U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,532 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice. Just ended a long-term relationship and am looking to move out of NYC. Single guy, prefer an apartment rental since I do travel quite a bit. I will also be working from home, but need access to NYC once a week or so.

I was earlier looking at Norwalk but the comments have been so mixed I'm confused about whether it is a good place to be, whether it's a safety issue in SoNo (I was looking at the Jefferson at Water 55/77) or just crap condition of apartments (Merritt River and 597 Westport).

I'd rather be further than Greenwich and Stamford, but rather be in a nicer apartment in a safe town (I enjoy walking but not running from door to door). I've been spoiled by the safety of Manhattan for years now (no, I'm not joking) but rather exit before this decline becomes more prominant.

Any advice? Any help is much appreciated.

m
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,000,448 times
SoNo reminds me of some neighborhoods in Brooklyn where gentrification is occurring but is still close to unsafe areas. Very safe during the day, at night it depends on where you're living or what area you're around. The downtown area of SoNo is very safe with a great nightlife.

The Merritt 7 area is more suburban so you'd need a car to get around, but the train is right there into NYC so that's convenient.

I don't know much about the condition of Merritt 7 but do know people who have lived there, and I haven't heard anything negative.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Kidyankee764, thanks for the info. I figured that was the case with SoNo, but when you read stuff on these boards it looks like the place is like Dinkins-era Brooklyn. Thanks for the info.

And after years without a car, it may be time to plunge back into driving.

Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,202,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_moving View Post
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice. Just ended a long-term relationship and am looking to move out of NYC. Single guy, prefer an apartment rental since I do travel quite a bit. I will also be working from home, but need access to NYC once a week or so.

I was earlier looking at Norwalk but the comments have been so mixed I'm confused about whether it is a good place to be, whether it's a safety issue in SoNo (I was looking at the Jefferson at Water 55/77) or just crap condition of apartments (Merritt River and 597 Westport).

I'd rather be further than Greenwich and Stamford, but rather be in a nicer apartment in a safe town (I enjoy walking but not running from door to door). I've been spoiled by the safety of Manhattan for years now (no, I'm not joking) but rather exit before this decline becomes more prominant.

Any advice? Any help is much appreciated.

m
I agree with SoNo too, but may I ask how far is "too far". 1 hour train ride into the city okay?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Hi JViello,

Since I don't have to do the trek too often (once a week max), an hour on the train doesn't bother me.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Have you considered going all the way up to New Haven? There is a lot going on downtown there and it may be what you are looking for. I am not sure how much you want to pay but there is a brand new apartment tower going up and a lot of other smaller buildings. If that is too far then South Norwalk might be your best bet. Stamford would be the other but you eliminated it already. And if South Norwalk scares you then Bridgeport would too. Jay

Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 AM

418 posts, read 1,233,007 times
You sound extremely concerned about safety- the decline you mentioned was the uptick in crime in NYC? Therefore you might not feel comfortable in the more urban neighborhoods of South Norwalk, Stamford, or New Haven, even though. You're probably looking for a quieter environment like Greenwich, Fairfield, or maybe Milford.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,000,448 times
Jay's suggestion of New Haven was great. I second that.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,394 times
Default Don't dismiss Greenwich...

Don't rule out Greenwich. Here's why: It's a little known secret, that although quite wealthy, Greenwich can actually be quite affordable for renters and offers much more bang for your buck. I lived/rented there. There are many rentals in Greenwich, all pretty much on par with the rental prices for 1 bdrms. you'd find in surrounding areas like Stamford or Norwalk to the North, and Westechester County, N.Y

Here is where you get more bang for your buck though:
1. Beautiful, safe, and short commute to NYC.
2. Unlike Stamford, Norwalk & beyond, Greenwich is perfectly centralized in that you can be in Stamford in 10 mins & Norwalk 15-20 mins to the north, but you can also be in Westchester county N.Y in 5 mins.( Rye, Mamaroneck, and on up the line) White Plains is 15 mins. away. Not to be dismissed, as it is a hub.
3. Once you are in Greenwich, you are now entitled to all the nice benefits. Their YMCA is state of the art (if you can't afford it, they'll help you!), you have 2 beaches, which if a resident, you can buy an affordable season pass to. I went often.
4. Greenwich Ave. on it's own offers numerous restaurants, and yes, there is a bar/singles scene, plus major shopping stores without the Mall, and unique shops. All in an outside picturesque environment.
5. No one town is perfect, but if you like a general sense of civility, safety, beautiful surroundings, and close proximity to any and all conveniences, with an easy commute to NYC, Greenwich should definitely be on your list of towns to check out.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments.

First of all, I am concerned about safety -- especially as someone who walks as much as I do (and prefer walking to driving). NYC is familiar territory but in a new area the challenges are always different. Better safe than sorry, right? And yeah, NYC is on the downward slope, thanks to the cuts made to policing budget amongst other things.

Second, I will take a look at Greenwich again -- MissVik makes good points.

Third, I will take a look at New Haven -- and also Hartford -- so thanks for the suggestion for the former.

Thanks all!
mel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut