Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,735 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to CT from Boston this summer. I have a new job at Connecticut Children's and my fiance is a lawyer at a virtual law firm, so he works from home.

We need a place where we can walk to restaurants, watering holes and coffee shops, just like we do now in Boston. We looked at a lot of apartments this past weekend and are looking for a bit of advice.

First of all, can I safely (a 30-something white female) walk or ride my bike from downtown to Connecticut Children's/Hartford Hospital? Or can I ride the city bus? What about at night? I am a city girl, but I also grew up in the suburbs of Hartford hearing how dangerous Hartford is. I don't quite know what it is like now.

Also, we really liked the apts at 55 Trumbull and 915 Main St, and we can get a 2 bed below our price range, which is a bonus for my fiance working from home. However all the reviews seem really dreadful. Were these reviews from when they were owned by PMC Property? Anyone know whats up with all the bad reviews?

We have a lot of time before we really have to sign a lease, but I am looking for some help as we move forward in the process.

What we have seen:
Hartford 21: OK, nice amenities, 2 bed more than we would like to pay
Main and Temple: Loved this place... but only a 1 bed that we loved
Trumbull on the Park: felt like a dorm or a hotel room, ick
266 Pearl St: Nice, with condo owners mixed in
55 Trumbull: Seems too good to be true, valet parking will ding my car
915 Main: Seems too good to be true, unsure of security...?

Are there other buildings in the area? Unsure about Bushnell Towers- those are all condos right?

Thanks for your help. Excited to find an active board such as this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 01:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkus72 View Post
My fiance and I are moving to CT from Boston this summer. I have a new job at Connecticut Children's and my fiance is a lawyer at a virtual law firm, so he works from home.

We need a place where we can walk to restaurants, watering holes and coffee shops, just like we do now in Boston. We looked at a lot of apartments this past weekend and are looking for a bit of advice.

First of all, can I safely (a 30-something white female) walk or ride my bike from downtown to Connecticut Children's/Hartford Hospital? Or can I ride the city bus? What about at night? I am a city girl, but I also grew up in the suburbs of Hartford hearing how dangerous Hartford is. I don't quite know what it is like now.

Also, we really liked the apts at 55 Trumbull and 915 Main St, and we can get a 2 bed below our price range, which is a bonus for my fiance working from home. However all the reviews seem really dreadful. Were these reviews from when they were owned by PMC Property? Anyone know whats up with all the bad reviews?

We have a lot of time before we really have to sign a lease, but I am looking for some help as we move forward in the process.

What we have seen:
Hartford 21: OK, nice amenities, 2 bed more than we would like to pay
Main and Temple: Loved this place... but only a 1 bed that we loved
Trumbull on the Park: felt like a dorm or a hotel room, ick
266 Pearl St: Nice, with condo owners mixed in
55 Trumbull: Seems too good to be true, valet parking will ding my car
915 Main: Seems too good to be true, unsure of security...?

Are there other buildings in the area? Unsure about Bushnell Towers- those are all condos right?

Thanks for your help. Excited to find an active board such as this!
Just a quick thought as I'm running out of time...across the river (there is a pedestrian bridge) there are some very nice places too and you can just walk to work or whatever across the bridge. I think it's called Riverpoint.

It's where this picture was taken.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
It might be a bit far to walk from downtown to the Children's Hospital and the area around the hospital is a bit questionable. Not bad, just questionable. I can't comment on any of the apartments you mentioned but I will say there is good and bad in everything. The rent will be low for a reason. Also note that people will only write into one of those apartment rental boards when they have a problem. I would take those comments with a grain of salt. Jay

Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,501 times
It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the various downtown places. Have you looked at Bushnell on the Park? I think it would be so nice to live right across the street from the park.
You can definitely take the bus to work. There are multiple routes that go down that way. If you plan on taking the bus, try to choose an apt. as close to Main Street as possible. You might feel uncomfortable on the bus once in a while but it is safe and once you get to know the other riders it will be fine.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,302 times
I would not recommend Bushnell on the Park. The company that owns the majority of units has filed for bankruptcy, the maintenance has become very slow. Elevators are always breaking down, building is getting run-down and a bit dirty, and there's a bad leak/mold problem in the garage. Half the machines in the little gym are broken and not being repaired. The condo association has been placed in receivership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut