U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,125,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
.I've been trying to save to have a house and the only point I am making is that in CT it is hard to do (for a lot of people-not all) for some it is nearly impossible,
I am a CT native, left the state for college, came back for grad school, married and now am raising my children here and very happily.

Advice given to me and my generation, that has served us well is that renting is a waste of your money. Why would you want to pay someone else's equity and tax breaks?

I doubt I could afford a house at your age either, so I started out with a condo, then our first starter home and then a bigger home for our growing family.

The only time renting makes sense is if you are not sure where you want to buy in an area or you plan on moving soon. Save your money, make sure you have excellent credit, have a roommate that helps pay your mortgage and buy a home for it to be just that, your home....and it will serve you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,176,447 times
Quote:
Business management.

Whats your emphasis? Accounting? Economics? You should be able to do pretty well if you put your mind to it. How old are you? It takes time to accumulate cash you know... My wife and I had a 5 year plan; I worked for 5 years straight, maxed out on overtime, living on the road in the US and all over the world fixing airplanes and saving every dime. My point is, we sacrificed greatly, worked tons of overtime and saved most of it. I got smart, went back to school and got my mechanical engineering degree. Thats how we built the "home of our dreams" (lol). It took sacrifice, determination and hard work. You will get there too, if you want it.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Whats your emphasis? Accounting? Economics? You should be able to do pretty well if you put your mind to it. How old are you? It takes time to accumulate cash you know... My wife and I had a 5 year plan; I worked for 5 years straight, maxed out on overtime, living on the road in the US and all over the world fixing airplanes and saving every dime. My point is, we sacrificed greatly, worked tons of overtime and saved most of it. I got smart, went back to school and got my mechanical engineering degree. Thats how we built the "home of our dreams" (lol). It took sacrifice, determination and hard work. You will get there too, if you want it.
Tetto, that's a great post and I admire your story.

The problem is the OP "doesn't want to live in a condo" - "doesn't want a room mate" - "thinks she already work's hard and *deserves* more". "Isn't lucky like the rest of us" etc etc

You'll now be told "SEE YOU had to work like that just to afford your house".

The OP IMHO is intersted in "hey I want one too, but I'm not interested in making it happen" and thinks that the cheapo apartment in backwater Florida is the answer.

Forget a couple, few years of night school to get the MBA...Hogwash!

Just FYI.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM

112 posts, read 207,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Tetto, that's a great post and I admire your story.

The problem is the OP "doesn't want to live in a condo" - "doesn't want a room mate" - "thinks she already work's hard and *deserves* more". "Isn't lucky like the rest of us" etc etc

You'll now be told "SEE YOU had to work like that just to afford your house".

The OP IMHO is intersted in "hey I want one too, but I'm not interested in making it happen" and thinks that the cheapo apartment in backwater Florida is the answer.

Forget a couple, few years of night school to get the MBA...Hogwash!

Just FYI.
Actually you are misinterpreting my previous comments, JViello. I never said I don't want a condo, what I said was I don't want people above or below me (ranch style condo). That is my personal preference. I've also had roomates who didn't pay on time or missed months rent due to their own circumstances so having to deal with those issues is not something that appeals to me.

Um, as for working for something...I've worked 60+ hrs/week including working 7 days a week and two jobs as well as going to school full time (working one job though at that time). I have done this for six years, so to say that I don't want to work for something is asinine. I never doubted that you did not work for what you have. What I did say is that not everyone is LUCKY enough to get a promotion that pays six figures. I've had three promotions...worked my butt off to get them...am I at six figures? Nope! Did I ever say I deserved more??? NO. Did I say I could probably get more out of living in a state with a lower cost of living? YES.

So as far as not being interested in making it happen...I'm doing as best as I can in the situation I am in. Who are you to judge that and make assumptions on what I am going to say? Who are you to judge FL or any other state for that matter? Backwater to you may be paradise for someone else.

The entire point of my post as I have explained over and over again..is that it is expensive to live in CT, that it keeps getting worse and that some people just CANNOT do it. The statistics don't lie...go ahead look at them (see original post). Sixty percent of CT residents CANNOT afford their own home...so that means, to you, sixty percent of CT residents aren't trying their best or hardest to get what they want???

Enough of trying to prove a point and judging others, it gets no where and helps no one.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 AM

722 posts, read 1,701,896 times
Quote:
Actually you are misinterpreting my previous comments, JViello. I never said I don't want a condo, what I said was I don't want people above or below me (ranch style condo). That is my personal preference. I've also had roomates who didn't pay on time or missed months rent due to their own circumstances so having to deal with those issues is not something that appeals to me.

Um, as for working for something...I've worked 60+ hrs/week including working 7 days a week and two jobs as well as going to school full time (working one job though at that time). I have done this for six years, so to say that I don't want to work for something is asinine. I never doubted that you did not work for what you have. What I did say is that not everyone is LUCKY enough to get a promotion that pays six figures. I've had three promotions...worked my butt off to get them...am I at six figures? Nope! Did I ever say I deserved more??? NO. Did I say I could probably get more out of living in a state with a lower cost of living? YES.

So as far as not being interested in making it happen...I'm doing as best as I can in the situation I am in. Who are you to judge that and make assumptions on what I am going to say? Who are you to judge FL or any other state for that matter? Backwater to you may be paradise for someone else.

The entire point of my post as I have explained over and over again..is that it is expensive to live in CT, that it keeps getting worse and that some people just CANNOT do it. The statistics don't lie...go ahead look at them (see original post). Sixty percent of CT residents CANNOT afford their own home...so that means, to you, sixty percent of CT residents aren't trying their best or hardest to get what they want???

Enough of trying to prove a point and judging others, it gets no where and helps no one.

If u do some research by screen name, you will see that those who judge the most are the ones that complain the most. In the end, we will all be judged (even the judges). So like you said, don't waste ur time. U write very clear so if they didn't get the message, they don't want ur message.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,125,358 times
Quote:
The entire point of my post as I have explained over and over again..is that it is expensive to live in CT, that it keeps getting worse and that some people just CANNOT do it.
If you read through any of the state forums, you will find people complaining about how expensive it is, including Alabama, Mississippi and South Dakota.

In any state you will find people that are grateful and people that feel entitled to more. Human nature.

Ok, so there are parts of CT that are expensive to live but there are obviously more people able to make it than not. There will always be people living anywhere that just can't do and again, there are more people that can.

So, I would accept what you can't change and find the power and resources within you to change what you can. You control your own destiny.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
If u do some research by screen name, you will see that those who judge the most are the ones that complain the most. In the end, we will all be judged (even the judges). So like you said, don't waste ur time. U write very clear so if they didn't get the message, they don't want ur message.
Thank you for the compliment! And I agree with you 100% !

Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Default CT is losing young adults...not a surprise.

HOMEConnecticut - Zoning laws blamed for helping push young people out of Connecticut (http://www.homeconnecticut.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=190&Item id=1 - broken link)

Old 07-06-2010, 03:02 PM

24,615 posts, read 40,196,269 times
Yes, we need to allow uncontrolled sprawl like other states to retain our young people . Come on now. our biggest problem is we are located in a part of the country with limited land and a dense population. this creates a higher cost of living. Changing zoning laws would do little to change that other than distroy the beauty our state has retained. Jay

Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, we need to allow uncontrolled sprawl like other states to retain our young people . Come on now. our biggest problem is we are located in a part of the country with limited land and a dense population. this creates a higher cost of living. Changing zoning laws would do little to change that other than distroy the beauty our state has retained. Jay
There is no justification, IMO, for the high cost of living in CT...regardless of limited land...which by the way, what land is left is being demolished. Take a drive through Manchester or South Windsor...look at the construction, look at the "Acerage for sale" signs...land is for sale in massive amounts of acerage...for what? More retail stores and restaurants? That land, IMO would go to better use for affordable housing in CT. Fact is, most young aduts are moving out of CT due to housing cost issues. And the less workers in the state to pay into the states income tax system, the more taxes will increase. Just a though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or