northeast Corridor through Connecticut has four tracks. The new trains are primarily for the New Haven line, I don't think that any are for Shoreline East. There are no plans to electrify the Springfield Line. I really do not know where you are hearing all this but much of it is inaccurate. Jay
The key word i said was " Eventually" maybe not this decade , but of ridership is high enough maybe in the next decade. + the Full Build plans call for Electrification. But it wouldn't be wise to start out with Electrification. As for the the M8's replacing the Shoreline East fleet i read that somewhere. When i find the link , i'll post it. Actaully The NEC varies form 3-4 tracks in some places.

As you can see in some places it drops to only 3 tracks , it looks they upgraded most of the easy sections already. & started on the harder sections.

YouTube - Metro-North New Haven Line (Part 1)

YouTube - Metro-North New Haven Line (Part 2)

YouTube - Metro-North New Haven Line (Part 3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut