U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 AM

15,771 posts, read 22,047,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviello View Post
no no, that would be california.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Now take those numbers and see how it can skew a place like Hartford or New London when they toss it all in the same "CT Bucket".
Most certainly. That said, I always recommend downtown New Haven as an affordable place for folks to live - that was until I did my own research when I moved back to CT and needed a place to rent for a month. Downtown New Haven prices were similar to Stamford's! But once you get away from the "trendy" areas, rent drops dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,198,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to agree with Jay. There are very nice safe places to be had for reasonable rents. It sounds like you are stuck in Meriden. You might want to consider Middletown. It is safer than Meriden, the taxes will be less and there are lots of nice condos under $120,000. Also note that you might want to consider taking a step back in order to take two steps forward. Move into a cheaper place or share an apartment for two years in order to save some money, then buy something for yourself. Get it in your mind that it will be modest and do all you can to pay it off quicker. Also consider getting a second job to earn a bit more. In the long run you will be ahead.

As for your friend who thinks she would have to move to upstate New York to make it, I think that maybe it would work if she had family there to support her but without that she probably would be worse off. For the most part jobs up there (depending where that is) are scarce and low paying. So while her costs may be lower, her pay would be too if she were able to find a job. Jay

I probably should've clarified in my original post , but $120K is the high end which I could not afford, believe it or not. As far as moving to a cheaper apartment, mine is as cheap as you get while still being *fairly* safe.

I have issues with getting roommates as I had one once that turned into a total nightmare with them ending up not wanting to pay their share. I've thought about moving in with my mother, but that requires her moving too, and she refuses to. Not even for vaild reasons, more like laziness (sorry to say) reasons. And all my friends that I WOULD consider living with live free at home or with a significant other.

I really do dislike Meriden but I am trying to stick it out while I have a cheap rent, so I can attempt to save.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 186,745 times
@JViello: 0% down mortgages? You serious? Granted our credit is not to hot right now but when I went to BoA earlier this year and asked about that they specifically told me NO ONE is doing 0% down loans anymore. We've been renting for 10 years and have just recently gotten things in order where we can start saving. Unfortunately the owner of where we rent is retiring and will be moving into our home so we have to move. But because of we hadn't started saving yet and were told no one does 0% down we had to sell our second car to get enough extra cash for a deposit on another rental.

If you know anyone doing 0% down FIXED (no way I'm doing an ARM - too many nightmare stories) on poor credit you tell me. I'll be happy to entertain a phone call to them.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM

112 posts, read 207,679 times
@JViello: Thank you for the advice! I realized I really have to "rearrange" my way of thinking on how to actually save in this state or even save to eventually move out of this state. It's going to take some work, and maybe some financial counseling (and a second job on top of my 60+hr work week )...but I'm looking into it. Your right, and I guess "where there is a will...there is a way". Guess I need to focus on my will instead of wallowing in my situation . Also, the link you provided, those condo's on Prospect are really nice..great for a roomate situation, I checked those out years ago. However, I'm done with people above or below me. I want my OWN YARD dang it!!! LOL

@ctgirlnomore: Do we know the same people??? LOL Sooo many of my girlfriends are in the situation where they could not make it on their own and are suffering in loveless marriages because of it. I could not live like that...I feel so bad for them. And with kids they cant get 2nd jobs, so they basically have no way out. Sad. I was also approved around that amount but add in condo fee's (which are generally $200/mth sometimes higher), taxes and electric (condos here usually are electic heat) and nope...I cant afford it either...even with a roomate!

@Terrormaster: You are right! I looked into FHA/CFHA loans and they now require 3%(i believe it is) down and they don't do 0% down anymore. I'm thinking it's because of the "mortage situation" and so many people losing their homes. A few yrs ago mortage officers were giving loans to EVERYONE! I saw on a news report where a woman who was making min wage was approved for a half mil mortgage and she was crying b/c she was getting forclosed on. If you are making min wage, wouldnt it click somewhere in your mind that MAYBE you couldnt afford that kind of loan?? Anyway, thats another topic!! LOL But those actions by uninformed(?) people and the lenders have hurt the people trying to get a loan now.

Also, I wanted to note that the numbers on that report were not skewed. If you look at the original post you will see that they divided each county so no, Fairfield county was not added into Hartford county and vice versa. CT is a very expensive place to live..the numbers speak for themselves and that is what I was pointing out. Also to give a heads up to people who come from areas where the COL is a LOT lower who get offered a job in CT at $40-50k thinking they are going to live it up.

Some people seem to think it's easy to get a high paying job in CT. It was pretty easy about 10yrs ago...but now it's hard. You cant get a job making $60k +/yr without some kind of degree. I worked with a woman who had her Phd and was making less than me. She took the job b/c she needed SOMETHING. She has since moved out of CT. I dont blame her...having a doctorate and making under $50k/yr...INSANE! CT is not what is was even a few years ago. For those of you who are doing well..thats great! I applaud you. But take a look at the papers once in a while...see what jobs are offering now even WITH experience. Then look at the housing prices....you will see it does not add up.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 PM

24,673 posts, read 40,256,063 times
tryingtomakeitinCT -The situation you describe is going on everywhere, not just here in Connecticut. In case you haven't heard we are in a pretty bad recession and it is effecting everyone. Your friend that left the state was lucky to find a job period. Sorry but that is just the way it is these days. Hopefully that is changing. Jay

Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM

112 posts, read 207,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
tryingtomakeitinCT -The situation you describe is going on everywhere, not just here in Connecticut. In case you haven't heard we are in a pretty bad recession and it is effecting everyone. Your friend that left the state was lucky to find a job period. Sorry but that is just the way it is these days. Hopefully that is changing. Jay
I did hear that we are in a recession. I've also heard that is turning around. I agree that anyone who finds a job in this economy is lucky, however my friend left the state PRIOR to the recession.

I've personally been looking around the country at different states to compare COL and rates of pay. There are many states where I could take a job at one dollar above that states minimum wage and life comfortably. I've also looked further into those towns and many have crime rates below a lot of nicer towns in CT.

Look, I know your pro-CT and there is nothing wrong with that. CT is a nice state and most towns have great schooling and very low crime. I am just pointing out that it's hard to live in this state unless you make a lot of money and that there is a lot of competition for decent paying jobs in this state-even prior to the recession. Our state is highly educated, which is good...but also bad. In this state having your Bachelors is like having a HS diploma in other states.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrormaster View Post
@JViello: 0% down mortgages? You serious? Granted our credit is not to hot right now but when I went to BoA earlier this year and asked about that they specifically told me NO ONE is doing 0% down loans anymore. We've been renting for 10 years and have just recently gotten things in order where we can start saving. Unfortunately the owner of where we rent is retiring and will be moving into our home so we have to move. But because of we hadn't started saving yet and were told no one does 0% down we had to sell our second car to get enough extra cash for a deposit on another rental.

If you know anyone doing 0% down FIXED (no way I'm doing an ARM - too many nightmare stories) on poor credit you tell me. I'll be happy to entertain a phone call to them.
Well, I was more referring to era before the housing crash where it was a common thing.

However, that said, and as much as I disagree with it, there are 0% or very low down (3.5%) options out there. You also have the "tax credit" which is an instant $8500 downpayment.

It took me about 3 seconds on google to find it.

100% Mortgage | Zero Down Mortgage | No Money Down Mortgage – American Bank

However, having no money AND no credit? I think you are out of luck and it's not because of high real estate costs or high taxes. Sorry.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 PM

362 posts, read 679,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Sad thing is, my friend told me if she didn't have her husband to share bills with, she couldn't make it here in CT and would've headed back home Upstate NY.

I agree with not wanting to co-sign a loan with a roommate - anything can wrong. I;ve rented with one before and well, I know..........

Also, @tryingtomakeit - it IS nice to know that you can make it on your own. As much as I hate being broke, I am happy to know I CAN do it. If I had gotten a house with my ex-in these days, I would've lost it, or had to sell it. Again, I know a couple people who ar eunhappy in their relationships but stay due financial difficulties and fear of NOT being able to make it on their own.
You're totally correct about having to be married to live in CT. that's the only way to survive. I used to live with a roommate but he ended being a coke addict who never paid the rent I'd given him.

I don't make 21 an hour, but I do live in Hartford, I can't wait to get out when I get out of school, but I am doing OK as far as living here is concerned. I make enough money to pay for my apt. although it's probably the only Apt. I can afford that's decent enough without hooligans or the roaches or rodents to bother my sleep or my pantry.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
I don't make 21 an hour, but I do live in Hartford, I can't wait to get out when I get out of school, but I am doing OK as far as living here is concerned.
Maybe I misunderstood your post but here you said you lived in Manchester?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14150689-post25.html

Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM

24,673 posts, read 40,256,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
You're totally correct about having to be married to live in CT. that's the only way to survive.
I don't agree with this. I know many singles that live here and are fine. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or