U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,820,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Now now boys do I have to pull out the tape measure?

As for cars, I financed my 4 Jags, my Bently I put on a credit card and I did some things I'm not very proud of for my Aston Martin. You know, I just realized something...could THAT be why I'm in debt?
Really...you owned a Bentley and didn't know how to spell it?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 PM

112 posts, read 207,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes it is, and yes you are and no you don't. I guess the 45 minutes you spent attempting to make yourself seem "right" couldn't possibly have been better spent to get yourself somwhere better in life? If it makes you feel better, good on ya, but I'm just sayin...

If you feel the need to cross post the same info that mlassoff refuted in one simple post, I don't know what to tell you.

P.S. It would do you good in life to understand the difference between "MSRP" and "average retail" Oh, and I noticed your headlight fluid is low...I can recommend a shop to you if you like.
Make myself "seem" right? That info was taken directly from a rental website (and a quick copy and paste doesn't take 45mins). But hey, if you can't admit you were wrong then that's on you.

I believe the post your referring to from mlassoff stated that the prices at the mansions in Vernon were lower...but that poster was looking for a one bedroom if I'm not mistaken. The prices I quoted were for a 2bd.

It's amazing how quick to judge people are (and really sorry for misspelling one word and leaving out an "E")....could this be why CT gets a bad rap for being "unfriendly"??? Really makes me wonder when I read these posts. Like I've said time and time and time again...I just express my own opinion on the situation I am in...a single person in CT, starting out in 2010, already at a disadvantage for being in debt (student loans..for which I'm told on this site is a worthless degree), without family monetary support and without a job that pays $60k+/year. I hope my posts will help people in that kind of situation figure out if a move to CT is good for them or not. I'm not going to blow smoke up someone's rear about CT then when they can't make it here tell them it's because they didn't try hard enough....or they moved to the wrong area...or what have you. I take everyone's own, unique situation into consideration and am honest to a fault (which is why when I see someone stating that you can get a 2bd/2ba in a place I know you can't, I provide the truth). Just because you made it here doesn't mean everyone can and it's not that you worked harder than someone else or you advanced yourself and others arent trying...because they are.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,766,605 times
I'm not just starting out. I can't speak on behalf of anyone else here since I'm a relative noob on this forum. But I was 30 years old when my husband and I bought our condo. I was 41 when we bought the house. I've been on my own since I was 18, although I moved home during the year prior to meeting my husband, when I was 28. It wasn't easy. At that point in my life, I was working -three- jobs.

I worked my butt off for 8 years after graduating college, and my husband worked his butt off for longer than that because he worked instead of graduating college. We didn't expect things to be easy. We certainly didn't expect to be able to find a luxury 2b-2ba apartment in a complex with a pool in one of the more affluent smaller towns in the state, for less than what we currently pay in mortgage, when we were in our 20's.

I'm really really sorry you're having it rough. Welcome to adulthood, where you have to actually earn your living, if you can't afford the winning lotto ticket.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,235,828 times
Quote:
Make myself "seem" right? That info was taken directly from a rental website (and a quick copy and paste doesn't take 45mins). But hey, if you can't admit you were wrong then that's on you.

I believe the post your referring to from mlassoff stated that the prices at the mansions in Vernon were lower...but that poster was looking for a one bedroom if I'm not mistaken. The prices I quoted were for a 2bd.
I'll say this as slow and simple as I can...

12 of the 13 apartments you listed have starting prices for 2 bedrooms from $799-$1175.

Are those not 2 bed apartments for $1100 or less - in a "luxury" complex? I guess I'm seeing things or you just posted 12 of 13 places with prices exactly where we said they would be or much less.

Moreover mlassoff didn't tell you his places was cheaper - but that his actual quote was much lower than listed on the website.

Have you never heard of negotiating or "move in specials" where they give you a month free for a years lease or whatever? Some include basic cable etc etc. So you can take at least another $100.00 per month off the figures you posted.

So yes, you are trying to make yourself seem right when you blatently ignore the numbers staring you right in the face that you typed with your own fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm not just starting out. I can't speak on behalf of anyone else here since I'm a relative noob on this forum. But I was 30 years old when my husband and I bought our condo. I was 41 when we bought the house. I've been on my own since I was 18, although I moved home during the year prior to meeting my husband, when I was 28. It wasn't easy. At that point in my life, I was working -three- jobs.

I worked my butt off for 8 years after graduating college, and my husband worked his butt off for longer than that because he worked instead of graduating college. We didn't expect things to be easy. We certainly didn't expect to be able to find a luxury 2b-2ba apartment in a complex with a pool in one of the more affluent smaller towns in the state, for less than what we currently pay in mortgage, when we were in our 20's.

I'm really really sorry you're having it rough. Welcome to adulthood, where you have to actually earn your living, if you can't afford the winning lotto ticket.
Great post...but I think you are wasting your time at this point, as many of us are.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I've been on my own since I was 18, although I moved home during the year prior to meeting my husband, when I was 28. It wasn't easy. At that point in my life, I was working -three- jobs.
By that statement you proved my point exactly! With a college degree you were working three jobs to make it in CT and then moved back home. That is what I have been saying all along. It's not rough for me, not when compared to a LOT of people I know (laid off, pay cuts, hours taken away, etc). I have a decent job, a cheap rent for the area (the people just moving in are paying twice what I pay b/c I got in when it was low). You also stated you and your husband bought a condo again proving another point...that it's hard to buy something when you have one income. Could you have done it?? I don't know your situation, maybe you could have.

Like I said, the point I am trying to make is what the post is titled "Living in CT-out of reach?". Notice the "?". For me, not living paycheck to paycheck is not an option in CT...neither is buying a house. The statistics I originally posted point out that houses, these days, are unaffordable to 60% of CT residents. That is not something I made up, those are facts.

If I was looking for info on a place I was thinking about moving to I would want honest opinions from ALL types of people living there (rich, poor, middleclass, established, starting out, etc) since I would like to know all perspectives before jumping into a very BIG decision. That is what I try to accomplish with my posts. I dont want to argue or get into a "he said, she said".

I was also out on my own at a young age...17 actually, yes I graduated HS early. I have busted my rear ever since so "adulthood" isn't something you have to tell me about.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 AM

[quote=JViello;14209233]I'll say this as slow and simple as I can...

12 of the 13 apartments you listed have starting prices for 2 bedrooms from $799-$1175.

Are those not 2 bed apartments for $1100 or less - in a "luxury" complex? I guess I'm seeing things or you just posted 12 of 13 places with prices exactly where we said they would be or much less.

Moreover mlassoff didn't tell you his places was cheaper - but that his actual quote was much lower than listed on the website.

Have you never heard of negotiating or "move in specials" where they give you a month free for a years lease or whatever? Some include basic cable etc etc. So you can take at least another $100.00 per month off the figures you posted.

So yes, you are trying to make yourself seem right when you blatently ignore the numbers staring you right in the face that you typed with your own fingers. quote]

The figures I got was from an online apartment site that lists the prices of all the apartments in the selected areas/towns. You state in the list I provided, that there are 2bd in those complexes for $799/month. I went back and look at the site I originally went to and another online apartment site. The price of $799/month was for a one bedroom and others that low were for studio apartments. Arguing over what I provided or trying to contradict me is of no use. If people are interested in an apartment they can do their own research and see which price is correct.

You keep saying that you did what I say is impossible...that you made it here, so can others and that it was hard. While I don't disagree with that statement as many people can make it...it really depends on people's career and their current situation. Would I ever tell someone making $40k "move here, it will be a piece of cake" nope. Would I tell someone making $60k+ to move here and that it wouldnt be that hard...yup. You keep referring back to yourself, so I read a little more into these posts. You had previously stated that back in 97 you were making six figures and that you bought your house a few years later (after living with roomates) for under $200k. If I was making six figures I could EASILY afford a house by myself, but I'm not. You were lucky to get the promotion you did and the salary you did...however, not everyone is as lucky and people I know who have their Masters degrees are struggling to get promoted just so they can make $50-60k. They often get passed up for external canidates who can bring a "fresh prespective" into the company. It's hard to get promoted these days and even harder to get promoted to a six figure salary. So needless to say, your situation and my situation are VERY different. Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,182,367 times
Quote:
By that statement you proved my point exactly! With a college degree you were working three jobs to make it in CT and then moved back home. That is what I have been saying all along. It's not rough for me, not when compared to a LOT of people I know (laid off, pay cuts, hours taken away, etc). I have a decent job, a cheap rent for the area (the people just moving in are paying twice what I pay b/c I got in when it was low). You also stated you and your husband bought a condo again proving another point...that it's hard to buy something when you have one income. Could you have done it?? I don't know your situation, maybe you could have.

Like I said, the point I am trying to make is what the post is titled "Living in CT-out of reach?". Notice the "?". For me, not living paycheck to paycheck is not an option in CT...neither is buying a house. The statistics I originally posted point out that houses, these days, are unaffordable to 60% of CT residents. That is not something I made up, those are facts.

If I was looking for info on a place I was thinking about moving to I would want honest opinions from ALL types of people living there (rich, poor, middleclass, established, starting out, etc) since I would like to know all perspectives before jumping into a very BIG decision. That is what I try to accomplish with my posts. I dont want to argue or get into a "he said, she said".

I was also out on my own at a young age...17 actually, yes I graduated HS early. I have busted my rear ever since so "adulthood" isn't something you have to tell me about.
Out of curiosity, what is your degree in?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,766,605 times
I worked three jobs to save up to own a home, because I didn't want to rent. I could've easily afforded to rent again, in a luxury apartment. And then when I moved out I'd get nothing back for my efforts. I wanted to OWN a home. So I paid a couple hundred to my parents every month, while I saved money.

The point I'm making, is that NO ONE should expect to make it anywhere, right out of college. You need to build up a savings, and that means, that you have to do without the luxury apartment, without the pool, without the ritzy neighborhood. You start out humble and EARN your holier-than-thou attitude. From what I've seen in your posts thus far, you haven't earned it yet.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,235,828 times
Quote:
You had previously stated that back in 97 you were making six figures and that you bought your house a few years later (after living with roomates) for under $200k...
Well since you are now making this personal...I made that salary for my last year back in 97, I purchased my house in 2002. I also had to pay out $70,000.00 in a lump sum and start over - again none of your business but just a little reality check.

Quote:
You were lucky to get the promotion you did and the salary you did...however, not everyone is as lucky
Well, that statement says it all and explains why you are where you are. It had nothing to do with luck. I WORKED FOR IT from the ground up, no one gave me a thing. I have a 4 year degree in a totally unrelated field. If you look a little further you'll see that I grew up in the ghetto to a single mother. No luck involved at all. Oh you'll also find me saying this state is expensive.

Well, I guess was lucky enough to get laid off 3 times in just over three years after that due to mergers and aquisitions.

I was also "lucky" enough to take the risk and put every dime I had in the world and sink it into a business venture, and was then lucky enough to work 70 hours a week 6 days a week and earn less than 30K my first year, barely crack 50 my second and third years and continue to push for what I have today...Yea I guess I was lucky like that.

Drives me nuts when people whine about where they are, do NOTHING and then look at others who made their own way with a green eye. Stop being a victom.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” - Seneca

Last edited by JViello; 05-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: add more context

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I worked three jobs to save up to own a home, because I didn't want to rent. I could've easily afforded to rent again, in a luxury apartment. And then when I moved out I'd get nothing back for my efforts. I wanted to OWN a home. So I paid a couple hundred to my parents every month, while I saved money.

The point I'm making, is that NO ONE should expect to make it anywhere, right out of college. You need to build up a savings, and that means, that you have to do without the luxury apartment, without the pool, without the ritzy neighborhood. You start out humble and EARN your holier-than-thou attitude. From what I've seen in your posts thus far, you haven't earned it yet.
I don't want to live in a luxury apartment, and I don't want a ritzy neighborhood. I certainly don't want a holier-than-thou attitude, people with those attitudes drive me crazy. Thing is I've been humble...I've been trying to save to have a house and the only point I am making is that in CT it is hard to do (for a lot of people-not all) for some it is nearly impossible, and others totally impossible. Look at the first post, read the statistics for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It had nothing to do with luck. I WORKED FOR IT from the ground up, no one gave me a thing. I have a 4 year degree in a totally unrelated field. If you look a little further you'll see that I grew up in the ghetto to a single mother. No luck involved at all. Oh you'll also find me saying this state is expensive.

Drives me nuts when people whine about where they are, do NOTHING and then look at others who made their own way with a green eye.
I grew up in basically the same situation (of course different since no two people are alike). I know you worked for it, I wasn't doubting that. But there are a lot of people who work for that kind of promotion...bust their butt...and never get it. It's not a given that if you work hard you will get a six figure promotion, and a lot of times in corporate America (not just CT) it's not what you know it's who you know. You can't say I do nothing when you have no clue what I do or have done. I've never had anything handed to me and I've already had 3 promotions! Am I near six figures? Not at all. I also know that you said this state is expensive but just think if you never had high paying salaries or a chance to save up due to that. If I had that kind of salary for one year, I could pay off my debt (which would qualify me for a higher mortgage) then save up and put money aside so if I needed to I could take a lower paying position. I'm doing what I'm doing to survive in this state, just like you. And I don't have a "green eye", honestly I don't want what most want in this state. Give me a 1,000 sq ft house, my old car, a small tv and I'm fine. I don't want to live lavishly, I don't care if others do..that's their perogative. What I would like is for the COL in CT to stop climbing so I don't have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Out of curiosity, what is your degree in?
Business management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or